Narrowing down applications

No Kelownagurl, that is not what I said. I look at a variety of factors, consider what I need to do to deliver good care and make decision on what needs to be done as a result of an owner decision. As they say, “ if the sea gets a little rough, one needs to adjust the sails”

Sorry, I misunderstood. You were saying you ask IF the pets are chipped. OK that makes sense :).

I too have a multi-page list of questions we ask as well. A few are important enough to be asked in our initial interview to help us decide if we want to do the sit. The rest are normally covered in the welcome guide or its equivalent, and discussed the during the handover, but I keep my list handy so I can ask anything they haven’t mentioned on their WG.

1 Like

As a sitter I must have a different viewpoint here from the others. I don’t see this as clever at all - I wouldn’t be bothered applying on this sit whatsoever. Is the homeowner questioning if I can read? Yes I know how to read so you don’t have to ask me a keyword - I find that insulting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The HO’s are just trying to weed out the applicants who don’t read their ad. How would you suggest they do it?

3 Likes

I agree.
Especially for some desirable, house sits that attract 8+ applicants that are in awesome locations with pools, beaches and all that. It would be difficult to try and find someone when there are glamourous feedback reviews and references to read and quite a few to consider.

Time is valuable. I know when I eventually list my home for a pet sitter, I would want the right person/people there. A simple request of using a key word would at least narrow it down.

1 Like

There are many reasons for me to ask about being chipped. In some places, there are fines for the pet not having proper I’d such as tags and chips and if it is an on the spot fine,does the sitter have to pay the fine? If the dog is one of those “escape artist” breeds (eg Airdale), it could happen to the best of us. Sometimes a vet will recommend not chipped a pet and then the owner knows to ask for a vet letter stating chipping is not advisable for this particular pet.

3 Likes