Should listings be able to specify gender?

Hi All,
This subject annoys me tbh. I’ve come across an increasing number of posts looking for single female sitters. As a single male I begrudge being ruled out of a sit based on my gender.
Sorry don’t get it!

3 Likes

When it is a unexplained statement, I find it irritating. When explained “the dog/cat is scared of men” I get it. Don’t like it, but get it!

1 Like

I have also come across quite a few listings like that. It saddens me but ultimately I think that a HO should decide who he/she feels most comfortable with. Some rescue animals have suffered abuse by men and are more at ease with women, but you can often even see couples looking for “single women” as sitters. We also know quite a few animals that have been abused by women, but we have never seen a listing say “only men”.

1 Like

@Timmy Yes I get that. If there’s a reason ok but not seen any mention of a reason. I can’t remember seeing a male only listings either.

1 Like

I see “women-only” or “couples-only” sits. I agree that a HO should be able to decide who stays in their house, even if it excludes me. I don’t see it often enough for it to bother me.

4 Likes

When HOs are looking for specific types of sitters for their sits (for any number of reasons), I’m grateful when they spell that out in their listing… that way those of us who don’t match up with their preferences don’t waste our time applying!

3 Likes

I find it as peculiar as if someone would post male-only sitters. It would probably offend more women.

1 Like

I wonder how many of those home owners are single women who are just uncomfortable with the idea of an unknown man staying in their home? I guess until you’ve been harassed (or worse) by a man, you don’t really know what it’s like to feel vulnerable. I can appreciate the sentiment, although I’ve no doubt in 99.9% of the cases, it’s unwarranted.

5 Likes

And that’s why I was only an Airbnb host for a very short time.

I feel that way about “couples only” sits, unless it’s spelled out for specific reasons (e.g., it’s a lot of work for one person)–and even then, why would the relationship status of two people sitting together be relevant? (Many couples don’t share beds, and I’m not talking about when there is only one bedroom.)

1 Like

@Kelownagurl I understand that completely but some sits state they’ll be no handover but still specify no males.

2 Likes