Should listings be able to specify gender?

Hi All,
This subject annoys me tbh. I’ve come across an increasing number of posts looking for single female sitters. As a single male I begrudge being ruled out of a sit based on my gender.
Sorry don’t get it!

4 Likes

When it is a unexplained statement, I find it irritating. When explained “the dog/cat is scared of men” I get it. Don’t like it, but get it!

2 Likes

I have also come across quite a few listings like that. It saddens me but ultimately I think that a HO should decide who he/she feels most comfortable with. Some rescue animals have suffered abuse by men and are more at ease with women, but you can often even see couples looking for “single women” as sitters. We also know quite a few animals that have been abused by women, but we have never seen a listing say “only men”.

3 Likes

@Timmy Yes I get that. If there’s a reason ok but not seen any mention of a reason. I can’t remember seeing a male only listings either.

1 Like

I see “women-only” or “couples-only” sits. I agree that a HO should be able to decide who stays in their house, even if it excludes me. I don’t see it often enough for it to bother me.

6 Likes

When HOs are looking for specific types of sitters for their sits (for any number of reasons), I’m grateful when they spell that out in their listing… that way those of us who don’t match up with their preferences don’t waste our time applying!

6 Likes

I find it as peculiar as if someone would post male-only sitters. It would probably offend more women.

1 Like

I wonder how many of those home owners are single women who are just uncomfortable with the idea of an unknown man staying in their home? I guess until you’ve been harassed (or worse) by a man, you don’t really know what it’s like to feel vulnerable. I can appreciate the sentiment, although I’ve no doubt in 99.9% of the cases, it’s unwarranted.

9 Likes

And that’s why I was only an Airbnb host for a very short time.

2 Likes

I feel that way about “couples only” sits, unless it’s spelled out for specific reasons (e.g., it’s a lot of work for one person)–and even then, why would the relationship status of two people sitting together be relevant? (Many couples don’t share beds, and I’m not talking about when there is only one bedroom.)

1 Like

@Kelownagurl I understand that completely but some sits state they’ll be no handover but still specify no males.

2 Likes

Homeowner’s choice surely? Just as it’s the sitter’s choice whether to apply or not.

4 Likes

We had a cat once that would transform into a monster if we had a tall blonde man in the house without us. Sadly it took 2 different friends taking care of him for us to make that connection. (Yep, tall brown hair was fine, short guy was fine) So I assume it is something like that. Oddly enough, while I don’t advertise this way, I much prefer all male groups in our VRBO. It’s sexist, but it’s based on 20 years of experience. Men are super chill.

Also just got turned down because it was singles only. In a 3 BR house! But I assume since the owner is a single woman she is just concerned about her cats wondering why there are two people.

But hey, I don’t have a limitation on ours. We are leaving Tuesday and a lovely guy is taking care of Bridger & WIlkerson while we are gone, so if you ever want to come to Colorado Springs just let me know. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If it states ‘couples only’ i just take that to mean they want two ppl rather than one. Ive done sits with a friend on that basis with no issues, always worth asking.

1 Like

We sat for a dog once who was absolutely terrified by overweight women. He was barking at random women on the streets and peed on the floor when he met a potential sitter who was supposed to take over from us (our hosts couldn’t return because of Covid). Other women were fine and he absolutely loved my girlfriend.

1 Like

Perhaps they’re afraid a single person would end up bringing home overnight guests? Clearly you could state that isn’t allowed, but maybe they don’t trust this kind of rule would be followed? Maybe they think single people are more likely to go out and party and neglect responsibilities? Grasping at straws here. I can only imagine needing to do this if it’s a large house with lots of responsibilities (large garden/farm etc)

Or maybe they have a cat like our cat Mowgli who is deathly afraid of strangers and it would take him much longer to become comfortable with two strangers than with one

3 Likes

Doesn’t it just break your heart to think why they are afraid? Poor babies.

3 Likes

I’ve seen first-hand many animals, particularly rescues, who are extremely anxious around men. It’s unfortunate, but it’s so.

1 Like