Time With Pet v. Time Touring

As I said above, it’s all about clarity and understanding.
Perhaps someone who wants to just relax for a week or two, that would work.
Or someone who works remotely and just wants a beautiful place to stay while they do that.
As long as you are completely clear with your expectations, no problem.

Sorry but this doesn’t really suit THS. If your dogs can’t be left alone for more than 2 hours and have specific needs that are demanding, you should be hiring a paid sitter.

Also, a trial sit to test out sitters? This can’t be serious. It’s a mutual exchange, not a probationary period with a new employer!

2 Likes

sorry. replied before noticing date.

As long as the listing is clear about their expectations (which it seems to be in this case), I think it is totally ok. They might not get tons of applications, but their sit might be a good, fair match for someone.

We have not had any problems with getting sitters. We invite them to come a few days beforehand to stay in the apartment downstairs to explore and stay however long they want to after. Those ARE our requirements. If sitters don’t like it they don’t have to apply. We have had a few repeat sitters. We have a lovely home, huge garden a pool and amazing view. Sitters can travel before and after our sits.

2 Likes

I get it. It’s not for you. But our sits are about OUR pets, not free accommodation in Spain. Those are our requirements and we have a few repeat sitters because they relax here first and take care of our pets and then they get free accommodation and go explore. They have their own apartment downstairs after their sit and can come and go as they please for however long they want. There’s only one rule after sitting and that’s make sure you lock the gate as the dogs can open it. That’s it.

A sit like this I think is great for THS. Definitely not for everyone but if you want to relax by a pool, take some walks and not go out too much it looks like the perfect place to do it.

Having a big variety of sits is what makes the site good. I’d imagine combining this sit with one in a bigger city either before or after.

1 Like

Anything is fair game if you’ve described it accurately in your listing and it meets the sitter’s needs.

What I’m struck with is some HOs have really strict requirements that they likely don’t observe themselves. For instance both members of a couple work in offices or off site and leave their dogs alone for 8 hours a day. And yet they require that their sitters not leave the dogs for more than 2 hours, barely enough time to get to the market for food.

I have a mature dog and a lot of experience with dogs. I also seek opportunities to take the pups I’m sitting for with me when it’s feasible such as hikes or visits to parks where they are allowed. And they always get long walks morning and afternoon. So the idea that I might visit a neighboring town or go out and listen to music and be gone six hours isn’t far fetched. Some listings don’t get considered if the demands are too strict and I doubt very seriously that the pets are care for to those standards when the pet parents are home.