Nashville, TN over Thanksgiving?

Hi! I’m doing a cat sit starting tomorrow thru 11/28 (Tue). I’m driving from Texas to Nashville; first time there. Anyone want to meet up?

Also, if anyone has any tips/recs, I’m all ears. To narrow that scope, I’m really not a tourist, and I’m more of an introvert. I’m also on a pretty self-restrictive diet. I want to check out Nashville to see if I can just enter random suburbian cafes, read a book, and hear live music from people who aren’t famous. :grin:

I do plan to check out the life-size Parthenon. And if there’s a veggie/fish version of Nashville hot chicken, that sounds yummy. I don’t eat meat except fish, nor do I eat dairy, eggs, empty carbs, or added sugar. Love fruit/veggies/salads/nuts/fish or a buffet with such.

I’ve heard a lot about Broadway, so I may try to at least walk down it during the day. Total neophyte, including country music.

–Geoff

4 Likes

I highly recommend checking out some of Nashville’s more low-key venues. The Listening Room Cafe has great acoustic music and a cozy atmosphere. Cafe Coco is a favorite of mine for coffee and snacks while reading a book. I’m sure you’ll find plenty of options to fit your dietary restrictions.

4 Likes

Nashville at night is a loud crazy scene, especially in most bars/restaurants. I would go during the day to check out local bands and music to avoid the noisy party crowds at night. If you have a car, Franklin TN which is near is a cute historic town. Not sure what kind of restrictive diet you have but Puckets in Franklin, good stuff.

2 Likes

We really enjoyed the National Museum of African American Music. There is a free tree-lighting event there on 11/28, if you are still there. The Nashville Farmers’ Market and the Tennessee State Museum are nice too and have a free parking lot. The Opryland hotel will be decorated for the holidays and is incredibly beautiful inside. You can park for free at the mall next-door and walk over. There are also many beautiful parks for hiking/exploring. We did go to the music clubs mostly in the daytime and left before the rowdy, drunk folks took over. I would stay away from the newer clubs that are owned by celebrity country music stars and go for more authentic clubs like Tootsie’s. If you like Bluegrass music, the Station Inn has free jam sessions on Sundays at 7pm- very fun to listen or participate, if you are a picker.

5 Likes

Hello @geoff.hom Sadly no Nashville suggestions as we have not yet been! But just to say have an amazing time and we look forward to any meet-up photos or just Nashville/cat photos in general. :guitar: :cat2: :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks, @Candyapple24! “The Listening Room Cafe” looks neat! I may try to go tomorrow. Cafe Coco looks temporarily closed.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! It’s a battle between my introversion and seizing the opportunity. =) At least the weather is beautiful!

1 Like

Just an update to share. Yesterday, I went to “The Listening Room Cafe” for a casual lunch; the singer (Luke Stevens) was great! Mix of originals and covers. Two people from the audience went up to sing.

Drove down Broadway just to see the crowds. Then to the Parthenon that makes Nashville “the Athens of the South,” lol.

Sitting for four cats, three black. One has asthma.

Honestly, I am content now to just chill within 5’ of the suburbs. But if I were more adventurous, I’d visit Santa’s Pub and the Blue Bird Cafe’s open mic.

Thanks, everyone!

10 Likes

It looks great @geoff.hom ! How is it going with the inhaler?

@geoff.hom You’re welcome! Looks like a fun day! Enjoy chilling near the suburbs, and if you feel adventurous, check out Santa’s Pub and the Blue Bird Cafe’s open mic! :coffee:

1 Like

@Candyapple24: Thanks. I didn’t feel too adventurous the rest of my trip; well, food-wise I did. Had some great Ethiopian! Someday I’ll grab a friend and check out Santa’s. =)

@mars: The inhaler went fine in the end. Maybe I got lucky or was just tenacious, but I was able to corral the cat, Jasper, each morning. He seemed scared, but once I got the inhaler on him, he was fine and he never fought back. And then he’d go eat at his food bowl like normal. I’ll attach some pics:

(AeroKat inhaler)

(the lone white cat is Sweetie)

(this cat is Boo)

It would’ve been cute to get a pic of Jasper taking the inhaler, but that would’ve required sitting as a couple. =)

5 Likes