Unfortunately i do not speak english well

Hello,
unfortunately i do not speak english well. That’s why i often don’t dare to apply for a sit. Who knows that? How do you handle it? Writing messages are ok because i use a translater. During conversations i am unsure if i understand everything right.
I live in Germany. Many emigrants who speak little german live here. I am to wimpy?
By the way i am learning english in a language course … it will get better :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t let that stop you. I’ve seen some non-english sits listed and I use translate if I want to apply. I always include in my message that I’m using a translation software and apologize for any errors it makes and I explain that I know some basics of the language but I’m far from fluent. During conversations, i would see if you can use google translate speech to text and maybe that would help? I’ve done that before in the past. Just pass it back and forth. Sometimes the results are funny but it’s worked in the end. Learning english is difficult as we have a lot of weird rules. Good luck!

5 Likes

@Kristina
Wimpy… no not at all. Go all out for it, daunting at first, but you will get better and more confident as time goes on. I speak very little German but was booked for a sit in Karlshrue but it didn’t go-ahead due to Covid.
Best Wishes

3 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t speak German.
However, it would not stop me applying for sits there. Google translate is my friend. We have found if you try to speak the countries language people tend to be more friendly and helpful because you are making an effort and not assuming everyone should speak your chosen language. I even had a very scrappy Spanish conversation with a shop keeper yesterday afternoon (who spoke perfect English) who was correcting my vocabulary and grammar. Lovely lady.
Don’t let your lack of different languages hold you back. People are kindness itself on THS.

4 Likes

Thank you for your kind words. This gives me courage :slight_smile:

5 Likes