Sitters - Considering joining - Question!

Hi!
I’m considering joining. It’s an investment, and I’m wondering if you have found it to be worth the $. In the US, have you been able to secure housesitting jobs you wanted? I have no idea how competitive it is - ratio of housesits to applicants/housesitters. Do You have an idea? I am on a budget, and will join if there is a good chance I can get some housesits this year. Thanks for any feedback! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Welcome :+1:. We’ve been TH members for 7yrs. For us, our house sitting adventures have led us to awesome people & cool pets which is what it’s all about.

It may take a few applications but you may secure a lovely sit somewhere. Have a gander at the forum for ideas.

3 Likes

I’ve been a member in the US for about 6 months and am on my 4th sit now (Denver). It’s a good idea to start locally, to show at least one good review. There are lots of tips in other threads on this forum.

2 Likes

My boyfriend and I debated for awhile if we should join. We ended up biting the bullet and have had pretty good experiences so far! I would do it, if you manage to score one housesit the membership pays for itself as any hotel would cost at least $100!

2 Likes

4 years, over 70 sits, 9 countries, incredible animals, extraordinary people, exciting experiences, challenges that have pushed me to do what I never imagined, some of the greatest friends I have ever had.
Excellent ROI for me.
But I’m weird. :rofl:

5 Likes

Hi @Traveler99 and welcome to the forum. I would suggest you not concern yourself with how competitive it is, or a ratio of housesits to applicants/house sitters. These numbers are likely to be in flux constantly, both because of members and any number of factors that influence or hinder travel.

Instead I suggest you focus on thinking about whether you feel that the lifestyle - of living as a local and taking responsibility for caring for and nourishing a relationship with someone else’s pets and the respect and security of someone else’s home - is a good match for you. If your answer is ‘yes’, then have confidence in yourself; take time to prepare a thorough profile, gather references, and get ready to travel. As for your budget, how and where you travel and how much that will cost is totally within your control. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

I joined THS at the end of November. Only 4 months ago - petsitting 3 months. I secured my very first sit, the sit I wanted in NYC within a week. As soon as the sit was over I began to travel internationally.

I am booked until the end of July. 8 confirmed sits, almost back to back. I have two more sits in the mix and had to withdraw at least 5 applications.

Iow, join, and good luck :wink:

3 Likes

It is really worth every penny. At first, applying to sits and not getting responses can be a bit frustrating, but keep trying, as some homeowners are “all over it” and choose a sitter within a few days of posting their sit. It really is a win-win proposition, and you will have some fun experiences. You can get a 25% discount on your membership fee if an existing member “refers” you.

2 Likes

Welcome :-). You have had many great answers, especially from @Snowbird suggesting that you think about the lifestyle and whether it would work for you. If you are concerned about the price of THS and are looking to start sitting in the USA you may want to consider housesittersamerica.com which focuses only on USA sits and is quite a bit cheaper to start with. I have used them and they are very good. Any house sitting platform will let you peruse their sites without joining (as far as I am aware) and that should give you an idea of what they cover.

1 Like

Here’s a view from a HO’s side in Germany. We just confirmed a sitter couple from San Diego without any references or reviews, so it’s not hard to get your first sit if you’re a good match.
I chose this couple, because they have been Homeowners on THS and now switched sides, because they used to have an elderly cat, which needed medication (our cats are 13) and because they will already be in Europe when the sit begins. Additionally they are flexible should anything unforeseen happen. These reasons added up to them being really nice to talk to during our video chat and a few more things like arriving with their own (rental or bought) car.

1 Like

For me, I’ve been a member since November and have 12 confirmed sits. So absolutely, you can be successful at this, if you are willing to put in the work. Think about it, if you only get a single, long-weekend sit out of your annual membership, it can pay for itself. Is it competitive? Absolutely! When I started my successful confirmation rate was 4%, so you’ve got to be willing to spend a lot of time on the site for a while.

2 Likes