What are the Challenges of a Nomadic Lifestyle?

I came across a post on another forum about a couple who stated that they were full-time nomadic sitters and had been booked for a 3-month sit, but it had been cancelled by the hosts. Disappointed because of the cancellation, they further stated that they rely on pet sitting accommodations because they could not afford rent.

As a part-time sitter, I love traveling to new places and meeting new pets and people. However, traveling expenses such as airfare / car rental can add up over time—so if I need a financial break, I am fortunate to have a home to come back to.

For those living a full-time nomadic lifestyle as sitters, do you rely on long-term sits and the accommodations of HOs?

What are the Challenges of a Nomadic Lifestyle?

How do you navigate all the fluctuating expenses / costs in traveling to different locations?

Sorry for the questions, but I must say that I find the nomadic lifestyle fascinating.

8 Likes

My husband and I started traveling pretty much full time in 2011, started housesitting in 2014, and up until 2020, we had a home base at my mom’s house in New Jersey where we would spend at least a few months at a time. She died that year and since then we have truly been full-time nomads.

For those 6 years, we would often do sits in NYC to break up the time at her home–we didn’t have a car so could only do sits that didn’t require one and we were only a 40 min bus ride away.

Since we started doing this 10 years ago, our accommodation is almost exclusively courtesy of housesitting. Last year, we spent 8 months doing sits in 7 different countries, and for the first time in many years, we ended up paying for accommodations for longer periods–a month in an AirBnB in Turkey and a 2 week gap between sits in South Korea and Thailand that we spend traveling around the latter. Besides these rare instances, accommodation costs pretty much consist of very short gaps between sits.

We are from the US, and usually will spend at least several months there at a time. Between having a car which allows us to go pretty much anywhere, and having so many opportunities available, it is very easy to find back to back sits.

Besides not having to pay for housing, we live a pretty simple life that doesn’t cost very much. And while costs can sometimes fluctuate depending on where we are, we generally spend a similar amount of money no matter where we are.

We eat most meals at home, and unless there is some sort of touristic experience that seems really unique and interesting, we don’t spend very much money on stuff like that at all since most of it isn’t worth it to me. The thing I enjoy most about a new area is just exploring and living more like a local.

While international travel does increase our costs compared to sitting domestically, it still usually works out to much less than if we were paying rent somewhere.

For example, our fight costs from last year–US -Greece- Turkey -Prague-London-Vietnam- Korea-Thailand-US-- divided by 8 months probably worked out to less than 500 USD a month. That isn’t much at all considering all of the places we got to stay–luxury villas in Thailand and Turkey, a huge riverside apartment in Prague, an apartment in one of the most central areas in London to name a few.

We came from the US to Central America in the middle of March and those travel costs have been minimal. With points, our tickets from NY to Costa Rica only cost a little over 100 dollars and we were in the same spot for almost 3 months. We started a sit in Panama last week and those travel costs–bus tickets and a couple of nights in a hotel–were only about another hundred.

We are kind of lazy travelers who don’t like to do a ton of sightseeing, who don’t like to move around much, who don’t like to stay in hotels or smaller AirBnb accommodations.

We are actually kind of homebodies so the responsibilities of housesitting don’t really feel like any sort of hindrance to our travels.

We have never really had any truly bad experiences housesitting–we rely strongly on intuition, are very selective about the sits to which we apply, and we have a very strong sense of our preferences and deal breakers, which we adhere to consistently.

Sure it can feel challenging sometimes always moving around but we have been doing it for so long and I can’t imagine living any other way. And if at some point we decided it wasn’t for us, then we would just stop. But I don’t see that on the horizon any time soon.

17 Likes

Wow! I enjoyed reading your post and you could definitely write a book on the nomadic lifestyle.

I am retired from the military and am financially secure. Even still, budgeting requires me to be financially disciplined in order to maximize value. When traveling, I will seek out the main attractions to see and try to stretch money when needed without sacrificing experiences.

Do you think you budget better living a nomadic lifestyle?

1 Like

We started pet sitting just over a year ago and loved it, so we altered our lives to do it full time following our first sit. But we have passive income, and also we turned our own home into a holiday cottage once we realised how amazing it was to share our lives with animals again, it’s brilliant. So we aren’t reliant on pet sitting to cover accommodation costs, it simply gave us a totally different way of life, a one which we love love love.

Right now, for the first time in over a year, we are actually staying in our own home for just over a week (the holiday cottage), it’s the longest time we’ve been here since we started sitting, we just love sitting so much.

We only sit in the UK and Spain, and we own a car to get about in the UK, and the flights to Spain are reasonably cheap, considering we don’t have normal bills now. We only have between 1 or 2 nights gap here and there, where a Travelodge in the UK has come in handy, and for Spain gaps we stay with family, which is the primary reason for going there in the first place.

11 Likes

Us too, we’ve always had a great time at each sit we have done, with amazing pets. We choose our first few sits based on the cuteness of pets :laughing: , but very quickly that changed and it became based on trusting our intuition for profiles that gave us a feel-good factor, it’s more important than anything else to us.

2 Likes

@sharondc I am sure living this way has changed how we deal with money, but we don’t really ever think too much about what our ‘budget’ is because no matter where we are, we really don’t spend a lot of money outside of true necessities. Even before we started living this way, both of us were kind of minimalists in many regards naturally.

Flight costs are definitely the biggest thing we consider when deciding on whether we want to go somewhere, and there are many times when we feel that the expense is not worth it, and we don’t apply.

And this limited spending isn’t really from a space of being super frugal so much as we just don’t really spend money on typical travel stuff unless it is something we really want to do. For example, when we were in London and Prague, our favorite thing to do was simply go for long walks exploring
different neighborhoods.

While it is nice to go out to eat, that really isn’t something we do with any real frequency unless it is a lower cost of living country like Thailand where we can get a delicious vegetarian lunch for two for less than 5 dollars! We really aren’t foodies, and eating out a lot in expensive countries, would just seem like a waste of money to us personally. We also don’t drink at all so I am sure that saves us some money too.

We both have online sources of income and pretty substantial savings, but I do my best to limit dipping into that on a regular basis.

7 Likes

I am also curious about people’s experiences. Most of my stuff is in storage, in a temp apt, and planning to try nomadic from Nov 1 through Jun 2025. But just states.

1 Like

Trusting intuition is so important, but it can be challenging with something like housesitting, and I think that is what trips people up.

If we get an intuitive nudge that a particular experience may be bad, the only way to get any validation of our feelings is to go through with the experience and have those bad things happen.

It can be hard to trust our feelings about stuff, especially if we are attached to sitting in particular areas, there is something really desirable about a particular house, we are worried we won’t fill the dates,etc… All of that can make it easy to go against our instincts.

For all the times I have avoided a sit because of a feeling, I can’t really know if I was ‘right’ because I didn’t actually experience the sit.

But having had such an overwhelmingly positive experience for a decade, that simply can’t be chalked up to luck, and listening to that inner guidance is probably the most important piece of advice I can give to people, especially if they are planning doing this full-time or for extended periods.

9 Likes

As I mentioned in my original post, I am fascinated by the nomadic lifestyle. In my opinion, I find those who live this way to be bold and courageous. I also find it to be liberating as you are not tied down to the ‘normal bills’ as you say.

The holiday cottage sounds lovely—hope you are enjoying!​

2 Likes

When traveling or not traveling, I am the same way as I do not spend money on a lot of things. I have just never been much of a shopper. I have no problem shopping at thrift or goodwill stores. I just never had to have the latest and greatest of material things. I also do not drink or smoke—so those things absolutely add to savings.

One of my friends just returned from Thailand. He loved it—the culture and customs. He was telling me about the wai and how much respect is revered there.

1 Like

Challenges of a nomadic lifestyle?
Here’s a crowdsourced list of the main challenges:

• loneliness, and time away from friends / family / loved ones
  • similarly, lack of local and overall community & support system
  • house sit hosts’ date changes and cancellations
  • the occasional unkind or unkempt house sitting host
  • at times unreliability of short-term and mid-term housing (airbnb, etc.)
  • difficulty sticking to healthy routines re: eating, exercising, socializing, sleeping
  • lack of routine can become an issue for some
  • dealing with jet lag, airlines, & international border control regularly
  • moving can be exhausting and stressful, and nomads move constantly
  • for those working remotely, time zones and scheduling can be an issue
  • difficulty making or maintaining new friendships (as you’re always leaving)
  • some nomads have trouble with work-life balance
  • it can be tricky to get medical care
  • you have to be very flexible about everything, all the time, but also organized enough to be a great sitter and traveler (and for some, remote worker)
  • some don’t save as much money as they expect, or it’s not worth the trade-offs
  • looking for, scheduling, and organizing sits can be a lot of work, for nomads who house sit

Yes, it can be liberating. It all sounds very romantic and adventurous. And it can be! But it usually comes at a price over time, so people have to weigh whether that “price” is worth it to them.

14 Likes

@sharondc I went to a Goodwill for the first time in Stamford CT a few months back, and I got a whole warm weather wardrobe for about 100 bucks! I think I bought about 10 dresses, a few pairs of pants and a few tank tops.

Great, quality stuff. It was huge and I wonder if it being in a wealthier area had anything to do with having the type of selection it did.

I highly recommend Thailand…we have spent more time there than probably any other country over the years and it is our overall favorite country!

5 Likes

The boldest and most courageous step is always the first step, in our case when we decided to do it full time, but to us it wasn’t bold or courageous, it was just exciting and enticing and we just simply did what felt right for us to do in that moment.

Yes you are totally right, it is liberating and free-ing, which we didn’t think we wanted at all, but that definitely happened, and it’s an amazing feeling, like a new lease of life.

4 Likes

There are always good bargains to find in thrift / goodwill stores. For the 10 dresses you bought, one would spend that much on one dress in a shopping mall. :sweat_smile:

What are your favorite things about Thailand?

1 Like

That sounds like a fresh of breath air. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I retired in 2018 and was getting itchy feet, my husband is still working and could only negotiate to work from home 50% of the time so our travelling was limited - Then Covid hit and he, like many, was moved to working from home 100%. We thought this seemed like a good time to test our travel plans. So we started our adventure during the pandemic.

August 10TH 2020 we bought a suitcase each and anything we owned that we could not fit inside it we either sold or gave away.

September 1st 2020 We let our apartment

September 4TH 2020 We took a one-way flight from Manchester to Greece, from there we went to Italy, then to Spain staying in Airbnbs

At the end of March 2021 ( because of the new 90/180-day rule ) we returned to the UK.

We headed north and booked six weeks in an Airbnb in Edinburgh, it was whilst we were there that we discovered THS.

We did our first sit in June 2021 and loved it so we booked more, and before we knew wherecwe were, we’d completely stopped booking Airbnbs and were using housesitting exclusively for our accommodation.

This nomadic lifestyle really suits us so I can see us carrying on for the foreseeable future. We are currently in London on our 64th sit!

Over the last three years we have been house sitting in England, Scotland, Belgium, The Netherlands, Spain, Australia and New Zealand.

Financially we’re ok. We have some rental income and I have a small pension.

We spend, on average, £1200 ish per month

We’re not big spenders, we do what we want, when we want. Sometimes we spend a lot of time exploring areas where we are sitting, other times we hardly leave the house. We eat out once a week and never waste money on anything we dont need as everything we buy, we have to lug around with us!

My husband still works full time but we’ve decided, mainly because of the minimalistic nomadic life we now lead, we dont need his income so he has handed his notice in at work.

On July 4th he is officially retired, aged 46!

19 Likes

How appropriate- Independence Day. Congratulations to Karyo and enjoy every moment :+1::clinking_glasses:

5 Likes

What if you have booked airfare and a host cancels or changes dates? What do you do then?

That is quite remarkable that you and your husband are on your 64th sit.

How did you discover THS while you both were in Edinburgh?

July 4 will soon be here, so happy early retirement wishes to your husband.

2 Likes

@Colin Congratulations to Karyo on his early retirement! Looking forward to seeing where your housesitting adventures take you both next!

1 Like