What Do You Do To Make Do? Let's Improvise

There have been several posts recently that have generated a lot of discussion. We have discussed what we always take to sits, what we wish we had at sits, what is missing at sits…
I am sure most sitters are resilient and inventive so, how about sharing some ways that you have coped with the challenges of living in other people’s homes, often in very different cultures. Let’s turn those negatives into positives. I’ll start with a very simple solution to a minor problem.

You don’t have to share a photo, you can just explain what you do, I know you may not have photos of your solution.

When you don’t have a saucepan lid to fit the saucepan.

4 Likes

I love improvision ideas.
The saucepan lid idea works so well … I even use it in my own home :rofl:

3 Likes

@Jilly I do something similar when I’m unable to locate plastic wrap or a container for leftovers-I use a plate inverted over a bowl.

3 Likes

@Joanne, yes I use plates to cover things, even at home. I do have some cling film in the kitchen but try not to use it unless absolutely necessary.

3 Likes

@Jilly First let me say thank you for such a great post that is so helpful. I’m also expecting that some ideas will make me laugh. I think you’re turning past lemons (posts) into lemonade. :heart_eyes:

I’m on a sit and here’s my current teapot. It’s a large mug and so easily give me two smaller mugs, which is more than enough for me.

In case you can’t guess from the photo, yes, I’m sitting cats. :smile_cat:

7 Likes

@Snowbird it seems that placing items on top of each other is becoming a theme. :rofl: Love the mug. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Sorry but how is this a teapot and not just a large mug of tea??

1 Like

@Londongal In Canada, where I live, the average Canadian would take that large mug and dunk the teabag repeatedly until the tea was their desired colour, and then drink from the large mug, regardless of how cool the tea became. From what I understand, Americans would just leave the teabag in the mug while they’re drinking the tea. That I don’t get.

I like my tea to stay hot for as long as possible. My version is that I first warm both mugs with boiling hot water, then make the tea in the large mug and let it steep. Then remove the teabag, pour one mugful, put the lid back on the other, and enjoy the first mug. Then return to the larger mug, as close to hot as a teapot with a cozy on it can get. Picky, but that’s the way I like it.

As for the person who recently said that a microwave replaces a kettle, well that made me cringe at the thought. As for those who would say I should be using loose-leaf tea - well, we’re all different. Each to their own ways and preferences. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Sounds very complicated but then I’m not such a tea lover. I do love the mug and saucer though!

1 Like

If the pillow is lumpy, I use my trusty fleecy blanket on top of the pillow to even out the ‘lumps’.

2 Likes

@LTD, sounds like your fleecy blanket goes everywhere with you. I have a wrap that I take everywhere with me, it serves a multitude of purposes. Smoothing out a lumpy pillows sounds like a good use for your blanket.

1 Like

Using a microwave to ‘boil’ a cup of tea or coffee (or anything intended to be hot) is incredibly dangerous.

1 Like

I’m really surprised there have been so few responses to this post. The list of wants/needs on another post grows longer every day so it would be very useful to have a few more ideas on how to cope when these wants/needs are absent from a home.
I’ll do another one now and maybe it will kick start the post again.
In a house with no toaster and no grill I found one of those wire grill basket things that are used for cooking fish on a barbeque. After a good scrub I was able to use it for making toast by holding it over the gas ring. Took a while, but worked reasonably well.

2 Likes

@Pawtastic I found this Ask Us: Why is it dangerous to heat water in the microwave? | Science Illustrated

2 Likes

I like my builders tea nearly cold so top up with cold water.don’t like hot drinks.same with coffee. I know I’m just weird.

@Pawtastic well, I didn’t realise that happened so I’m sure lots of other people would also be unaware.
I don’t have a microwave so I won’t have to worry about any sitters harming themselves.

2 Likes

Common sense tells you NOT to use a microwave as a kettle.
That’s common sense.

2 Likes

@LTD - saying that using a microwave to boil a cup of tea is extremely dangerous I would say is on par to saying crossing the road is extremely dangerous

Since having our first microvae in the 70’s I have only ever really used them for three things, warming soup, quick baked potatoes and boiling water for a cup of tea! - and I have lived to tell the tale!

Look both ways before you cross and microwave in short intervals - moving the mug eliminates any danger of ‘superheating’ - That’s common sense

5 Likes

Years ago, a friend came round one evening. She asked to make a cuppa and in the kitchen
out of sight from me, used the microwave instead of the kettle. When she opened the mv door, the water in the cup exploded out towards her and she spent a night in hospital. Incidences such as this are legion.

2 Likes

Who knew @Colin that we’ve both been living life on the edge for 40+ years :wink:. If a microwave isn’t for making things hot, what other use does it have? While we love using all the instant hot water pots, on most every counter in the UK, they are not a mainstay in the US. I do agree that mugs MUST be microwaveable, to keep your fingers safe. My favorite use for my microwave is popping popcorn in a paper lunch bag—much easier and healthy!