Sit Cancelled Due to Previous Sitters

@Caroline99

Wow quite a response!

One would think that sitters are using this site because they genuinely care about animals and take the responsibly seriously.

Your statement that the homeowner was overreacting to the experience of having had their pets be abandoned by a previous sitter while they were far away is a red flag. Such callousness demonstrates a lack of understanding of the love that people have for their pets and therefore why they would not want to risk a recurrence.

I suggest you seek out housesitting sites which does not involve pets, or perhaps just pay for your accommodations. Pets deserve to be cared for by people who truly care about the welfare of animals.

1 Like

I’ve just re-read my previous message and can see it may sound rather sharp. Not quite as I intended.

Another contributor mentioned back-up plans…an excellent idea, where possible, as travel arrangements can easily go awry, especially in times of train strikes, soaring fuel prices, etc.

Rest assured, although I don’t anthropomorphise them, I absolutely adore animals…including to the extent of being vegan.

2 Likes

I can’t really agree that when you say “can’t get there against all the odds”! Don’t you think that sort of question should not even need to be considered? If someone agrees to sit they should have made plans to do so that are reasonable, straightforward and achievable. If there are doubts they shouldn’t say they will sit. I understand completely that in the event of illness, accident or some other serious occurrence a sit will be cancelled. Beyond that though a sit, once agreed should go ahead, there shouldn’t be any excuse. I would also reiterate that it is important that arrangements include the sitter arriving before the H.O. leaves!

1 Like

I have said it on other posts but I think it worth repeating: When a sit is arranged I always ask the sitter to arrive at least a day early, minimum! Two days is perfect. If they won’t, or can’t then I won’t take the risk that they don’t turn up and leave me in the lurch! I think it quite fundamental that people would want to meet anyone coming to look after their animals and to ensure they are, in fact, in place when the H.O. leaves. Likewise the sitter would like to meet the H.O. and ask any relevant questions. To not have a sitter in place when a H.O. leaves is, in my view, quite foolhardy.

This conversation underlines the need for members to communicate openly and fulfill commitments once mutually agreed.

A successful sit experience is about choosing the right sit and the right sitter and if extenuating circumstances do happen members need to communicate with one another and the Membership Services Team who will support and help manage.

We will now close this topic.

Thank you.

2 Likes