Really disillusioned with two sits I have done recently

Yes. After 40 sit, I can advise. If no feedback or very few about this house and still the area is interesting.
1 sentence, which I repeat sometimes.
I am not your employee and you are not my boss. Anything extra is up to my desire or refuse sit.

Sorry to hear but it is still a good system. Unfortunately the owners of the company has to be let know and they have to be involved. And it is missing.

4 Likes

Hello @Grandma and welcome to the forum. With 40 sits completed It sounds like you will have a lot of experience to be able to share with the community here and we look forward to following your journey!

Thank you for your feedback which will be seen by the team. As you say it is a good system that benefits many people (and their pets) and the negative sits are rare. The team are continually working on ways to help members have the best of experiences as it really is what everyone ultimately wants to achieve :slight_smile: Thanks again for taking time to comment and do enjoy contributing to forum discussions.

1 Like

Weā€™ve been sitting for nearly 10 years and I can hand on heart say weā€™ve had only one really bad sit (not through TrustedHousesitters) that left us reeling. Like you, weā€™ve had a couple out of over 120 that we wouldnā€™t select again, but weā€™ve learned how to assess sits and trust our instincts so we get a really good match on the whole (thatā€™s a whole other topic!). But there was a great discussion here in the forum on this very topic of ā€œred flagsā€ which you might find interesting to readā€¦ hereā€™s the link:

4 Likes

Thatā€™s the secret! Knowing what you want and trusting your intuition!
Your feels are your guide to red flags :triangular_flag_on_post:
If something triggers you as not being right, trust it. Make further inquiry if needed, ask better questions, donā€™t settle (HO and sitters).

Like you @Vanessa_A, I have never had a bad sit. In the 60+ Iā€™ve had, there are certainly some I would not repeat but those are very few, might actually be just one :relaxed:.

3 Likes

I would love to talk to team who will listen.

3 Likes

It sounds like you have a concern @Grandma - I will direct message you - we are here to listenā€¦ as an admin I canā€™t always give an immediate solution, but listening is the first step :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The two sits in question I mentioned I wouldnā€™t say had any red flags. Went to both enthusiastically & in good faith but was sorely disappointed on both though unfortunately.

Glad people are adding to the thread, that is nice to seeā€¦ :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

As a home owner Iā€™m horrified that sitters arenā€™t made to feel welcome and appreciated. Anyone who stays at mine to care for my cats is extremely valued and treated accordingly. So Iā€™d say donā€™t give up, not all HOā€™s are bad!

10 Likes

Thatā€™s lovely Maria, very nice & uplifting to hear!! :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Iā€™ve just applied for a sit & the red flag popped up when the home owner said the sit would be at a different place to the one advertised.
I applied for said sit because it was a five minute walk to the beach ( heaven)
Turns out the actual sit is off a motorway 25 minutes from the beach!
No photoā€™s to show the home or location
Red flag :triangular_flag_on_post: red flag!
No mention of location or home swap in the advertisement
Went with my gut instinct & withdrew my application

4 Likes

Hi @Crazydoglady could you please DM me the URL to the sit in question?

Thank you

Hi Vanessa
Could you please tell me how to DM the link to you
Thank you
Sue

1 Like

Hi Sue ā€¦ no problem I can pick up from the infor you sent ā€¦

Angela

1 Like

Oh good
Thanks Vanessa

1 Like

Iā€™ve also explained how you include the link, in the DM message.

Thank you

1 Like

@Crazydoglady yes good moveā€¦how cheeky are those people. I have learnt to read between the lines on photographs on the listingā€¦photos of the house taken from a great distanceā€¦photo of a beach or mountainā€¦or beautiful sunset but no photos of the animalsā€¦the bedroomā€¦the gardenā€¦etc etc. Enticng photographs can be as revealing as no photos at all! Elementary Dear Watson! @Crazydoglady there is a deserted beach and a tall cocktail waiitng for you somewhere!

2 Likes

Little update!!

Have now agreed to go on another sit starting in about a weeks time!! I am in part excited to look after two little furry puppers who will become my chums but also feeling quite anxious after the last two bad experiences on sits which really did effect me quite negatively!!

Hopefully it all goes well!!

Not sure if the anxiety is my instincts saying this sit will not go well also or down to the two recent bad experiences!!

Either way I really hope it goes well!!

Hope everyone is really enjoying their sits @ the mo with their furry chums or excited about impending sits planned or yet to come!!!

:smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

7 Likes

Good luck @Fluffball - I am sure all will be fine with your next sit

2 Likes

Thanks Colin!! :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

Itā€™s nice to have this forum & a space to connect with other sitters & share ideas & experiences!!

:smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

@Fluffball - since itā€™s been a while - how did your sit go?