Sitters saving listing but not applying?

Hi all, I’m new to the site. I posted a listing a month ago for a sit coming up in early June and got lots of saves but no applications. We ended up having to hire someone. I have another listing for far in the future posted but the same thing is happening—saves but no applications. Is this normal? Am I supposed to reach out to invite people instead of waiting for applications?

Maybe people are turned off by our listing for some reason. We have a lovely home in a cute town. We have five pets but they aren’t high maintenance. Just dog walking twice a day and feeding cats.

1 Like

Welcome @keelyreyes to the forum.

Sitters usually :heart: favourite a sit because they like the look of it but are not available for the stated dates . When a sitter favourites a listing they are alerted each time new dates are posted .

If many have saved your listing it would suggest that it’s attractive to sitters but the dates don’t match their availability.

There’s no harm in reaching out to these sitters.

I notice that you have described the things to do in your area which is great . You mention hiking - but would this be possible, how long can your dogs be left alone for or can the dogs be taken on a hike - perhaps you could add this information?

8 Likes

I save listings if it’s in a desired location, I don’t want to forget about the listing, or desired dates. I’m usually not ready to apply right at that moment. If I’m applying for a local sit, I don’t mind short 3-5 day sits because I don’t need to go out to sightsee. My family is just happy to hang out with the pets. But if we’re going to go a long distance to a location we have not been before, short sit dates won’t allow us to properly take care of the animals as well as to experience all of the uniqueness of the local town. We also take into account the number of animals and gage whether or not we can take care off all the responsibilities, spoil them rotten with affection, and still have time to go sightsee. Needs to be a win / win. Although your listing would not pop up on my radar because I only look for listings that are family friendly.

4 Likes

Hi we don’t allow members to share their listings in posts however if you clink on the forum members name a box will appear and in @keelyreyes box is the URL link to her listing. You should be able to see it from there.

3 Likes

I have saved numerous housesits but the dates haven’t seemed to match my availability.

I have also unsaved members that I have house sit for or thought they might be a good match but having dealt with them or read their provided feedback I noticed were very picky and expected all high and mighty.

2 Likes

@keelyreyes as @silversitters stated, I have gone through and favorited places and homes/pets I am interested in sitting for in the future or when they post a sit, I get a notification immediately and that helps to nudge me to send an application. I have been invited to several sits and I feel bad telling them that I am not currently available until (date in future) and that I look forward to being able to spend quality time in the future. I didn’t realize when I first started saving to my favorites that I would be invited without an application. I always, always apologize for the inconvenience and ask for hopefully a future sit with them

1 Like

Hi @keelyreyes - Your listing looks ok. You say that it is not accessible by public transport but also do not say that sitters need a car, does this mean the taxi service is good or your place is walkable to most places?

When did you panic and pay for sitters for your June holiday? Before that, you should have contacted THS to ask for help in boosting your listing and also adding it to other THS social media platforms.

November is a long way away so I would not worry yet. Many sitters do not like to book too far in advance for fear of unexpected circumstances popping up that would force them to cancel

Good Luck

2 Likes

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I will keep trying :slight_smile: As for transportation, our area is not really walkable as it is in the suburbs. Not sure how taxi/uber service is but I will research and add that information to the listing.

Hi, I’m currently in my free trial and just boosted my listing for August, debating whether to take the plunge and sign up, depending on applications. 4 people favourited me, I contacted 2 (as I am not good with last minute, I absolutely would have panicked too!) and invited them to sit (I waited for the refusal first). No 2 seems nice and we video chat on Tuesday, fingers crossed! I think people also like to be reached out to, it might be the difference between looking and applying maybe?

2 Likes

Hi @Helen74 and welcome to the forum. That’s great news that you have a video chat arranged after reaching out to a sitter who favourited your listing.

I once favourited a sit in Scotland I had spotted while browsing new listings (we are in south west England) but wasn’t sure about applying because of the distance. The homeowners sent us an invitation and we went ahead and did the sit. So you are right, it can sometimes make the difference between looking and applying. It was a great sit, we’d definitely return if the opportunity arose. We discovered a great region of Scotland that we’d love to get to know netter too!

Hello, I’m also new but a sitter.
I am saving lots because i love the animals and would like to care for them at some point…I’m not applying as i cant do those dates. However, I hope to be able to sit for those families in the future and saving will make them easier to find when/if they request other dates.:blush:

1 Like

Welcome Marie! I hope THS brings you as much joy as it has me!
I too save sits that appeal to me but that I cannot meet their current dates. I have had conversations with hosts that way sometimes if they reach out. It is nice to set up a communication for future possibilities.

2 Likes

It may simply be they like your listing but the dates don’t work for them. Perhaps, you’re either listing during very active periods when people already have other sits or periods when people travel less than normal.

2 Likes

Hello @Helen74 and a warm welcome to TrustedHousesitters and to the Community Forum :wave:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

That’s great to hear that you have a video call arranged for Tuesday and fingers crossed all goes well :crossed_fingers:t2:

For reference you can also add your TrustedHousesitters profile on to your Forum profile by following the attached link, should you wish. This will then enable others to offer you helpful advice and feedback and will also give your listing extra exposure!

I have attached a thread and a link to a blog you should also find helpful

Also, remember you can use the spyglass symbol at the top of the page next to the TrustedHousesitters logo and search for any questions that you may have as they have most likely already been answered on here and of course if not then please just ask!

I have attached a thread below, it would be great if you could join in with this as we think you could offer great feedback and your input would be a great addition. :blush:

1 Like

Hi @keelyreyes. As a sitter I can agree with others in that I favour sits that look interesting but the current sit dates don’t work.

1 Like

Hi … where is your location and dates needed?

1 Like

@Purplepatti That is great that you are wanting to connect. If you click on the other members name then a green message box should appear and you can direct message them that way and find out any details :grin:

1 Like

@Purplepatti if you tap on photo of forum member you will get their profile come up with a link to their listing

Thank you… I’m new to this site & still learning!:grinning:

I was in a similar boat - reaching out to sitters who had saved our listing - until I read why sitters often save them rather than applying. This is our first time using THS, and I reached out to some local sitters who didn’t have a ton of reviews so we could build our ratings together. We ended up with a couple from out of town, but I’m trying to figure out all the angles!