So so many sits not being filled

Hello Shirl, Re multiple dogs or even cats. My norm is also multiple pets. I find it very easy to care for multiples but maybe it is off putting for some people. The last sit i did had, 7 dogs, 3 cats, 4 horses and also a dozen chickens. I was in my element. I wish you lots of luck. :blush:

3 Likes

Hi @Javadee
I am sorry that you havenā€™t had any applicants as yet. It really is most unusual.
I have taken the liberty of boosting your listing so it is on top of the website once again. Always feel free to message support@trustedhousesitters.com so we can help do this in the future.

Do also share a link to your listing on your forum profile for a bit of extra exposure. But the main website is where All our members will see your opportunity and be able to apply and message with you.
Best wishes
Therese

2 Likes

Oh Javadeeā€¦I saw your posting and it looks great. I canā€™t believe you havenā€™t had any applicants. If we were in the area, we would jump at the chance to sit for you (but I am partial to Wisconsin, since I got married in Door County). Your pups are super cute and the home looks lovely. Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find the perfect sitter!!!

1 Like

Iā€™m finding flights from the UK to the USA are crazy high at the moment and with airport issues in the UK airlines are still cancelling flights at short notice itā€™s not a great combo for me as a sitter and my budget. Looks like fares may come down next year for transatlantic flights.
Hope you are able to sort a sitter.

3 Likes

There seems to be many last minute sits posted recently. For me the overseas sits Iā€™d like to do become impossible if Iā€™m trying to book flights at last minute mainly due to costs. All my overseas sits were confirmed at least 6 weeks in advance so I could take advantage of good flight prices.

2 Likes

The strong dollar doesnā€™t help either. Not a great time to be going to the US.

1 Like

One item that prevents me from applying is the ā€œsitter must have carā€. rentals have Become prohibitively costly.

2 Likes

The pound is certainly weak but the US dollar is at its highest for decades against all the other major currencies.

1 Like

I have received 79 declines in 11 days. I have sent nearly 200 invites all with personal notes. I have reviewed my profile and looked over my sitters guide several times. I must be doing something wrong :frowning: now I have committed to a getaway with my extended family and purchased airline tickets, paid for condo and car rental. To say im discouraged is to put it mildly. I have a sitter for my Feb trip but Iā€™m convinced it is only because he sat last February. I offer all food and car if needed. What am I doing wrong?

@Javadee I looked at your profile and it looks great to me. I wish I was available during that time as I would love to come up and sit. My granddaughter is attending Carthage College in Kenosha so it would have been a great time to go.

Please be a little more patientā€¦I know that is asking a lot, but many folks are waiting until the last minute to apply as there have been so many cancellations over the last couple of years.

3 Likes

The stone cold truth is at least in the United States, in the last year, the number of active house sitters has dropped dramatically. People can say what they want but it just takes a five minute check of the active U.S. sits to see which ones are being filled, how many are ā€˜down to the wireā€™. In the last six years, we have happily used THS probably at least half a dozen times, if not more. We donā€™t have any special features to our home but the sits always had many applicants. All of our sitters were from the states, here, and all of them drove their own vehicles. We seemed to have mostly older retired couples whoā€™d taken up housesitting as way of life. Now, I read so many sitters complaining they donā€™t get the use of a vehicle AND a free place to stay and use of a kitchen and want to do only the most minimal in return. Obviously, no sitter should have to endure a filthy home, dangerous conditions but isnā€™t that really pretty darn unusual? And if taking care of more than one cat is too much for you, then maybe youā€™re better off paying for a hotel, a car and food for your vacation. This site used to be where home owners could vacation less expensively than hiring sitters or kennels, the pets were happier and people traveling who loved animals could get free lodging (and some in pretty swell accommodations) and save money on restaurant dining. PLUS, it seems the norm that many of us HOā€™s now routinely ā€œtipā€, so the sitters are often getting cash, too. I think we have to accept the times have changed. I would never rely on this site any more for a sitter. Iā€™ve looked into hiring local sitters (since I always ā€˜tippedā€™ my THSs anyhow) and found a great kennel that I trust. I know there are some that will chirp up that what Iā€™ve said isnā€™t true, but again, pick 5 major cities in the U.S and look at the listed sits, the dates on them and numbers of applicants.

@Javadee YOU having reviewed your profile is not the best approach. You cannot be as objective and so should take advantage of the opportunity for forum members to give feedback. It has been suggested to you to embed your listing but you have chosen not to do that. Thatā€™s a missed opportunity. In my opinion. Thatā€™s one thing you are choosing to do wrong.

If by your ā€˜sitters guideā€™ you mean the Welcome Guide, thatā€™s not seen by a sitter until a sit is confirmed. At this stage, while you are looking for a sitter, how complete that is is irrelevant.

You said you must be doing something wrong. You have the opportunity to perhaps find out if thatā€™s the case. I encourage you to share your listing with this helpful community.

4 Likes

Well said and Iā€™m a full time sitter. Itā€™s sometimes very embarrassing the lengths pet owners think they have to go to attract a sitter. All we ask is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about your animals and a clean and tidy house. Any money offered will be politely turned down and your home will be left the way we found it. Hopefully your animals will be well fed and exercised and not missing you too much.
The demands, yes demands, are becoming ridiculous.

8 Likes

@Javadee :
I think I figured out which ad is yours among the ones in WIsconsin. I put it in my favoritesā€™list .
Canā€™t do it for this Time as it overlaps with another of my sit. .But will check when you post new ones.
Brigitte

1 Like

HOs do not routinely tip. We are sitters and HOs. And use of car is rife with
liability issues, so frankly, Iā€™m surprised any HO allows it at all.

2 Likes

No problem to do it here in QuƩbec if you inform your insurance company prior to the arrival of your guest.
They may ask for the informations on driving permit.
The challenge is to discuss about the dƩductible. Who would pay it if it needed ?

2 Likes

@KenandMary1998 we have been routinely offered the use of a car and have always been added to the HOā€™s insurance with no problem. We donā€™t sit in the US, however.

1 Like

I dont know what you mean when you say I have chosen not to embed my listing. Greek to me. I am doing everything i can think ofā€¦ if you explain what you mean by embedding ill do it. Thank you :grinning:

2 Likes

@Javadee Therese-moderator embedded a link in a post to you earlier. Itā€™s to add a link to your listing on the forum, by embedding it in your forum username/profile.

Perhaps you didnā€™t realize it was there (post 128). Iā€™ll add the full instructions below. This will allow forum members to review your listing, both to see if they are a fit, but also to provide constructive feedback on the listingā€™s content.

5 Likes

Thank you so much. No that one got by meā€¦ for sure!

1 Like