Living with a feline alarm clock

I love Pichu the feline alarm clock I’m caring for but am longing for the day when I can wake up slowly in my own time. Pichu a gorgeous black and white cat is an affectionate and friendly cat … during the day. He has one unfortunate trait - he likes to have his breakfast served no later than 6am! Any time from 5.30am he sits on the floor by my bed and YOWLS - very loudly and non-stop until I give in, wake up, get up and provide breakfast. Not a peep out of him for the rest of the day - just a silent but penetrating stare when he requires his daily brush or a top-up of food. He’s on a strict diet so I can’t leave food out overnight as he always eats his daily allowance before bedtime. I still have three months to go with this feline alarm clock without an off button. Just as well I love him.

3 Likes

Diffent male hormones :expressionless:

1 Like

Wow! Just curious, did the homeowner make you aware of this before you accepted the sit or did they hide this from you? They may have coping tips for you. Maybe get a timed feeder?

1 Like

@Southernsitter @Provence @Windtalker @Wendy

One certain canine alarm clock comes to mind … Joey an Australian Terrier who could spring 4 feet in the air from a sitting position. Every morning at 5.30 am it was “Boing, Boing, Boing” kangaroo style at the side of the bed. It was winter in the Okanagan, Canada at least I got a start on snow clearing before starting work …

Screenshot 2021-04-04 at 14.17.14

2 Likes

No, I wasn’t warned. Originally the sit was only for 3 months so initially I didn’t worry about it too much. But now the sit has extended to 8 months as the owners, who are working overseas, have had to delay their plans to return to collect the cats. The other cat (female) is only noisy during the day when she talks to herself in the mirror! Border restrictions and quarantine requirements for the home-owners mean I have another 3 months to go with the noisy boy.

1 Like

I adore terriers and wouldn’t mind being woken up by them as at least they’d make me smile and be full of fun and mischief. Noisy boy is just plain grumpy until he’s been fed and then ignores me until he’s ready to take over my lap later in the day.

2 Likes

It’s always frustrating when owners don’t warn you of things like this. We’ve had several similar situations like this and the saving grace is always that the pet(s) are otherwise adorable and that we’ve never felt it was obfuscated by the owners in a malicious manner. We tend to think that owners are accustom to it and simply don’t think about bringing it up ahead of time.

Though, as @Provence said, we always make sure to mention it in our review for future sitters.

1 Like

With 3 months to go, I would seriously think about investing in a timed feeder. You can sometimes pick them up cheaply used, if the owner won’t pay for it. There is a nice way to alert future sitters about the issue, saying something like “This sit is perfect for early risers”

3 Likes