Owners want local sitters

@lalalein94 Thank you for your post. Angela is currently offline, however, you can always direct message any of us moderators (click on our name and you will see a message option) You can then send us the link to the listing in question. You can also email support@trustedhousesitters.com and Membership Services will pick it up. Thank you, Carla

2 Likes

Why would you want to house sit for a stranger, in your own location, FOR FREE?!

The value of providing a $100/day (rate in our area) service for FREE, is getting to stay somewhere awesome for FREE.

Just baffles me…

Hello, @Collie1313 I would like to wish you a very warm welcome to the community forum.

Thank you for contributing to this thread. It is great to hear how members use TrustedHousesitters. We also like to visit new places and it is a great opportunity to explore and adventure.
We also enjoy exploring our local area with local sits and when we can do a repeat sit as we get so attached to the pets and have made some wonderful connections.

You can also add your THS sitter profile to your forum profile for others to view and give helpful feedback.
Here is how:

Where is on your bucket list to visit or sit?

Best wishes Carla

I can absolutely see why you’d think this but I’ve done a few sits in my home city over the years and have really quite enjoyed it. I get to know new parts of the city plus it’s a nice break away, a change of scene with lovely animal companionship. The other advantage is if I forget to pack something, which I almost always do, I can just nip home and grab it!

1 Like

@Collie1313 I can see why you might be baffled, but I can tell you from first-hand experience, just this last weekend, we stayed no more than 15 miles from our own home and got to enjoy two of the sweetest pups I ever met. Yes, it was in the same town, but it was a two fold win-win for us. First, we were able to help out a fellow pet lover as she needed to go out of town on business and was desperately trying to find a sitter, and second, the sit was in our downtown area full of great restaurants and coffee shops. We were able to just walk to a great restaurant instead of driving, paying to park, etc.

All sitters and PP’s have reasons why they want something in particular, and I think there will always be “someone for anyone” with our members.

6 Likes

Hi @Collie1313 - I think it depends on what you consider your own location to be. Next door? same street? 10 minutes away?

You often don’t have to go far to be in a location that feels completely different.

The last permanent address we had was an apartment in the middle of a big city in the UK. We loved city living but we had no outside space and it did get noisy at the weekends. One stop on the train or 15 minutes drive would easily take us to the quiet leafy suburbs with their big houses and big gardens on the outskirts of the city.

Also, with utility costs at an all-time high, I think quite a saving can be made by locking up your house for a couple of weeks to care for the house down the road

1 Like

I love doing local sitting!

I’ve sat for a place for a few days in my town because they had an expansive view of the ocean… which I did not have.
I’ve sat for a local HO because she had goats, which I do not have.
My cat died and I was not ready to make another 17-year commitment again quite yet, so I was thrilled to sit for local cats.

All free local escapes without dealing with airports or time zone changes!

Also, when you do paid sits, the HOs often treat you differently. I love the community feel that comes with a fair trade, a win-win-win.

8 Likes

I’m new to Trusted House sitters and I am looking for local pet sitters to stay in my home. My reason is I have a senior dog that I need someone to spend a good amount of time with, tourists may be likely to take off seeing sites and not spending enough time at my home.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Sweet-Mother-Of-Pearl. I can understand your reasoning for wanting a local for your elderly dog. You still need to be quite choosy though in your sitter as there’s no guarantee they wouldn’t keep popping home all the time. Hopefully this wouldn’t happen. Don’t disregard sitters who aren’t local. We’re not all tourists! The majority of sitters have the pets as their top priority, giving them so much love and care in their own home during their owner’s absence. This is even more important when the pet is elderly.

6 Likes

Hello @Sweet-Mother-Of-Pearl and welcome to the Community Forum and thank you for joining in the conversation. :slightly_smiling_face:

As @temba mentions, please don’t disregard sitters who are not local for the same reasons as @temba mentioned.

For reference you can also add your TrustedHousesitters profile to your Forum profile by following the attached link should you wish to. :blush:

4 Likes

I was so surprised to see that sitters do this for free! I will definitely want to tip them something, especially if they do a good job watching my dog.

1 Like

The best tip you can give a sitter is a clean home and honest review…:grin:

3 Likes

I understand the stay-cation angle.
I guess I just enjoy my own bed enough to be willing to drive.
Different strokes & different folks & stuff…

1 Like