Rejection Based on Bias?

This might be useful for some folks: What Is Emotional Labor?

3 Likes

Sorry @ElEd but I’m a Brit in Britain, a reference to Florida means nothing more than orange juice and Disneyland. It is only “perfectly clear” to Americans (maybe) or to Americans in the group experiencing the discrimination. Would it mean something to you if I cited Glasgow in reference to a group of people?

And as for being interrogatory, it was the OP themselves that said
" I often give others the benefit of the doubt, by investigating, following up, asking questions,"

I’m Irish in Ireland but I follow world events and am neither so insulated nor so privileged as to be indifferent to the terrifying global rise of the far-right as exemplified in Florida. And yes, as it happens I know Glasgow quite well.

2 Likes

OK @ElEd, you got me, I picked a city you know well. Just insert one you don’t and my point rests.

I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing this, @PaperStan I think you’ve provided some great ideas about adding badges/banners HO and sitters profiles.
We do not discriminate in our home and you’re always welcome to apply.

We try our best to reply to every person but sometimes if we’re close to making a decision or have already decided we may not always have a chance to send out a message to everyone before we confirm, which will send out an automatic decline to people. I get the feeling based on your responses that this is probably not exactly your experience - what you mean is that the HO hasn’t confirmed anyone yet and doesn’t for multiple days.

For everyone else that’s trying to understand the OP, I highly recommend staying informed. I realize that it might be hard for some folks to read between the lines, and I don’t think it’s lack of empathy but simply not knowing what BLM is or not being welcomed in Florida means. And I’m sorry but I agree with what @Maggie8K said, your responses and questioning comes across as micro aggression, and I’m sure it’s not your intention. I am an immigrant but even with that I recognize my own privilege, and sometimes with privilege comes lack of understanding.

There’s a variety of great books out there that can help (if at all interested) and please do not take any offense in the titles of these books, as I’ve read them myself (and help me see my own privilege and how I can best support marginalized communities)

• How to be an Antiracist by Ibram X Kendi
    -Between The World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
  • The Color of Law by Richard Rothstein

If anyone has any more suggestions on books related to this topic I would love to read them.

3 Likes

You’re right, it’s coincidence I know Glasgow- the much more salient point is that if you talked about discrimination in a place I don’t know, I would address my own ignorance through the power of Google rather than demanding you do the labour of explaining it to me.

1 Like

We in no way want to stop the flow of this thread and there has been some great discussion here, so just a reminder at this point of our kindness values and that everyone has different opinions and perspectives and that’s what makes our community great. Thank you for keeping it respectful and kind.

2 Likes

@Carla
Thank you for this. I was wondering when someone would step in.

3 Likes

Highly recommend “How To Be An Antiracist” as well. Many of us read it and discussed it constructively at work at one of my previous jobs.

1 Like

Whether something written here comes across as aggressive or not depends on who reads it.

1 Like

Oh, OK. I am thoroughly humiliated by my ignorance and now know that the correct answers are to be found on the Internet and the right way to respond to a request for edification or clarification is to tell the inquisitor to look it up themselves. You’re quite right, that will certainly reduce the need for discussion, debate or the sharing of information between group members.

Wanted to express support for @PaperStan and note that starting such a thread couldn’t have possibly been done without courage, as well as hope of some folks understanding.

We don’t all need to agree, of course. It’s just important to realize that when someone raises such a sensitive topic and expresses hurt, it’s worth considering whether your reply might be hurtful to them. And what I wrote, I knew wouldn’t be palatable to everyone. I wrote it because PaperStan has been hurt and it’s not right that more of that happens. And there’s no education obligation that they signed up for. As travelers and citizens of the world, we can all keep learning without putting the onus on others.

2 Likes

If everyone had to google on a forum topic, and channel their mind reading skills too in order to understand all the hidden meanings, I think the forum would be pretty empty.

1 Like

We share plenty of info and POVs on this forum. When it comes to discrimination, that’s a different topic, with different weight that’s already been carried by those who’ve been hurt. Let’s please not conflate that with the idea that we shouldn’t share any know-how.

2 Likes

I do actually want to apologise for using the phrase “read between the lines”! As a member of a very neurodiverse family I’m well aware that for many neurodivergent people that’s exclusive and discriminatory in itself, as some people are literal thinkers and communicators and cannot “read between the lines”.
But if anyone reading this thread is in that position, a helpful thing to do might be to take up some of the excellent book recommendations given above, rather than persistently seeking further clarification from the OP who has already provided a lot of clarification and has expressed that they have been hurt by discrimination, as that only adds to their burden, whether or not that is intended.

2 Likes

There is no such thing as too sensitive. That’s a very personal thing. Discrimination is not same as rejection it’s nuanced has a different impact. Though maybe some people are not empathic, and speak without care, and then so call other people too sensitive because some people are shut down or closed hearted and minded.

That isn’t what I said. What I wrote was

I was not brought up in a world where describing someone as delicately susceptible and acutely affected by external influences was offensive.

Very well said. @Maggie8K There is a difference.
There are people who clearly discriminate from unhealthy bias and it does spread to these platforms. I have lots of good reviews and still know when there is bias. I have experienced it a few times in my 8 years on THS.
It is painful to read the micro aggressions. I see the defensiveness comes across and justification of poor form. Thank you for your comment highlighting these points.

So much can be learned for people to read to understand.

3 Likes

Emphasis on the word ‘too’. I am an empathetic and HSP (highly sensitive person). It’s my super power as a medical intuitive and without it people wouldn’t get help. Or animals wouldn’t get their health helped. But it’s needed for sensitivity in this cold world. Someone can be sensitive. But using the ‘Too’ part that’s subjective there is really no need to add that in. Simple things as removing too on in order to remain respectful.

1 Like