Narrowing down applications

We recently applied for a popular sit and the HO was using a clever way to narrow down applications. They had a keyword, in this case “rainbow” which was hidden in the responsibilities section. The HO was asking all applicants to use the keyword at the start of their application. We thought that was a very creative way to figure out if the sitters have thoroughly read though all the information.

9 Likes

Interesting. Does it say right in listing that it is a key word?

We always read listings super carefully several times before applying to make sure it’s a sit we are willing to do, so I would be surprised to miss something like that. But who knows?

3 Likes

I’ve seen something similar where the HO said right at the end of the listing to mention a certain phrase in your application. It’s a good way of checking who read the whole of the listing carefully!

4 Likes

Very clever indeed. I have seen that a lot in job listings back in the day when I was job hunting.

2 Likes

I’ve seen something similar as well. I’ve also seen this in job post listings!

I remember, way back when, that Van Halen (80s/90s American rock band) did something similar to ensure each concert venue read the very detailed contract. Van Halen specified that in the bowl of M&Ms in the dressing room, there should be absolutely no brown ones. If there were brown M&Ms, it was an indication the contract had not be read in full and was a red flag that other details had been missed.

3 Likes

I recently had a similar request, making sure prospective sitters read the details required.

1 Like

That is very clever. I have not seen that, but we recently had a HO who sent us a list of questions to answer before they decided upon finalists to do video call with. I thought that it was an efficient way to screen candidates.

5 Likes

I’ll try this for next time I am looking for a sitter :rofl:

3 Likes

Love it as this was a pet peeve of mine when we were looking for sitters. We specifically said no children and no other pets and I couldn’t tell you how many people asked if they could bring their kids and/or a pet. If they can’t read those directions, how can you expect them to read the info you need in the welcome letter.

6 Likes

Perhaps sitters could do a similar thing in their profile to make sure owners have read it fully @BunnyCat. We, too, could then check all those invitations quickly.

4 Likes

That’s really clever of the HO!

:smile: I will look out for that.
cheers
F.

Yes I have a list of questions for homeowners and can tell how they respect my wants and needs by their response to my questions. If they can’t be bothered to answer my questions, why should I bother with that sit when there are so many to choose from?

1 Like

I hear you! I had “solo traveler” in my headline, and still received couple applicants. Oy.

2 Likes

Love that! What types of questions do you ask? I’m a new member, and found my first sitter, but I like that idea for future ads.

2 Likes

I ask for pics of all areas that need to be used only, pets chipped with id,diet, behaviours, emergency info, any sticky windows/doors/parking space/ public transport/ unusual pet habits and a whole host of things. I use other forums that maybe more pet focused to help me deliver really good care.

In my profile I state:

But I still receive invitations for HOs to house sit which I have to decline - clearly they have not read my profile at all

1 Like

Hi Andrew, I have a similar heading and have received four invites since the weekend. Only one of those was personalised and two received with no message at all!

An old HR trick and a good one for these circumstances

You won’t sit for pets that aren’t chipped?

1 Like