Sitter Checkout Checklist

We just had a sitter look after our dog for the weekend and she had to leave before we would get home. This was the first time a sitter has left us a sitter “checkout checklist.” We were so impressed by this! It makes so much sense because I didn’t need to follow up with any questions about when our dogs last walk or meal was…all the information was right there.

I certainly don’t expect ALL sitters to do this but it was VERY impressive and really showed us how much work and dedication she put into our sit. Do any of you ever leave something like this for the homeowners? We’re going to do this for our future sits before leaving from now on too.

15 Likes

That is a good idea. We don’t leave any check list like that, but when we leave before a HO gets home, we do give a similar sort of summary when we send our ‘heading out’ message (or would tell them in person). We would include things like when the plants were last watered, when we last fully changed the cat litter, if we washed bath mats or other items so they know they don’t have to clean them, etc… I find they appreciate it.

3 Likes

No, but I usually tell the owners what I’ve done and re walks and meals if I leave before they return. There is a checklist on THS website and owners get a similar list of how to prepare the house before sitters arrive. At a recent sit in the Gold Coast, Aus the owners had printed that off and stuck it on the fridge.
I have done jobs without telling the owners like clean all the windows and ovens, hoping they might notice :joy::rofl:

1 Like

This is a great idea. We normally text the owners what we have done on the last day but this checklist would be easier.

I do all those things without anyway, I’m sure you do too

I like that list
I do have a to do list on my phone and add to it if necessary or for any out of the ordinary things pertaining to the sit.
:rofl: I had to stop myself folding over the toilet roll in the ensuite bathroom on a recent sit.

1 Like

I do the same as @Smiley
We write a hand written note to each HO.
What we don’t want is another formal checklist

3 Likes

I find people usually prefer you to leave before they return, especially if coming home from a long flight. I usually leave the last day clear to clean and pack and then I know everything the next morning is done. During the stay, I set up a Welcome Back email in drafts so I can add anything they might need to know. I also make sure they are not delayed or flight cancelled before I go, mostly I use WhatsApp for keeping in touch. One reason I try to avoid back to back sits is travel plans change quite often and there is a need to be flexible on both sides.

2 Likes

I love this! I have a similar checklist that I use to make sure I don’t forget anything, but I hadn’t thought about leaving it for the HO.

1 Like

When there are tasks that have changeable dates or things we want the HO to know about we include them in an “end of sit notes” e-mail. That way they know when last things were done and where they can fit back into the routines (meds, bird feeders, watering, lawns, cleaning pet bedding, trash pickup, etc.). Since we are nomadic we don’t have regular access to a printer and won’t carry printed sheets. Plus, it’s different for every home. But the checklist works for this sitter!

1 Like

@Kelly this is an absolutely great idea for sitters and I think I might “steal” this idea for our sits.

2 Likes

This is fantastic! We are totally going to copy the procedure!

1 Like

I cate for pets in my home, for free, as we now are pet less… I have always given a written run down of everything on pick up, even poo quality lol… This is something we have all done in our family even when one of us has got home from work or school, or when we get up in the morning or even when returning from a dog walk… so and so did this or that or met a friendly dog, or did 2 wees etc… i imagine if pet sitting i would be writing a few pages …haha

2 Likes

I tend to make myself a list of “things to do, don’t forget, put back, take with me” etc. But, I’m not leaving the owners a list so they can critique what housework I have, or haven’t, done - “plump and fluff sofa cushions”@@
I always leave the HO’s a detailed note of relevant information, which is always appreciated.

4 Likes