Owners want local sitters

People are wanting free pet sitting. I don’t agree with it except to build reviews.

@tortimom - Petsitting without having to spend cash is literally the whole concept of trusted house sitters in a nutshell.

If you don’t agree with it, you may be on the wrong forum group?

3 Likes

I can assure you I am not in the wrong forum group and I fully understand the premise of not having to spend cash, but free pet sitting isn’t the only reason people join this group. They do it to travel, enjoy animals and have an adventure. I was referring to local sitters who don’t need the reviews. Some people are taking advantage of the system. I for one, do not.

@tortimom Your comment makes no sense to me! If a local sitter agrees to Sit for a local host and both are happy with the arrangement then why do you object? And how do you know they don’t need the reviews? Every 5* review or feedback helps to build the strength of that members profile! In what way are people taking advantage of the system??

5 Likes

@tortimom I used to sit for a local family on about 5-6 occasions. It benefitted both of us: they had a boat which they sailed when they had a chance, and 2 elderly dogs that needed looking after. I got a break from day-to-day home life by spending some time at their place, and I got to read/browse their amazing library and got to spend times with some old doggies! Everyone’s situation is a bit different.

8 Likes

@tortimom - To be honest I am totally confused as to who you think is taking advantage of ‘the system’ - is it the home hosts or the sitters?

Either way does not make sense to me. When we pay our membership fee there is no stipulation that you must live a certain distance away from the sit you are applying for. What difference does it make if it is a mile or ten thousand miles away?

5 Likes

@Patforcier I have also viewed some sits that were different from the normal. One in the UK was stating that the HO worked away, I think it was 2 or 3 nights a week and the HO had put sets of dates every week till end of January and presumably would add further if responses were positive.

Initially my reaction was that the HO was being a bit cheeky, but had made it clear the reasoning behind the dates.

So I figure the tactic will either work and may suit someone who happens to need a break those days or it won’t and the HO will have to move to an alternative paid platform.

I have been contacted a few times for local sits, I consider these to be within 30-45mins, but have declined. Sometimes the HO hasn’t read that I travel with my dogs or I’ve not been available to help when they’ve been let down and desperate.

I wouldn’t say never to doing local as it might be that the pets or animals to be cared for would really interest me or I may not have seen much of the area.

I’d certainly steer clear of others you’ve mentioned where jobs need doing unless clearly stated and good reasoning behind the request.

The sitters. I’m sorry you miss my point. Yo each his own but please don’t belabor this.

Vicki S.

1 Like

Actually the homeowners who want a local free sit. Not the sitters.

Vicki S.

@tortimom to save confusion rather than have contradictory messages it might be best to edit or delete the incorrect one.

1 Like

I’ve actually found a fairly regular housesitting gig around the corner from me through THS, owners work abroad at least once a month
My lifestyle doesn’t really account for pets, so getting to house-sit some very well behaved dogs who can a) be left b) come to work with me really fills that gap in my life! They never take advantage and know that I can’t do holidays because I like to do sits further afield (and during those periods they normally find someone since it’s a popular town!). But I think this was very very lucky. Because they work abroad a lot, I think having the same person is less stressful for them as well. I have been approached by other people locally, but normally for dogs that can’t be left whilst I’m at work.

4 Likes

I just saw a posting this morning in an area not far from me which I really like. I did my very first sit in this area and have done a few since. In the heading the owners indicate “out of town sitters need only apply” which I interpret as them not wanting local sitters. In the body of their posting they indicate they mention they travel a lot and would like to build a relationship with reliable sitters. I can’t think of a better way of building a good relationship than with local sitters. I’ve been asked back to local sits regularly so I’m quite baffled by this listing. Perhaps I’m reading it wrong!

2 Likes

Maybe they want to avoid applicants who could have friends nearby - friends that they might invite over? As a host, that would be a concern for me… Once bitten, forever paranoid.

1 Like

Could be. I know some homeowners wonder why local sitters apply but that’s how I got started with THS eight years ago and I still occasionally apply on a local sit.

1 Like

@Globetrotter I must honestly admit that when I began this journey as a pet parent, I could not understand someone local sitting for our baby. It seemed odd and I did the same thing about shunning away local sitters. Later, it was explained to me why some sitters want to stay in their local area…sometimes their homes are filled with many family members and they need a break, their home is being remodeled, or they just want to get those first few sits under their belt before they make the big journey away from home. After that, it made total sense to me and I changed my thinking about the subject.

I agree they may feel the sitter might not stay over for the night, or have friends over, but I think that would be the total exception to the rule…

7 Likes

I think if you are attracted to the sit go ahead and apply! Explain your reasons for wanting to sit locally. As @Debbie-L says there are so many reason the host may not have considered. Make sure to have the ‘friends/vistors’ conversation incase that’s a concern for the host.
I agree - the wish for out of town sitters combined with building an ongoing relationship with a sitters sounds a little incompatible!

3 Likes

I totally agree Lokstar! This was a sit in a neighborhood we did a lovely sit in the summer and we’ve been asked back a few times by the homeowner so I wasn’t really interested in this particular sit but found it odd nevertheless.

I just saw a listing that asks a sitter to care for her pet in their own home rather than stay at her house.

Hi @AnnaBaker could you Direct Message me the details please?
Thank you for flagging.

1 Like

Hi Angela, same as Anna - i saw a listing that asks a sitter to care for her pet in their own home rather than stay at her house - how can I direct-message you the details? Kind regards