Poop MIA šŸ’©

Please bear in mind this is in the ā€œfunā€ category and that taking a dog out for a walk requires poop-scooping; not negotiable.

We find ourselves frequently doing a certain type of sit; multi dog (3+), often large or even giant breeds, at rural homes with a lot of surrounding (mostly securely fenced) land belonging to the HO and where the owners often advise against or prohibit taking the dogs out on leads, often the dogs wonā€™t all fit in the car! We are two sitters, which means we canā€™t watch the third+ dog all the time whilst out exercising them. Inevitably this means that dog 3 knows this and makes a specific effort to wander to an unobserved part of a field for a sneaky dump. Weā€™re talking large dogs remember, not Chihuahuas.

So, the outcome is that I (for the husband abhors poop and it is the single rule of our sitting adventures that I am exclusive poop monitor at all times) find myself field walking, usually in the rain, in the 24 hour cleaning frenzy period at the end of a sit, looking for poop. I just collect anything that might be poop - wild animal poop, worm casts, clumps of mud - and return with carrier bags full of individually bagged items. The horror of an owner returning and happening upon a pile I have missed is unbearable to me; the prospect of a ā€œdidnā€™t clear up after my dogsā€ review might kill me.

I just want to hear that Iā€™m not aloneā€¦

It gets difficult at dusk, now also with autumn leaves in the grass. And then on occasion I have only been able to find cold poop in the area where I had seen the dog doing its business.

@Saltrams Yep - walking up and down the large garden in straight lines 2 metres apart scanning the ground!

At my current sit they have a new toy, a robot mower. I live in fear of it mowing right through an undiscovered poop and having to be cleaned! The dog has a dog flap, so can access the garden 24 hours a day.

If thereā€™s a yard, I take the dog out and pick up right after. If thereā€™s a dog door to the yard, I check at various times of day, depending on what their human says is their routine. Before I leave sits, I do one last check, in case I missed anything.

I donā€™t like to leave poop lying around for long, because it attracts flies.

I did a sit where the dogs had been trained to sleep in the garage and to pee and poo on pads overnight, so in that case I picked up their poo and changed the pads every morning.