Question for Sitters - What about Parrots?

For good reason, I think that bites are the main reason people find parrots hard to deal with. Since parrots are not truly domesticated, they will often respond like a bird from the wild. The other reason people probably hesitate to interact with parrots is the reason Vanessa listed: flying near your face. Our bird really won’t fly [unless she is scared or falls] so generally that is not a problem for us.
I’ve heard and I think that it is true: parrots [or at least Greys] bite exactly as hard as they intend to. Greys are medium sized birds and while they can deliver a bite worse than a cockatiel, they can’t deliver a bite as severe as a cockatoo or a macaw.
Our Grey has never bitten anything other than a hand and she has never even tried to bite a face while in our care. She spends hours on my husband’s shoulder and she clearly has access to his face. But here’s the thing: if I was taking care of someone else’s parrot, I would never allow them on my shoulder so that they would be near my face . It’s just too risky.strong text

4 Likes

I’m not sure how to post a photo of our bird but I’ll look into it. Meantime, for those of you who are interested, this is a link about how smart a Grey is here is a link, it’s pretty sweet story: African grey parrots are smart enough to help a bird in need | New Scientist

1 Like

THS cut me off from posting too much info today, so I’m adding this to my earlier reply. I totally get it: not everyone is interested in a lot of detail on Greys. However, I did want to add information about how affectionate Greys can be because I was able to reply to how parrots can bite. Here it is:

You also make another interesting point: parrots are very affectionate and can be demonstrative. Our bird clearly gives gentle kisses when we offer her things she wants [like treats]. She will often hesitate before taking the treat, reach over and kiss your hand and then take the treat. I’ve never had an animal do that before. The problem, of course, is that if you don’t know the parrot this could look very much like she might bite.

3 Likes

I would jump at the chance to sit a parrot! I raised chickens & guinea fowl for years and have always had an interest in parrots but have not yet had the privilege of getting to know one.

I adored my strange little flock of guineas. Many people are afraid of guinea fowl as they are not really domesticated either but with patience and observation they become more fascinating and easier to understand - and hilarious.

Parrots are so intelligent I imagine you would want someone with at least some understanding of bird body language to be able to gauge mood & health. Really I think the biggest characteristic of a good bird sitter is patience plus the ability to remain calm and not be afraid of unpredictable movement. Reading through your posts Corey sounds amazing and I’m sure you won’t have any problem finding sitters who want to get to know her!

2 Likes

@terrys We would love to look after a parrot. We have looked after our friend’s African Grey who is a real character. We also used to have an Alexandrine parakeet - we adopted him in his twilight years after his owner passed away. He was such a sad looking bird when we saw him at the rescue centre. Once we’d decluttered his cage so he had space to move and he got used to us he turned out to be such a lovely happy boy.

2 Likes

Thank you for your message, Lindsay! Your observations are totally correct about dealing with parrots. The thing is, however, Greys tend to be bonded to one person and I think they kind of shut down when that person isn’t around. Corey is bonded to my husband but she is smart enough to know that I make her life better and more interesting so she readily goes to me. But I can tell she is different when John isn’t around. And we are lucky: some Greys will ONLY go to the person they are bonded to. Their loyalty undermines their well being. I think that’s one main reason people don’t “get” African Greys and wonder about the idea that they are one of the smartest animals around. But you have to have a bit of patience. I can usually cajole Corey to have a more normal life when John is gone but I’m willing to do that because I really care about her.

5 Likes

My partner grew up with an African Grey (he has so many hilarious stories) and we have house sat for parrots before due to his experience and familiarity. I didn’t have bird experience (now I do) and we love sitting for them. But to answer your questions, I think being honest and transparent about parrot behavior and care would be helpful. I think a lot of people imagine that caring for a bird would be fun, but don’t realize that how destructive and intelligent they are, as they’re not really domesticated, as you say!

Here’s me on our last bird sit. She’s “helping me work”! BTW: socialized with her when meeting her and her owners. She’s comfy with women and she never nipped. I would only let a bird ride on my shoulder if their owner confirmed and encouraged that it was okay.

4 Likes

I petsat my first cockatoo recently. I was intimidated but excited to meet her… but then I complexly fell in love lol. I talk about this bird to anyone and everyone. I would be very excited to see more parrot listings

1 Like

We have a sit starting Saturday which includes an African Grey. It sounds as if he is bonded to the husband of the family we are sitting for (and attacks the wife!) Hopefully my husband can become his new best friend for a week.

Having said that, our friend had a grey who was mainly looked after by the wife as a baby / youngster, but switched loyalty to the husband on reaching adulthood. When we first looked after him we assumed he’d prefer my husband, but he took a liking to me instead!

1 Like

Us as well

Let us know who he bonds with Debbie … hopefully he wont attack you!

1 Like