Pregnancy/baby

Should you inform pet owners you are pregnant? (although they can tell at some stage)
We informed a couple we used to petsit for regularly, maybe 3-4 times a year, that we are expecting and we have not heard from them since (we follow their pet’s facebook page and they have been away many times since)

And should you let them know if you have a baby?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Laluna and welcome to the forum. You ask two very different questions. If you being pregnant does not affect your ability to do the sit, why do you feel a need to mention it? Also, what stage along you are in your pregnancy might make a big difference, but I can’t be the judge of that. Your individual factors and the sit requirements are the gauge for that.

I’m not sure on your second question. If you’re asking whether you should share your news with the homeowner when the baby arrives, that’s your personal choice.

As to why you have not heard from homeowners who you sat for regularly, since you shared your news, well there’s no way any of us can second guess that.

If you have questions concerning how to manage your sits when your family structure changes, you should contact @Therese for assistance.

4 Likes

Congratulations on your new life and I wish you every joy and well being.
This is a a tricky one. Physically from your position, if you have no restrictions in activity, no risk factors that have been identified by your care provider, you are free to do as you choose, when and where you choose.
If you are a cat person, then you must let your provider know and use the precautions as described or cease caring for cats as there is high parasitic risks (toxoplasmosis)with cleaning cat litter boxes. This is a conversation to have with your care provider.
Now that being said, a HO may decline you or be wary of you because of the liability risk. Not just with cats but of any personal injury should occur while pet sitting. This is something that is a realistic concern so don’t be put off by it.
As I always say, crucial conversations are necessary and the priorities of all involved should be respected mutually.
Talk to your care provider and be open in your discussions with HOs in your application process.
Remember that you and your baby’s wellbeing come first.
Best wishes
I was a certified obstetrical nurse and educator for 28 years.

13 Likes

@Amparo This deserves :clap: and :heart:. As always, you are a wise woman with insightful feedback. OK, now back to your balcony and wine. :wine_glass: you jet-lagged traveller. :sleeping:

2 Likes

thank you for the advice

2 Likes

wow Amparo thank you for your response. The liability risk is what I was trying to explain, I personally am not worried as I feel confident in my physical abilities, sitting choices, and experience, however, I can imagine some pet owners might not want the worry. That is why I wanted to ask for recommendations on how open to be when applying for sits and whether or not to share the information.

2 Likes

Thank you, I suppose I worry it might affect the pet owner’s perception for example they might feel it is an extra responsibility or worry they would not want in case an incident or illness occurs. Though I personally feel confident in looking after pets and choosing appropriate sits, they might decide it is unsuitable.

1 Like

I think @Amparo has given you excellent information, from the viewpoint of both a sitter and a professional. My suggestion would be to focus on communication, with everyone being comfortable that it’s a good match. In this case, it would be asking what might feel like an awkward question - ‘Do you have any reservations or concerns, given that I am pregnant? If so, I’d prefer that we discuss them, to hopefully put your mind at ease.’ My mantra once more - communication is key. I would recommend either a personal visit or video chat, depending on distance.

Keep in mind you don’t know the homeowner’s experience with pregnancy either. I’ll use @Amparo and myself as examples, pretending we are two homeowners. @Amparo has years of professional experience, along with having raised her own children. I’ve never been pregnant, so in many ways can’t relate. You don’t know your audience/homeowner, until you ask. :wink:

6 Likes

Excellent advice thank you @Amparo our members are amazing their knowledge and expertise across a huge range of subjects never ceases to amaze or impress …

I hope you have your question answered @Laluna

2 Likes

Hi @Laluna
This is akin to full disclosure.
It is not a must to say but it allows the HO to make informed choices as well.
We have to always view the situation from the other person’s position.
How would you feel if someone withheld information that could be a decision making factor?
It’s a challenge but if your care team, and that includes you, sees no obstacles then your task is to find those HO that are in agreement.
They are out there.
All the best. :heart:

1 Like

Yes definitely, the advice is invaluable and very helpful, really appreciate it🙂

1 Like

Thank, the advice has been really helpful and invaluable.

2 Likes

Hi there, personally I don’t think being pregnant per se needs to be communicated up to a certain point, however as a HO I would be concerned if a sitter was close to term… As to once the baby is born, I definitely think this should be disclosed as we would not accept sitters with a baby, and would not be happy if sitters arrived with a baby that we were unaware of…

2 Likes