What is your most wanted 'missing amenity' at a sit?

Wouldn’t you need to wash that in a washing machine? I have never seen that in the UK.

3 Likes

Just wash in sink, bin whatever suits your fancy
It is what many people have used before
Electric pots

Well @toml you’ve opened up a can of worms, or perhaps I should say a jar/bag/tin/pod of coffee (ground/beans/whatever) :rofl:

To those who may go :scream:, let me just say that I’m so grateful that I don’t drink coffee. Yes, no doubt some/many of you will tell me I don’t know what I’m missing, but I dislike the smell even, and just a mere mocha taste in anything spoils things for me.

In the past I’ve felt bad when homeowners with big coffee machine contraptions explain how they spent hours cleaning it for me, etc., and stocked up on coffee (not that I’d use their stock anyway). I now try to find an opportunity to tell people that I bring my teabags with me (camomile, and first thing in the morning - yes, bizarre maybe, as most use it to help with sleep, but it’s also good for digestion).

@Amparo @mars @anon39388349 @Els

5 Likes

@Snowbird mirrors and coffee … I don’t drink coffee either and travel with tea bags (builders tea) on my last sit when we did the kitchen walk round, we stopped in front of the family’s pride and joy a top, top, top of the range espresso machine she was about to explain the degree level, operating instructions, when I had to say …

“Thank you but we don’t drink coffee” …

I don’t know who was more relieved … her for not needing to explain or me for fear of pressing a wrong button, all I needed to do was dust the beast. :laughing:

4 Likes

( a land phone to give local calls (using my cell phone lately to call the THS vet line in England from Switzerland cost me money during 25 minutes…)

Provence Trusted house sitter should have a Whats App number
then it would free for anyone in the world

10 Likes

I do drink tea and have also been known to carry my own as well as other items I have to bag and label but still draws the attention of TSA :nerd_face:
I’ve done two sits with these massive fancy machines. One woman made me a video on how to use it saying I absolutely had to try it.
The other said no way do you touch this. :crazy_face::woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

I drink tea too and travel with a variety of tea bags. The HO at one of my sits owned a coffee shop and had a gorgeous high-end espresso machine at her home. She taught me how to use it and I enjoyed incredible coffee while I was there! So many new and interesting machines and appliances I’ve had the chance to use in different homes— of course, for some it was a steep learning curve. Thank heavens for Internet videos and instruction manuals.

3 Likes

We’ve called the vet line once, from Mexico. We used our Skype account from which you can call landlines much cheaper

4 Likes

Same I think not drinking coffee or pop (soda, coke, whatever you call it in your area of the world) were two of the best personal choices I ever made. I am a tea addict though and have become a tea snob. I travel with a selection of loose leaf teas and an infuser so I’m never without. I can’t do bagged tea any more which can be occasionally annoying. lol

2 Likes

I camped for years, and then traveled all over Central America with one of these!! In days before travel coffee gadgets became all the rage!! Very effective, lightweight and packable! You’re a girl after my own heart!!

3 Likes

Tumble dryer and dishwasher are always most welcome for us.

2 Likes

It just works and very efficiently. I spent many years living a very simple life on a few family owned farms. We had coffee! I learned to harvest and roast in big vat over an open fire.

Those are experiences that last a lifetime.
:pray::sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Well this is from the other side …. Or so far …. Although the idea of being a sitter appeals as well.
I am pleased we seem to have quite a few of these covered , though we have rather an old fashioned Dartmoor house. I however will look to get something to put a suitcase on for short stays especially.
We would always leave tea and coffee but not tea bags … the teapots have those seive things in so easy to clean. My effort at an expresso machine now leaks so we are back to a load of differing sizes of French Press. I think that will have to do! The mirror is covered at least but I can see we fail again on a tumble dryer. This was for ECO reasons so we are stumped there. What we have done is have an area in a small room where we use a fast dehumidifier and that seems to work pretty well.
Sharp knives we have covered and bottle openers and cork screws. Could manage without them!

It’s been really revealing reading this but it does seem to have become fixated on coffee … what else can we HOs think of

Thanks Tom

5 Likes

Leaving a long extension cord with multiple sockets would be helpful. I travel with one because I found, especially in older homes, plugs are generally not where I need them to be or the only socket in the right place is being used by a lamp that, if unplugged, will leave me inconveniently dark. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would be happy without the dryer. Most of the clothes I travel with are fairly quick dry :wink:

2 Likes

Hi @tombell13
I do not have a tumble drier at home and I avoid using tumble driers when I carry out a sit. I find that they take an age and then the laundry still comes out damp.

2 Likes

Do you have a clothes line indoors? How long does it take a sheet or two to dry?

1 Like

In the summer, I peg out in the garden. In winter or rainy weather, I dry in front of the Aga or use an indoor drying rack in a spare bedroom. Dries in no time and better for environment

4 Likes

Mea culpa on the coffee fixation @tombell13!
I honestly have no expectations or list of demands. I am very easy going and a master of flexibility and making do with what is, in all areas of my life.
What is most important to me is that the animals, the people, and the dates are a match.
I appreciate and am grateful for all that is available and offered. I in turn offer the best within my abilities.

5 Likes

The same for me. I can make do with no coffee. I took this topic to mean your ideal wish list.
Wonderful pet(s) (like the dog I am now watching – I am in LOVE with him) is the most important aspect of the sit. I had the most wonderful sit last summer and no coffee was available. I would have no interest in house sitting if pets were not involved.

4 Likes