Question about photos

Hello - my profile is ready to activate except for photos of the room where sitters will sleep. I’m planning to have them stay in my guest room. There’s no bed in there right now, and I just ordered a sleeper sofa for it which won’t arrive arrive for another couple of weeks. That’s getting close to my travel dates and I’d like to upload the profile as soon as possible. Would it be weird or counterproductive to add a photo of the room as is and explain that there will be a bed? And/or that my bedroom will also be available (which it would be if for some reason the sleeper doesn’t work out) and include a photo of that?

I’m new to this and would appreciate any advice!

2 Likes

Have you considered whether a sleeper sofa would limit your applicants. I ask because it would not work for me.

5 Likes

Absolutely! I’d just write that the sitter has a choice of a brand new, yet to be delivered sleeper sofa, or the primary bedroom. You can always update your profile later.

Thank you for that perspective! Can I ask what would not work for you, the fact that the sofa has to be pulled out? The room is not that big and having a bed in it would limit movement, so my thinking was that the sofa would make it more comfortable and useable. The house is two stories and the room is on the second floor, so that is also a limitation that I obviously can’t do anything about. Theoretically, the sitter could also sleep in my bedroom; I just would prefer to have them use the guestroom. The house itself is spacious and the sitter will have their own bath (not ensuite, but across the hall) and can use the kitchen, living room, screen porch, etc., and park in the garage. I’m hoping those features will make up for the sleeper but welcome any other suggestions!

1 Like

It is just that I personally have never found a sleeper sofa to be comfortable. The sits I have done the HO has allowed me to use their bedroom. Just a personal preference.

3 Likes

@mgp you might find most (very) experienced housesitters will not apply when it’s a sleeper couch, just because of comfort. You seem like a very thoughtful host so it is nothing personal. Of course, it depends, and when it’s a short sit, it’s less problematic than a long sit.

Please be very sure to mention it’s a sleeper couch to give sitters the chance to consider this. There are a few topics on here where sitters complain that they showed up to sits to find a couch only, and that they were not too happy with this arrangement.

5 Likes

@mgp you might look into getting a thick foam “topper” to put on the pull-out bed when it’s set up. I ended up on a very old futon (which I don’t like and wasn’t aware I would be using) at a sit last year, but the foam topper they put on top made the bed very comfortable. This was a very thick topper. One they rolled up and put in the closet when not in use. The owners said that if I wasn’t comfortable on it I could use their bed, but I found that wasn’t necessary. If you go this route, definitely include it in the description of the sleeping arrangements (“New, high-end queen-sized sleeper sofa with 3” memory foam topper.")

1 Like

Hi @mgp and welcome to the forum! First, I would suggest that you add your listing to your forum profile by following these instructions:
How to add your listing or profile to your forum profile

You will reach more prospective sitters this way and forum members will be able to give you helpful feedback.

I think you should include a picture of your room with your bed to start and mention that sitters will have a choice of the master bedroom or the guest room that will soon have a new sofa bed. Most, but not all, of the sofa beds I’ve slept in have not been comfortable. One of my homeowners had one-I think it was from Ikea and like @Karen_E mentioned, it was foam and was very comfortable. I also have one in a sectional sofa that has an inflatable air mattress that goes on top of the regular mattress and it’s one of the most comfortable beds in the house. If yours is exceptionally comfortable, mention that. When it arrives, you can add a picture of it in the guest room. The nice thing about that is that you’ll be able to offer use of a second bedroom, as well.

1 Like

Thank you for all these great suggestions! I do want to add my listing to the forum profile but the listing isn’t up yet because of this bed issue! :grinning: With these suggestions to upload photos of both sleeping options, I can do that, finish the listing, activate it, and then add to the forum, whew. I love the idea of adding the topper or air mattress and the sitter having the option of either room.

4 Likes

I 100% agree that many experienced sitters would pass up a listing with a pullout couch. We sit as a couple and definitely wouldn’t apply for one. I understand not wanting to share a primary bedroom with sitters, and we bring our own pillows, sheets, towels etc. to make it less awkward. But a pullout is an absolute dealbreaker for my back. I even recently saw a post that wanted sitters (plural) but had a child’s pullout bed. I haven’t used either of those since I was 20 and my chiropractic bills would be staggering if I tried.

2 Likes

Maybe I am not sufficiently experienced, but it would not matter much for me. I am a sound sleeper. Street noise or building activities are worse. Or the cat scratching at the bedroom door a bit too early in the morning.

1 Like

So I’m gonna really highly recommend that you are very straightforward and upfront about the sofa mattress. I think for some sitters it wouldn’t be a big deal but the vast majority probably prefer an actual mattress.

I recently completed a sit where I didn’t find out that the only option for guests were a daybed and futon until I arrived. The owner didn’t think that the distinction mattered but as someone with scoliosis it definitely did! Especially if you are listing a sit that is longer, please consider the comfort and wellbeing of the people working to take care out your pets and home and be transparent about the options available to them!!

3 Likes

Yes that would be fine, but be sure to say it’s going to be a sleeper sofa.

@mgp As others have stated, definitely state that it is a sofa bed in the guestroom. Many folks will not choose that, and it is better to let them know in advance, so sitters can decide whether to apply or not.

I think it is fine to take a pic of the room without the bed, but advise that a sleeper sofa will be arriving prior to their arrival. Always make sure you advise the type/size of bed for the sitter as this will help narrow down their searches if they are not comfortable sleeping on a sleeper sofa.

I would add the photo of the room and tag it with the byline - ’ This will be sitters room, with brand new bed (on order)'. :blush:

SAME! I’ve done nearly 30 sits here and a few dozen on other platforms. I’m not a kid anymore, but I can sleep anywhere (and on pretty much anything) provided I have an eyemask and an audiobook to block out noise.

The worst sleeping arrangement I had was a bed that - I swear - someone hollowed out the middle of the mattress. Just a big crater in the middle, big enough that you couldn’t pick a side, you’d still be falling in the pit. I slept on the sofa instead. On the second night, I barricaded myself with dining room chairs to keep the dog from licking my face in the morning. :tongue: :dog:

1 Like

Thank you everyone, for your feedback and suggestions! It was very helpful in getting a sense of what people want, don’t want, pay attention to, don’t care about… This is a lovely community. I just lined up my first sitter and am super excited! :grinning:

3 Likes

Yay! I’m so glad to hear that. Thanks @mgp for letting us know. I hope it’s a stellar sit for you, your cat, and the sitter :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A sofa wouldn’t be an issue for me.