Hi @BunnyCat thats so disappointing for you and terribly concerning for the owner, I’m so sorry to hear this.
Once the owner is sure they will be unable to travel they will need to unconfirm you this will automatically cancel the sit, or they can connect with Membership Services who will manually do this for them.
Once the sit is cancelled you can start applying for sits.
For details on how to apply for the sit cancellation insurance please connect with the Membership Services Team as there is a designated member who deals with the insurance.
Hi @Angela-CommunityManager and @Therese-Moderator the HO cancel the pet sit but our availability from Dec 8th to Dec 13th still shows as busy. Would you please clear our Santa Rosa pet sit date? Thank you R&S
Nevermind: The dates are now showing as available
I am devastated to just have had to cancel the sit scheduled from December 10-21, because our vacation is not going to happen. Because of the new virus variant found, all flights to South Africa have been canceled and even if we would deal with the 14 days of quarantine back home, we would not even get there.
So I just informed our sitters that I need to cancel and, thankfully, they were very understanding about it. I have already canceled the sit on my dashboard as otherwise the sitters won’t be able to find a replacement.
Oh @Düsenzofe that is so disappointing for both you and your sitters. You would have been so looking forward to your holiday in South Africa which is a beautiful country. We all, I’m sure, are thinking of all those people living in South Africa where this new virus variant has been discovered and what devastating impact it is most likely going to cause.
That’s why it’s important for sitters to have profiles on multiple platforms, as we’ve learned during the first lockdown. We also started looking into workaways, volunteering at animal sanctuaries and other options. The profiles have been set up, are verified and we also got a couple of reviews here and there, so we can react immediately in case our sit get cancelled.
The sitters were actually quite cool about the cancellation and told me not to worry. Before we had confirmed the sit in September, we had a video call and I asked what would happen if we had to cancel the sit on short notice, and they said they would be fine. So the possibility always had been there and now it’s really happened.
I don’t know if their sit over Christmas (ours would have ended on 21st) will also be affected, because it’s for a South African couple in Luxemburg. They might want to head home for the holidays and also change their plans
Yes @Düsenzofe : we must all remind travels are not so easy and times still uncertain.
We also have booked some sits for the forthcoming month but we are very much aware changes and cancellations can happen. This is why we decide to stay in our own country for the moment which make thing easier to deal with in case of any change : most of our last sits this year have been cancelled, changed date, shortened : flexibility is the main word in the new world !
Hope you can enjoy your holiday if not in South Africa.
Hi @Düsenzofe we are so very sorry that your trip has been cancelled, this is such sad news for you, your sitter and everyone involved. Sending our very best thoughts and wishes.
Angela and the Team
So very disappointing and so sorry to hear this. I hope and trust that you will find a sit that will be suitable and satisfying to you and another owner desiring to travel.
Thank you so much, but I am the HO who had to cancel the sit, because our holiday isn’t going to happen.
Yes I understand was just suggesting perhaps another opportunity is in the horizon.
We just a received a cancelation request for our 1 month holiday sit. I guess in these uncertain times you can’t be really sure the sit will happen until the actual start date.
Oh @BunnyCat you must be disappointed. These are indeed uncertain times especially at the moment as people realign their travel with the latest restrictions - definitely a time when Plan B’s might need to be in place. There are lots of Christmas house sits still available… is there a possibility for you to re-book an alternative in the same or nearby destination? Where were you heading to?
Thanks @Vanessa-Admin we are currently in Europe, but we are scheduled to return to US on Saturday ( if some other craziness doesn’t occur). Our two, now canceled pet sits were for the San Francisco Bay area. I guess we are open to any California sit right now, preferably in Southern California. A last minute European sit is also not completely out of the question. I was reading that the US government may release new entry requirements today and these could possible include 7 days mandatory quarantine regardless of the COVID test on arrival.
I’m just looking in France as we are abandoning our trip back to UK (non house sitting to see family) and there are plenty showing for over Christmas with new ones today… might be worth a look as another option. Finger’s crossed for you whatever you do.
What a bummer. I strongly suspect my Zurich sit over christmas and new year will be cancelled since they were planning on going to the US. We discussed it the other day. Thankfully I’m fine if it’s cancelled, but unfortunately I accepted a few days sit right after it since Geneva is just a couple hours away. Since that one the HO is travelling locally, I doubt she’ll cancel. So now I think I’m going to be “stuck” doing a sit that I normally would not have done and traveling relatively significantly out of my way for a few days vs a few weeks. So that’s a bit of a bummer. I hope you find a good solution.
So sorry to hear your sit was cancelled @BunnyCat . We’ve had 3 sits cancelled this year due to covid, one of them on the day it was due to start and one just a couple of days beforehand. It couldn’t be helped, just part of the uncertain times we are living through, but disappointing all the same. The Home owners of our Christmas sit are going abroad so I’m a little nervous as to what might happen.
On the plus side, we managed to book a last minute short sit in place of one of the cancelled ones, looked after the loveliest dog and a pair of sweet cats, and explored a great area.
Hi there. I am the home owner and have to cancel the sit, in agreement with the sitter, due to covid. I cannot find the option on the dashboard to do so - please help!