Newbie member from sunny South Florida

Hi everyone, I’ve heard that TH is a great way to travel without the costs of pet care. We prefer to leave our furry son (Duke) in the comfort of his home with a routine that he is used to. We live in Boca Raton, FL and would like to know if it is reasonable to expect a dog loving sitter to NOT be away from Duke more than 4-5 hours. If anyone would like to share their thoughts we would really appreciate it before we decide to actually pay a membership fee. Thanks so much

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Dukeshouse
Duke is a lucky pup to live in Boca. We needs pics please :paw_prints: and yes it is a very reasonable request.
Just include that in your listing and in your conversations with prospective sitters.

2 Likes

Welcome, from someone who has been a sitter with THS since 2014. The variety of sitters here is endless. As a solo sitter, I have done a sit with a dog where I was not to leave him alone. I had a house cleaner once a week for two hours, and that’s when I did my grocery shopping. It was on a small island where dogs were allowed almost everywhere, and the homeowners provided a car. I went on daily drives and enjoyed coastal walks with the dog and was content. It was a sit I would happily return to, even with the limitations on my free time.

We will all stress that communication is the key. The more detail you put in your listing, the more successful your match is likely to be. However, keep in mind that you will create a Welcome Guide that the chosen sitter will receive, where you’ll add the fine details.

Ask away with your questions here, or read a few posts that will give you great information. Oh, and it’s not just a savings on the cost of pet care, it can be like Duke having a spa vacation, as he’s likely to be a pampered while you’re away. He may just be eager for you to travel more often. :blush:

3 Likes

I don’t see 4 to 5 hours as a problem. That said, some additional thoughts - depends on your location. If you are very remote than can you get somewhere within an hour or so - hour out and an hour back then 2 or 3 hours to visit somewhere?
The sit I’m on now in Pleasantville, NY has asked that I not leave the dog alone for more than 4 hours. But has also told me that I can drop her with doggy-day-care if I do want to be away longer. Given the current Covid situation I’m not going to be away more than 4 hours.

3 Likes

hI @Dukeshouse - welcome to the community! Not wanting Duke to be left for more than 4-5 hours is perfectly reasonable and is something I see mentioned many times in listings.
All pets and their routines are very different so just be sure to mention it in your listing and be sure to confirm it with your sitter before finalising the sit.

Hi @Dukeshouse … I love that the most important member of your family gets to be front and centre of your profile :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :dog:

You’ve already had some great feedback and advice from our members and as @Snowbird says communication is the key to a successful experience for everyone involved, especially Duke.

Welcome again, feel free to ask any questions we have the most helpful and supportive community who will be more than happy to help.

Angela & The Team

2 Likes

No problem. A lot of us are not really gone more than couple hours only. If itm around, let me know. I will be in Florida in couple weeks. I can meet you and put you to ease.

I’ll be in Florida on another house sit next July so if you need a reliable, and experienced doggy sitter from the UK at the end of July through to the first week of August, do reach out.
But you’d have to be a full member of THS first so do jump on in!!

1 Like

Welcome!!! Our dog growing up was named “Duke” - inappropriately by my brother when he was little as Duke was really a Duchess, lol!

1 Like

that’s funny.

1 Like

Oh good to know. Hope borders are not shut down again to limit travel.

Great to hear. Whereabouts will you be in Florida? We are in Boca Raton.

Thanks for confirming that 4-5 hours is not unreasonable.

Good point about location. We are in what I call a suburban city, Boca Raton. Nothing is far! Glad to hear our 4-5 hour expectation is not unreasonable.

1 Like

Thank you, everyone has been so helpful and forthcoming.

Thanks, I will be joining and posting photos and info, just have to find the time LOL. Thanks for your tip!

Sounds like you have had some wonderful and interesting dog sits. Thanks for your tips, I will definitely post as much info and photos to give sitters the best overview.

Whole Florida is mine. Base is Winter Garden and Port st Lucie. I have my car.

@Grandma for your own safety and privacy, forum posts are not to include email addresses or phone numbers. Please click on the pencil below your post and delete that information. Thank you.

You can share your contact information by sending a direct message to a forum user. Click on their username and click on the green envelope.

Francine, Voluntary Forum Moderator

I thought this was direct