New types of sitters ? Another article on pet sitting

While we are discussing the responsibilities of house and pet sitting I would like to comment on the THS marketing that came up on my screen this morning.
Pet sitting appears to be comparable to a free stay in an Airbnb. I feel this will attract more members which of course is good for profits but I also feel it will attract a different calibre of sitter. Only time will tell if that has an affect on the THS reputation.
A stay in an Airbnb enables you to enjoy your break with no responsibilities. You can spend your days and evenings as you choose.
At the end of the stay you can walk away leaving your bed unmade and someone else will clean up after you.
You can cancel up to 24hrs before arrival if your plans change.
On the other hand if you commit to a sit you are responsible for the security of the home and the safekeeping of the pets.
You will need to arrange your day around the pet’s routine and update the owners as to how things are going.
You will be expected to deal with any situations that arise.
At the end of the stay at the very least you should strip the bed and leave the home as you found it, but many sitters go above and beyond.

9 Likes