Urgent advice needed on Dangerous Dogs Act UK

Last weekend, my 5 yr old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel was attacked by a male Bull Mastiff, being walked off lead. He was siezed from my arms by the rear, and flung around in the Mastiff’s jaws. The owner took ages to try to reach for the mastiff’s collar to pull him off. Eventually the mastiff dropped my dog and we rushed to the vet. He is recovering after several punctures to his rump, his legs and the scr…tum was pierced. I know the owner and I have been threatened by the dog before now, when on that occasion, I threw my cavalier up on to the bonnet of a parked car to stop the mastiff attacking him. The Bedfordshire Police say it is simply a ‘Dog on Dog’ incident and are very reluctant to get involved. Can anyone give me some advice? Has anyone any experience of this?

I am so sorry to hear about this, what an awful experience for you and your poor dog. I don’t have any personal experience do draw on, but I have found this information from the RSPCA (UK regulations), which confirms exactly what you were told by the police…

**What happens if my dog is attacked by another dog? Is that an offence? **
It is an offence if your dog attacks an assistance dog but attacks on other animals including pet dogs are not. However, a court could prosecute if a person believes they would have been injured if they tried to stop a dog attacking their animal. If your dog is attacked by another dog, the incident should still be reported to the police immediately.

You’ve obviously done the right thing by reporting this attack. Did the owner give any indication as to why their dog becomes aggressive? This is such a difficult situation and I can imagine you’ve done all the obvious things, but clearly this dog should be on a lead. Is the owner approachable? Have others locally had similar problems? Is your vet able to give any advice? I’m just throwing out thoughts.

Here’s the full article…

1 Like

Seriously??!! That needs to change.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m appalled that only assistance dogs are covered by the legislation and I AM ‘worried’ by the constant threat posed by this dog. But the police are trying to fob me off.

@Myhnabird @LTD It was a surprise to me too to be honest when I read that. I don’t see why having training as a service dog makes it different :frowning:

It feels as though a Service dog is being given higher value (which I don’t dispute) but I don’t think the point is the dog’s “value” - dangerous dogs need to be kept under control and their owners held responsible for anything they do when they are not controlled. After all, it’s not a very big step from mauling dogs (which is bad enough!) to biting a child.

1 Like

Yes agree with you… this of course is specific to the Dangerous Dogs Act UK which was the question… there is more general advice on the UK gov site about controlling your dog in public, although it seems a little at odds with this act.

Yes, there are lots of contradictions. I’m pursuing the issue but unless the police acknowledge that I am now fearful of being attacked by these dogs, ( which the DD Act allows for), nothing will happen.

1 Like