Sitters need photos of the bedroom!

In a case like that, it may not be a good idea to “block” the cat from accessing his/her favorite hiding places.

Yes that’s right. I said “It’s not as if you can just close the kids’ rooms”

We always ask when we do our video call with the HO if we can at least see our allocated bedroom/bathroom, and if possible a quick video tour of the home, of course including the pets who are our priority!

2 Likes

I agree 100%! I love seeing the outside of a home and a neighborhood but what I need to see is where I’ll be living. Please show where the sitter will be sleeping. Is it the main bedroom? Many sitters, me included would prefer a guest bedroom. Is it cluttered? If it’s cluttered when your trying to sell me on the sit, it may be worse when I get there. I learned that the hard way. Lol.

5 Likes

Thanks, you have inspired me to add photos of our very nice guest room and en suite… just had never gotten around to doing that before!

10 Likes

Hi @BillyBonnieBenji ,

This was a concern I was thinking about posting and I am grateful you posted it! It’s so important for any person to know where they will be resting their head because of safety, comfort, and the overall experience. Lots of people (including myself) are clean, well organized, and tidy and cringe at white sheets with dust stains all over them ( this was an experience at one particular sit). Also, it can turn off a sitter if there is a messy display so also if there are going to be photos, a NEAT PRESENTATION should be key!

3 Likes

Agree and I’d like them to put the bed size too!

8 Likes

Me too! Kingsize/ Superking minimum for us, otherwise it’s separate bedrooms!

2 Likes

Love my hubby but yes a King is a minimum and preference is 2 beds or 2 rooms so we both get a good nights sleep!

7 Likes

Agree 100%. I would like to know what size bed too. My husband and I are very tall and have difficulty sleeping in a full size bed. If we knew this was the only bed available, we would load up our air mattress! I would also like to see the whole house! I know that not everyone is a good housekeeper but I don’t like staying in messy houses. I keep mine neat and tidy and would appreciate the same from someone else, especially if I am to keep it up!
LeaAnn

3 Likes

Yep, 2 beds or 2 rooms for us as well…it makes us friendly :blush:

3 Likes

Just reading the comments about bed sizes. In the UK bedrooms can be quite small and honestly you’d struggle to get anything other than a standard double in many British bedrooms. Plus of course, double means different things to different countries. My spare room has a pull out double sofa bed which my 70 year old sister and brother-in-law slept in for 2 weeks recently on a visit and they always tell me it’s comfortable so I’d be a bit surprised if a sitter told me the bed isn’t sufficient.

3 Likes

Completely agree. I’m a fussy sitter and I want to see exactly where I will sleep. I don’t apply unless I can see the house properly in the pics and don’t want endless pics of the pet and even the owners!

3 Likes

It is funny in North America as I have seen several sits where the sit has a double bed and they say really only suitable for a single person.
I grew up in England where that was the norm and we had a double bed when we got married for many years so not an issue for us.

3 Likes

I visited a living history village years ago where the public inn had what looked like a full/double bed, and the “inn keeper” told me that I would be sharing the bed with three other guests, none of whom I would know (fortunately, I was not staying the night!). Two with heads at the head and two with heads at the foot of the bed… so I guess our standards have (mostly) risen in the last 200 years … Hallelujah!

1 Like

I’ve been in a few homes (THS or Airbnb) that appeared “neat and tidy” but photos don’t show sticky floors and appliances, poorly cleaned toilets, etc. Blech.

4 Likes

Thanks for all the tips sitters - just updated my listing with more pics of my home, including the bath tub that’s available for a nice long soak!! I’ve put the bed is a King Size (UK) I hope that’s ok (it is a king size & extremely comfy!!)

I’ve added in our home office space too that’s available.

Is there anything else you’d suggest? Any descriptions needed? Our home will be cleaned either on arrival day or the day before so there will be no dirty toilet issues!

7 Likes

@Joandacat that is interesting. I am always a bit taken aback when I see HO’s offering sitters only a pull out sofa, especially when the sit is longer than say 2-3 nights. I personally wouldn’t consider applying for those sits, even if you mentioned in your listing it was a comfy couch bed… obviously no offence meant, it’s just different expectations.

6 Likes

I received great advice from a longtime sitter when I first started: zoom in and look at the corners in the photos. You can tell if the kitchen counters are cluttered or the bedrooms are not clean, etc. Yes sometimes you’ll miss things but it could help.

7 Likes

Knowing that reality and picture may be quite different! A recent sit showed the “extra bedroom” which looked delightful. When I arrived, it’s in the dark damp basement and would not be pleasant to sleep in.

1 Like