Sit cancellation from pet owner's end

I am devastated to just have had to cancel the sit scheduled from December 10-21, because our vacation is not going to happen. Because of the new virus variant found, all flights to South Africa have been canceled and even if we would deal with the 14 days of quarantine back home, we would not even get there.
So I just informed our sitters that I need to cancel and, thankfully, they were very understanding about it. I have already canceled the sit on my dashboard as otherwise the sitters won’t be able to find a replacement.

5 Likes

Oh @anon39388349 that is so disappointing for both you and your sitters. You would have been so looking forward to your holiday in South Africa which is a beautiful country. We all, I’m sure, are thinking of all those people living in South Africa where this new virus variant has been discovered and what devastating impact it is most likely going to cause.

2 Likes

That’s why it’s important for sitters to have profiles on multiple platforms, as we’ve learned during the first lockdown. We also started looking into workaways, volunteering at animal sanctuaries and other options. The profiles have been set up, are verified and we also got a couple of reviews here and there, so we can react immediately in case our sit get cancelled.

2 Likes

Yes just heard about this new variant on the radio today! So sad for you that you have to cancel your holiday :sweat:.

Hope it won’t cause to much trouble to your sitters and hope they can find another sit for Christmas : there are so many listings actually on THS website : tell them to search in France :fr: ! So many appealing listings and our French president told yesterday there would be no lockdown nor curfew for Christmas ! :crazy_face::grimacing::grimacing:

1 Like

The sitters were actually quite cool about the cancellation and told me not to worry. Before we had confirmed the sit in September, we had a video call and I asked what would happen if we had to cancel the sit on short notice, and they said they would be fine. So the possibility always had been there and now it’s really happened.
I don’t know if their sit over Christmas (ours would have ended on 21st) will also be affected, because it’s for a South African couple in Luxemburg. They might want to head home for the holidays and also change their plans :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Yes @anon39388349 : we must all remind travels are not so easy and times still uncertain.
We also have booked some sits for the forthcoming month but we are very much aware changes and cancellations can happen. This is why we decide to stay in our own country for the moment which make thing easier to deal with in case of any change : most of our last sits this year have been cancelled, changed date, shortened : flexibility is the main word in the new world !
Hope you can enjoy your holiday if not in South Africa.
Amicalement,

2 Likes

Oh no, I’m so sorry. :frowning:

1 Like

Hi @anon39388349 we are so very sorry that your trip has been cancelled, this is such sad news for you, your sitter and everyone involved. Sending our very best thoughts and wishes.

Angela and the Team

1 Like

So very disappointing and so sorry to hear this. I hope and trust that you will find a sit that will be suitable and satisfying to you and another owner desiring to travel.
Best wishes

1 Like

Thank you so much, but I am the HO who had to cancel the sit, because our holiday isn’t going to happen.:wink:

Yes I understand was just suggesting perhaps another opportunity is in the horizon.

Oh @BunnyCat you must be disappointed. These are indeed uncertain times especially at the moment as people realign their travel with the latest restrictions - definitely a time when Plan B’s might need to be in place. There are lots of Christmas house sits still available… is there a possibility for you to re-book an alternative in the same or nearby destination? Where were you heading to?

2 Likes

I’m just looking in France as we are abandoning our trip back to UK (non house sitting to see family) and there are plenty showing for over Christmas with new ones today… might be worth a look as another option. Finger’s crossed for you whatever you do.

1 Like

What a bummer. I strongly suspect my Zurich sit over christmas and new year will be cancelled since they were planning on going to the US. We discussed it the other day. Thankfully I’m fine if it’s cancelled, but unfortunately I accepted a few days sit right after it since Geneva is just a couple hours away. Since that one the HO is travelling locally, I doubt she’ll cancel. So now I think I’m going to be “stuck” doing a sit that I normally would not have done and traveling relatively significantly out of my way for a few days vs a few weeks. So that’s a bit of a bummer. I hope you find a good solution.

2 Likes

So sorry to hear your sit was cancelled @BunnyCat . We’ve had 3 sits cancelled this year due to covid, one of them on the day it was due to start and one just a couple of days beforehand. It couldn’t be helped, just part of the uncertain times we are living through, but disappointing all the same. The Home owners of our Christmas sit are going abroad so I’m a little nervous as to what might happen.

On the plus side, we managed to book a last minute short sit in place of one of the cancelled ones, looked after the loveliest dog and a pair of sweet cats, and explored a great area.

3 Likes

Hi there. I am the home owner and have to cancel the sit, in agreement with the sitter, due to covid. I cannot find the option on the dashboard to do so - please help!

I finally found it - the option is not in the account Dashboard, but in messages/inox, with last message from the sitter. The help function on ‘How to Cancel’ Q&A tells you why one can cancel, but not how one must cancel. Could admin please revise this to include the steps to be taken to cancel? Tx

1 Like

Hi @SunshineCambridge Membership Services is looking into this, although you have managed to solve the issue.

Thank you for the feedback and suggestion we will pass this on to the Product Team.

I hope everyone stays well.

1 Like

I had the same problem and could not find the the cancel button where I expected it to be. I switched to the App and there it was in my Dashboard.

Perhaps TH could put a note in the information owners find about ‘cancelling a sit’? I’ve had 2 needing to cancel and unable to find anything but the long text about mutual agreement. I have done this search and will tell them, but it would be better if they could find the information themselves.