Those Little Irritations

Just for fun…

What are the trivial(ish) things that bug you on sits?

I’m thinking about this because I’m on one at the moment where it took me two days to find the dog poop bags. So I was using bags I’d brought with me for packing any damp stuff ; plus one huuuuge bin liner. (Could see people in the park thinking, Jeeez, how big is her dog??)

Sat at one place which had hard floors everywhere - but no mop and bucket. Arrgghh!

Not Being Able to Find Stuff in general fries my sitter brain.

Another thing that drives me semi-nuts is when the HO has hand soap pump dispensers by the sinks - and they’re all empty. Or nearly empty.

As for being mean with the toilet paper…! Yeah, I replace any I use, and then some, but it’s a comfort to find a decent stock already in place.

Oh - and when you can’t get the keys to work because there’s some knack, which the HO is so used to they probably don’t even notice any more.

And I know it’s now the norm, but when there’s no instant coffee, just some terrifying machine from the 29th century, which I ain’t gonna go near, no way no how. It’s not that I like instant, but I do need some kind of caffeine hit in the morning.

So, what trivial things bug you, as a sitter?

[Yes, I know it’s all stuff you could ask the HO about but I wouldn’t bother anyone with this sorta thing. And as I say, this is just for fun…]

13 Likes

Indeed! I usually take a jar with me, or a number of those small single-cup packages (from hotel rooms, for example…)

But the present HOs deserve all five stars on hospitality: jars with instant (regular and decaf), plenty of poop bags, liquid hand soap, toilet paper, etc, etc.

The only irritation is that the smart tv is smarter than me, but that also happens at hotels. Once I asked the reception desk and even they could not solve it, needed to call in another person :slight_smile:

9 Likes

That’s happened to me a number of times, and I could never figure out why. But since every single one was almost empty, I couldn’t help but think they might have been emptied purposely.

2 Likes

I do wonder, because it’s not a rare occurrence.

Leaving the vacuum cleaner full. It takes about an hour to get it apart, empty it then put it back together. Please, just empty it before you leave!
“Oh, the dog treats are in there” with a vague wave at a very busy corner of the kitchen. Please just take 30 seconds and show me the specific place.
We now travel with our own one cup coffee filter (and travel kettle). Stress less coffee every morning.

5 Likes

Vacuum cleaners that barely work.

14 Likes

Not being able to find a tin can opener !

6 Likes

Hoovers that are on their last legs, overheat and won’t pick up any pet hair

A single pillow

Air conditioners that haven’t been serviced and barely work

Wi-Fi that doesn’t reach the bedroom

Not enough doggy poo bags

No tea towel

No multipurpose spray

Blunt cooking knives

Honestly all very small petty little things we wouldn’t ever mention but so much easier when everything is plentiful and to hand to keep the home and pets in tip top

7 Likes

I forgot about the blunt cooking knives. How do people prepare their food?

5 Likes

I once couldn’t find the charger for the vacuum, so they only got as much vacuumed as the battery allowed (still got rave reviews for my cleanliness :woman_shrugging:t2:).

Currently I’m sleeping on threadbare sheets and the texture is…gross. They’re clean, and as much as I’m someone who uses things until they’re on their last legs… it’s a bit beyond.

4 Likes

In any hotel/Airbnb/house it’s the shower that will drive me mad…. it can take many micro adjustments to get it just right but the water might suddenly surge whilst you’re under the shower and the temp then become scorching or freezing. I believe all showers should come with their own Welcome Guide, and even a YouTube ‘how to operate’ link….:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

No tea towel for sure… Or, only a tea-towel - nothing to dry your hands on. Yeah, can use the same one, but I much prefer it if they’re separate.

2 Likes

It’s the feeble Run-Between-the-Drips showers I hate most. The ones you sometimes find in Europe. Or the “water-saving” ones which defeat their own point, because you have to stand under them for twice as long.

1 Like

No hairdryer! This happened on one sit in The UK and one in The US. I always travel with one since!

3 Likes

My OH :joy:

I am a tidy as you go kinda person and he isn’t! Its like living with a teenager again. :woman_facepalming:

He does most of the cooking (for which I am very grateful :innocent:) so I generally do the dishes and it drives me insane that after he has pulled out every pot and pan he has absolutely no idea where they came from, so I spend ages trying to guess where they go!

He does however walk the dogs miles in the rain (which has been pretty relentless for the last 6 months) so I do reserve this particular rant just for you guys :joy:

4 Likes

No space in fridge or freezer for your food. Having to take photo of contents before I move stuff and sometimes necessary to clean the shelves :thinking:

7 Likes

Our TV remotes need their own Welcome Guide! LOL!

10 Likes

No accessible outlets next to the bed for my phone charger and laptop! It’s not the end of the world but it does irk me.

6 Likes

And next to the couch. Or all sockets are already in use. So now I carry a power strip with me.

7 Likes

People leaving their trashbin full, that’s especially disgusting if they have a full compost bin. I still can’t tell if they simply forget to empty it or leave that for the sitters to figure it out. It happens on most of our sits even in a houses that are overall clean.

4 Likes