Question for sitters on availability of sits

@prholst Did you know that you can set up more Saved Searches in the app?

2 Likes

@PVGemini Cheers, I will have a look.

But public transport in the UK is great. I’ve done sits in so called remote areas and still had easy access to amenities and always could do a bit of sightseeing. I have discovered amazing places that I would not have otherwise. Also, owners in not so popular areas tend to be really appreciative of their sitters.

2 Likes

@ChristineB
HO would get more applicants for short sits if they mentioned no need for a big clean etc.
Actually wording that would be difficult though as it could be abused

I guess you could say something like “you just need to clean after yourself, strip the bed and leave linen in the laundry”. The requirements for keeping the litter tray or disposing of pets’ poo will be listed anyway.
But, you’re right this could also raise a reaction like “What!!! Would you ever expect me to do more than that!
It could also be more specific. “ No thorough cleaning needed but, please, no leftovers or dishes unwashed” or anything that the owner doesn’t want.
On other threads owners or even sitters in split sittings have reported finding toilets unflushed. How could anyone even think of specifying that in a listing?
I agree some incentive like that would make short sits more attractive

1 Like

I’ve seen those too. I do wonder if it would be worth me applying and carefully suggesting that although I"m interested in looking after their pets in that location, the sit is too short given the amount of effort it takes to do a sit properly (packing, travel, cleaning) and whether they’d be willing to forego expecting me to clean…!!

@teal
Its certainly a case of “if you don’t ask…”
Good luck

I decided to go nomad after October, needed to go a certain route from Philly to LA and was able to get sits. And even after LA, heading east until mid Jan. Then the sits dried up – for my preferred route on I-10. Hence, my post about competition for attractive sits, like in FL during Jan and Feb. I have my saved searches. But only 2 in 3 weeks have shown up, for Jan and Feb.

The more limited your parameters, the more limited your options. Your needs and desires are important, of course, but they limit the scope of what you’ll be offered. Just for fun, why not try opening up the dates, change the # of dogs, etc. to see what you get ? This will give you a bigger picture of what is out there.

I don’t have limits on pets. But I do have limits on dates Jan and Feb. Which I think is pretty wide open. Though I have one until Jan 20th. So 6 week window and southern states seem pretty wide open.

1 Like