Unpacking Space

I have to say, majority of my sits go very well. I am fortunate to look for and be asked to sit for 3+ weeks at a time. It is disappointing to arrive and the HO has not provided any space anywhere to unpack. No closet space, hangers or drawer space. Yes there are dressers and closets but all full. And no place to put luggage open or closed. For a weekend or a week may not matter, but really we’re there for a month or more and trying to find someplace to put our clothing? I guess I should add I am a solo nomad so all that I own is with me in Two suitcases and a backpack. So I do long sits to settle in not live out of my suitcases.

I know THS recommends drawer space and room, mostly I find that ignored and the HO isn’t even sorry…you’ll make do and what can we say at that point.

I have gotten to the point where I take photos, move things from drawers place them neatly on a sheet somewhere, cover with a sheet. Then put them back in the drawers before I leave. Closet space forget it. Love it when a HO has a guest room that is ready for any guest…

3 Likes

About half of the 20 sits I’ve done have not provided any space to unpack, no drawer or closet space. Most of those were good sits otherwise, but it does make me feel unwelcome.

2 Likes

I must admit that I am not good at that either when I am having guests at my place (couchsurfers etc). I can empty some shelf space in the guest room. But there is no closet for hanging clothes. They can use the laundry rack in the guest bathroom. I should try to improve this.

As a sitter, I am travelling very lightly, by train and/or bicycle. I don’t need to take much with me because I can use the home owner’s washing machine. So I can hang my stuff on door handles etc. That does not make me feel unwelcome.

1 Like

I think when you’re sitting for a month or more that is not realistic or welcoming to the sitter. As I said a weekend is one thing a month not acceptable.

| pietkuip
19 August |

• | - |

I must admit that I am not good at that either when I am having guests at my place (couchsurfers etc). I can empty some shelf space in the guest room. But there is no closet for hanging clothes. They can use the laundry rack in the guest bathroom. I should try to improve this.

As a sitter, I am travelling very lightly, by train and/or bicycle. I don’t need to take much with me because I can use the home owner’s washing machine. So I can hang my stuff on door handles etc. That does not make me feel unwelcome.

Edited to remove sensitive/personal information.

I am sitting here for a month now, and I have no real problem with it. My shirts are on the door handles of the closets in the bedroom where I sleep. I feel comfortable here.

Here’s an earlier thread on this subject

Yes, it happens from time to time that we must live out of a suitcase during a sit. I prefer to have some wardrobe or drawer space but obviously not all hosts can provide it. That’s life!

2 Likes

I pack a couple of over-the-door hooks from the dollar store in my luggage. They take minimal space and are virtually weightless. I have needed to use them many times. No big deal if I forget to repack when I leave.

2 Likes

I pack lightly and living out of my suitcase doesn’t bother me.

1 Like

That’s a good idea. When I driving. I guess just toss when I’m flying overseas. Thanks. Still living out of suitcases. I’m a solo nomad so all I own is in two suitcases and a backpack. I appreciate being able to unpack.

I guess I should add I’m a solo nomad. So everything I own is with me in two suitcases and a backpack. I take 4+ weeks housesits to settle in.

If this is important to you, especially because you do long sits and are nomadic, I’d suggest discussing it before agreeing to a sit. It doesn’t have to come across as a demand. You could just say something like, I appreciate being able to unpack when I sit. Can you give me an idea of whether there will be room for that?

If you nudge along those lines, HOs might make more effort even if they’re not already set up that way.

After my first THS sit, I shared feedback with the HO privately that other sitters might appreciate somewhere to store their clothes (even though I don’t care) and adding a couple of nightlights could prevent an accident, because the only toilet in the home was on the ground floor. I did it in a friendly way and the HO was appreciative.

3 Likes

Collapsible clothes rails are the answer. I don’t suggest you carry one around but I’m sure most home owners could find a small storage for it and when they have a sitter/visitor voila!

2 Likes

I like to have the space to unpack, but after 20+ years of not being able to at my mother’s, I’m used to it. Since I’m traveling by car, I have an over-the-door shoe rack that I use for my clothes. It’s worked out great; I can put the hooks in one of the pockets, fold it up, and tuck it somewhere.

3 Likes

That’s a great idea @purplepetlover! Do you have pictures of it folded up, and then open with your things in it? It seems like that might be a big help to many of us…

1 Like

@Karen_E, I have a bag that lays flat to put in hanging clothes (not using it in that capacity at the moment), and then rolls up and turns into a duffel bag (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZLTL7V). All of my clothes go back into the duffel bag, I don’t leave them in the shoe rack (https://a.co/d/aEIBejc). Thus, it folds up fairly flat.

Or a link to the bag?

I edited my last post to include the links.