@Itchyfeet yes there are so many questions we could ask and often have to! I am not sure if THS provides a HO with some sort of check-list of what makes for a good exchange…something along the following lines and anybody feel free to chip in on this:
‘Hello HO and you must be looking forward to your break away? Here is a check list of what makes for a great exchange. We also provide a check list for sitters based on what HOs tell us’
- Please leave space for the sitter to hang clothes in the bedroom. Some drawer space and clear surfaces are also appreciated.
- Is there room in the fridge and freezer for the sitters food? Have you discarded out of date food and food no longer required?
- If you have dogs it is always seen as a common courtesy to clean any garden where the sitter will want to interact with your dog of dog poo before they arrive. The sitter check list also asks that they do likewise for your return.
- Have you agreed a back-up person with your sitter?
- Have you declared any cameras on the property (inside and outside) to your sitter? This is most important as we are sure you will agree.
- Is there free parking space either on the drive or on the street?
- Have you given the sitter all of the detail they need to look after your animals properly?
- As you are aware the sitter has the right to reasonable privacy while on the sit. No other person should be staying or arrive at the property for the duration of the sit. Where you have normally have cleaners and gardeners, this should be communicated to the sitter before the sit is offered and may need to be rescheduled for your return.
- Any trade work should not be scheduled while you are away unless the sitter reports something to you that needs urgent attention.
Would anybody like to add to this checklist and perhaps a HO could initiate something from the HOs perspective that a sitter could refer to? @Angela-CommunityManager @Vanessa-Admin Im sure alot of this information is around in one form or another and there may even be check-lists that I have not seen? If there are not its worth considering. Obviously a list would want to be weighted with the most important points first up eg details on animals, issues around use of cameras, no other people staying at house, tradework etc etc. Again this is all offered in good faith and in the spirit of the forum being a place where we can raise issues of concern. Have a nice day all.