The flight is end of November, so I'd like to confirm my sitter ASAP

Hello. I haven’t known about this system and my US friend suggested this site, and made listing for about 2 month traveling. It’s the first time to me, but I still can not fix the sitter, I’m really worried about it. But I’m sure you forum fellow will help me.

I received an offer from a solo house sitter who match my place but she suddenly stopped replying since a week ago. I have also sent offering her. Should I withdraw the offer and start finding another sitter? If I offer some sitters, should I look for someone near me at least in Japan (The flight from oversea must be expensive for around New Year)?

I think here near Nara and Osaka, it’s good for experiences of lots of events during the Most important Japanese holiday, New Year.
I received offering from several couples, however my house is a typical Japanese small apartment and I live alone, have enough futon (Japanese bedding stuff) for one person, not two people (That’s why I live with my birdie!). So, solo sitter can only stay I think. But should I prepare for a couple?

If I need to improve my profile or preparation, please give me your advises or comments. Thank you for your reading, I can’t wait for your answer!
Yoko

Hello Yoko, and welcome to the site!

Your sit looks incredible, and a very appealing prospect for many people I’m sure. There was recently a discussion on this forum regarding sits in Japan, so you may wish to post on that thread? With regards to the solo sitter you have received an offer from, I think if you have not heard from her in a week, you are justified in moving on and seeking another sitter. Communication is pivotal to a successful sit, and if she is not responding to you and causing you anxiety, it doesn’t sound like the right fit. You are able to decline the sitter on the system if you choose, and you can write a note indicating that as you have not heard from her in a week, you have decided to proceed with other plans.

It looks like your sit is still live, so you may find that people apply directly, though you can also reach out to local sitters if you choose. Given that your sit is around 2 months away, I wouldn’t worry just yet, as there is still plenty of time for others to apply. In terms of your profile, I would recommend specifying that your preference is a solo sitter, as you live alone and your house is best suited to an individual, but there may be the possibility for a couple. This might open up the possibility of more people applying. Wishing you the best of luck!

1 Like

Welcome! I would recommend that you link your listing in your profile so we can give you feedback. I will say that there are few sits in Japan and therefore few sitters so it may be more challenging to find someone given the cost and timing.

I would give up on the person who stopped responding as it doesn’t bode well for communication during the sit.

If/when you get more applications, please do respond to them quickly, get a call set up with anyone who seems appropriate, and get the sit confirmed quickly. Generally within 24-48 hours. Dragging things out just makes it more likely the sitter will find a different option for that period.

The holidays are a VERY competitive time of year to find a sitter so you should also be preparing a plan be in case it doesn’t happen.

1 Like

Hi @M.Grandis . Just wanted to say that I have read your listing several times before you posted here, and would have loved to come! Japan is on my list and a lovebird - can it be better?. :jp: For personal family affairs I’m not able to be away late december, unfortunately.

I would advice you to press «decline» on the applications that are not a fit. You can only have Five applicants at a time. Declining will therefore open for others to apply. If you have requirements like solositter, put it up front in your listing so others know they needn’t apply.

But Japan-listings with longterm are not that common, I think it can still be sorted. Best of luck!

2 Likes

@Capo01 @Lily_V here’s a homeowner in Japan looking for a sitter - in Nara, which is famous for bowing deer and enthusiastic mochi makers

Hi @Garfield,

I’m glad to hear that. I think except the summer or Hokkaido & highland is good especially for Scandinavian people. Even me, would love to escape somewhere during the summer. It’s over 35 degrees everyday, too muggy. At least my Swedish friends dislike the summer weather.

Thank you for the important advice about only 5 applicants. There is no manual isn’t it? I asked whether the manual exists which is described the procedure to the staff before the payment for this subscription, but he or she didn’t answer about that, just visit this forum, it said.
Yes, I declined the couples thanks to your advice. I wrote in the front of Home & Location, but people don’t read carefully, that’s a waste of time and energy for both. I put “A SOLO sitter” into the title!

Yes, for common people, it’s extremely difficult taking vacation in Japan. Even only 10 days holiday is not acceptable for the companies or people sometimes. We are also Not Allowed having Sick-leaves.

Hopefully you can have an opportunity coming to Japan. Good luck, too!

Hello @CreatureCuddler,

Thank you for your good advice.
I’m not sure which profile I should link my listing that you said.

Yes, finding sitters (and also pet parents) is difficult in Japan I think, that’s why I’m worried about it. The most important thing is Kakapo and I don’t get any bad experience cause of my trip. It’s not easy making decision who appropriate so quick. But anyway I’ve given up her yesterday, I can not expect good responsibility (but might be sick or got in trouble?).

Hello @strawberryjen,

Thank you for your message and kind advice.
Yes, I waited her enough, have given up yesterday, so I could unpause my listing. I received another application but they are a couple again, I added “A SOLO sitter” to the listing title. People often don’t read carefully the instruction…

I can’t relieve until fixing my sitter, be frustrated a little bit. Actually I met a member of BIRDSITTERS (on Japanese system) and I thought that she will take care of him at her house, so I reserved my flight. But she refused later. It was a very uncomfortable experience, very, very dissappointed (Japanese thinking are sometimes not the same, acutually opposite as that they say) . And for Kakapo, when his circumstance is changed, not confortable I think. But Japanese people are really cautious, they don’t visit someone’s place who they don’t know (even though it’s their friend, they don’t visit so much). So, I’ve decided using this site (I feel like I’m not a very Japanese!).

I hope there won’t be any cancellation the right before the flight. And most important thing is Kakapo doesn’t get any bad experience cause of my trip.

1 Like

I see your listing now. I’d recommend the following changes:

1 - Remove the fire pic, that’s just going to scare people.
2 - If the pic of the desk is supposed to show them where they can work, you should take one standing higher so they can actually see the desk and chair they’ll use. Otherwise I’d remove it as it’s confusing and messy.
3 - You need clear, tidy, organized pictures of ALL of the following:

• Bedroom/Sleeping space
  • Kitchen including fridge, cook tops, storage, equipment, etc.
  • Bathroom including shower, sink, toilet, etc.
  • Living room, including sofa, TV, etc.

4 - I would move the house and your pet pictures first and all other pictures at the end.
5 - You specify solo sitter, but is there any way a couple could do it? You’re really limiting yourself in an already limited area.
6 - Requesting people stay quiet after 7 pm is a bit unrealistic. People have lives, make calls, watch TV, etc.
7 - For checking the crop, you should mention if they need to know how to do this or if you’ll train them and how difficult it is. I’ve never heard of it and others likely haven’t either so they may think it’s difficult and be put off.
8 - I would clarify any part of your living situation that is non-western as most sitters are likely not going to be aware of what it’s like to live in Japan. Like I have no idea why there are boards across what looks to be a bath tub. To me that would indicate it’s broken or can’t be used and I’d wonder how i’d bathe since you don’t have any other pictures. Is there even a shower? or only a bath?
9 - I would clarify your wifi speed for those who need to work from home. Most people won’t know what speed basic wifi in Japan would look like.

just a quick review and my $.02. Good luck!

5 Likes

@M.Grandis from your explanation of Japanese culture this sit will probably appeal most to a tourist from another country .

We have done a sit with birds . Once we had feed them and cleaned the aviary , we could go out a visit the attractions in the area and even travel further to the next town with no limits on the time we would be out . We came back each evening . However your listing states “ you can leave here for +6 hours in twice each week when you leave him enough food. Not more than 2 days, he must be sad.”

and

“go back to his cage and cover it by 19:00. Then please stay quiet.”

These two responsibilities appear quite restrictive for a toursit who can only go out 2 days a week and must stay home & quiet in the evenings . For a 2 month sit , it seems quite restrictive.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, can the sitters go out every day if they want to , for how long could they go out ? Can they go out in the evenings?

2 Likes

Thank you so much for such a detail. I’ll consider about that.
The fire picture is Wakakusa Yamayaki, that is the famous New Year event in Nara but I’ll remove later.

Hello @Silversitters,

Thank you for pointing that out. It seems I didn’t explain it well enough. I go to the art school once a week, so I can play with him in the morning but not at night. In other words, I can’t play with him at 6pm night. I meant to say that these irregular days are limited to two days each week. I have deleted the part you pointed out because it was misleading. Thank you again.

1 Like

I’ve taken a look at your listing @M.Grandis and agree with all of the points made by @CreatureCuddler. Your kitchen photo depicts a dresser unit, fridge freezer and microwave but there is no image of the gas stove listed in your amenities section, or of any kitchen worktop / food preparation surfaces. If there is a living area with somewhere to sit down, please include a photo of that. The photo of your bed shows something rectangular under the bedcovers, what is that please? Your amenities section details a bath and shower, but the image of what looks like half a bath with boards over is confusing. I realise there will be cultural differences - surely the very reason why some sitter will apply - but it’s nevertheless important to show clearly what your home offers.

I’d advise commencing with photos of your home, not of a park with deer, then a line of fire or treetops. It’s better to post pics which will convey the most impact, to interest potential sitters. I thought the fire photo was a forest fire, until I read your explanation on here!

Wishing you the best of luck.

4 Likes

I have visited Nara a long time ago, and it is lovely! As soon as I saw the references to the fire photo, I realised it must be the famous “fire cleansing” ceremony at the temple, which would be an amazing thing to experience. This sit could be a great opportunity for an available solo sitter.

From what you have explained, your sitter is likely to be a tourist and may be unfamiliar with Japanese homes. Your photos should aim to show them where they will sit and relax, where they will eat, where they will cook, where they will sleep, and where they will work if they need to.

The THS app / website tends to crop the photos you upload to make them fit. It would be a good idea to check what the photos look like in your listing. You might need to try to take a better photo or have 2 photos from different angles, for example to show where you would cook. I know rooms in Japan are often quite compact, so it can be difficult to take one photo that shows everything. Photos in landscape orientation work best on THS.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your suggestion and advice. I improved some. When I make a video call, and if a sitter come here in advance, I can explain. Fortunately 6 sitters gave me applications by now. I declined some old applications, so that worked I think.

Usually the bath tub has a top and we cover there to keep warm and avoiding gets mold when it has hot water. We also can heat up the water when it gets cold. So, every members of family can use it again. I don’t like waste of water and pomp that for toilet, also Preparing for disasters when the water stops, that’s why I keep the water and cover it to avoid mold.
Again, Thank you.

4 Likes

Thank you @Debbie,@Happypets,

Wakakusa Yamayaki is wounderful, especially this year was so incredible and spectacular view, and I could take the photos that I posted. It’s depends on the weather. If the sitter is lucky, she or he can see next year and I hope the sitter has a joyful day. I’ve mentioned about Wakakusa Yamayaki with URL reference in the profile already, and in common sense, I didn’t think nobody posts a fire photo for house sitters. Anyhow I added a caption in the photo.

Yes, I chenged some photos. But, there is no space enough for a bed, it’s a single folded mattress doubles as a sofa, that’s why for a SOLO sitters.

Thank you for about the tip: photos in landscape orientation. I can’t do everything right now that sitters need, but I can explain when I make a video call.

1 Like