Sitting on Halloween

The owner for one of my upcoming sits covering October 31 messaged me today to ask if she should stock up on candy for me to pass out to the trick-or-treaters. I think that might be mainly a US thing but it’s something I hadn’t thought of before. My initial reaction was no, I don’t want to be bothered but then again, it might be fun. I wouldn’t want the house to be egged for turning off the lights and ignoring the doorbell!

2 Likes

Really depends where the sit is and how hard core the neighbourhood is. I’ve done Halloween in the US and don’t recall anyone ringing the doorbell but the place wasn’t decorated or anything. You could always ask the HO how intense it is around there. I find the idea of a traditional US style Halloween actually quite fun. Might need to add that to my bucket list.

1 Like

It can be fun seeing the little kids dressed up if you like that sort of thing. Now we live in an area with large lots and lots of woods, so we don’t get trick or treaters, but I’m glad we had the experience previously.

Canada and the US are both like this in my experience. I don’t think they’d egg the place but we love doing it just to see all the little kiddos dressed up.

1 Like

How would the pet react to little trick or treaters? We are at a sit where the dog would love it but be way too hyper and not controllable. She is a Golden Retriever would pretty much steal candy from any child or even small adult.

1 Like

I’d definitely ask what the neighborhood is like. I had a sit over Halloween where the neighborhood made a haunted path for the kids, everyone was outside, loads of kids, houses had hot cider and snacks for the adults. This is extreme but overall it can be a lot of fun!

1 Like

You’re right, it is a US thing that, like school graduation parties, has drifted over to the UK. Personally I don’t get involved in it but it would be entirely up to you. Don’t want to sound like a grumpy old woman but I don’t see how having kids knock on the door and handing out sweets is fun, but that’s just grumpy old me! :joy::rofl:

I’d embrace the local traditions,

I’ll be turning off the lights and ignoring the doorbell :wink:

Oooh never thought if that I would love to experience this on a sit as long as the pet was ok or could be kept safe when I have to open the door

If you’re sitting a pet that’s uncontrollable, you might consider keeping them in a separate room and stepping out to answer the door, depending on how many visitors you’d get. You also can just leave a bowl of candy out and indicate that trick or treaters can grab a piece or two. We did that during the pandemic, for instance, when we lived somewhere with trick or treaters. Of course, you can leave the lights off and dodge them, but there are other options, if you want.

if you’re (or anyone else) pet sitting in Ireland, especially in Dublin or any other cities, I’d say no to that straight away, even if it’s cute, as I’d be more worried about bangers and “fireworks” going off on that night (and the entire month of October to be honest, but mostly on the 31st). it’s also a bank holiday weekend so most likely a very busy and loud time to be taking care of pets, a little bit like December 31st, but way before midnight. In the UK - not sure if it is the same noise wise? they do bonfires, but not sure about loud bangers exploding on that night. I just know that October is tough for dog owners that have dogs who get scared easily by loud noises, so wouldn’t want to add the doorbell to that cacophony

Oh wow do it!! Treat it as a fun cultural experience. This post makes me want to find a halloween pet sit in the US!

Not that exciting!

We once lived in a cul de sac with the best neighbors. We’d all set out tables and hang out, chatting, having cocktails and handing out candy. Various family members came and went inside, so if you had a tricky pet, someone could always stay indoors and no one would ring your doorbell, because the treat tables were outside. Depends on how neigborly you want to be and whether you enjoy hanging out.

1 Like

@jcvbva Since every opening of a door could present an opportunity for a pet escape, I would be careful about giving out candy unless you can secure the pets. They also may be upset or overstimulated about strangers at the door. That said, I would ask about community events for Halloween. There are often communities gathering, festivals, spook houses, etc. Last year we did a sit in Nashville and the owner set us up with a ranger-guided full moon hike in a nearby park on Halloween night. It was fun. Enjoy whatever you do!

This will be my second sit for these folks so I know the dog and the neighborhood. I will probably sit in a lawn chair in front of the house with the dog tethered. Maybe I’ll even wear a costume!

4 Likes

Many folks dress up their pets, too! Maybe you can coordinate costumes, LOL.

Last year I had a pet sit in Boston MA on Halloween. I found a restaurant on Hanover St (North End) and sat by the window and watched all the
Trick-or-treating. On Hanover St all the restaurants and shops hand out candy and people go up and down the street in costume. Several pets were dressed up too.

3 Likes

A few years ago I did a sit in Portland at that time of the year and volunteered in a haunted house. I wasn’t too keen to walk around late so I did the midday kids shift where the kids got to chase the ghosts (me) and tell them to go to bed. It was novel and quirky and just a great travel experience. Was staying in an apartment though so no door ringing.