What photos do you like to see?

I have seen sits where owners only include one or two photos. I am always wary to apply for a sit if I can’t view the inside or outside of the property first.
I automatically think they have something to hide

3 Likes

Totally agree! The same goes when the description is one line long.

We have a list of red flags, and these are definitely near the top! Not only do we like knowing what we are getting ourselves into, but also if they are putting little effort into their listing - in our experience this means they will put little effort into having a housesitter.

4 Likes

We agree with @ChrisAndSuzeGoWalkies, it’s certainly a red flag and something that makes us pause. Pictures are an incredibly helpful way to get a full scope of the home, pets and lifestyle we’re signing up for. Everything from looking to see if there’s a TV or microwave in the home, to a place to work or even places to sit (seriously! we arrived to one sit and found out that they were trying out a new thing of sitting on the floor :face_with_hand_over_mouth:).

Even though it’s a red flag, it alone isn’t enough to deter us. If we’re fortunate enough to hear back from the homeowner after an application, we’ll ask for more pictures or even a walk through over a video chat. Along with the reasons @anon36831737 points out, we’ve also found that owners may be reluctant to add pictures of their home on a public website and we completely understand wanting that privacy.

We would also add on to what Chris and Suze said, that we’re unlikely to apply to a sit that has few pictures AND brief/little descriptions within the listing. To us that heavily implies that little effort was put into the listing and we’d worry that the same would go for the sit itself.

2 Likes

Some of my best sits have only had a single photo. If the area and pets interest me, I will apply and ask for photos to be emailed to me. Some people are new and/or busy, and others just aren’t comfortable having photos of their home posted on the internet. I can appreciate that.

However, if they aren’t willing to email pics, then I wouldn’t proceed with the application.

2 Likes

I agree and it is a red flag, but I would still apply if the location and dates were very attractive to us. I would require a video chat and photos prior to accepting the sit and ask many questions. On a positive note, there is probably less competition for these sits. Some people are really uncomfortable putting pictures of their house on the internet, especially when they are also advertising that they will be out of town at the time.

2 Likes

Hi everyone there are owners who really don’t know how to create a good listing, what images to include and we are working to improve the help for them and to give guidance with what images they should include. For the experienced member both sitter and owner they have learnt over time what works, I know my profile for instance has been a 10 year work in progress, with many changes both to copy and images.

We are aware and we are in the process of helping owners create the very best listing for their success and for the site.

Great subject by the way

How to choose the perfect pictures for your owner listing | TrustedHousesitters.com

4 Likes

I messaged an owner to ask if she had any photos of the annex the sitter would be in as I get claustrophobic in small places especially if I’m sharing with 2 dogs & 2 cats .
Her reply was that TH only allowed her to post 2 photos ( of course I know this is untrue) so will not be applying for the sit.
I had to message her as if I was applying for the sit and I think it would be great if there was a way to just ask questions without having to actually apply.
I love that we have this app to talk amongst other pet sitters
TH is the best :heart_eyes::dog::cat::cow::pig_nose::ram:

2 Likes

Petermac
Have you ever thought of writing a book on your adventures
Taking in to account the cities ,you have stayed in .
Think it would be very interesting

2 Likes

Hello, same situation for me - difficulty in loading my profile (even had Telstra help me do it) only loaded 2 photos??? I had lots but the platform only allowed 2. S t r a n g e. When trying to contact TH, it just plays recorded message.

1 Like

Welcome :wave: Irene1

1 Like

Hi @irene1 welcome to our forum community, I’m sorry you are having difficulties with loading photos and connecting with Membership Services I will get a member of the team to connect with you, they will be back on line via Live Chat Sunday at 8.00 am BST and you can email 24 hours support@trustedhousesitters.com

Thank you for joining the forum and being part of our community … enjoy connecting with other members you’ll find them helpful and supportive.

Angela & The Team

Oh, thank you - yes, my requested sit is looming up close now & no replies (posted 2 months ago). Iam a bit of a technophobe hence having Telstra Customer Service face-to-face to assisting me when posting. BTW, our mobile network is down - Telstra and Vodaphone over past 24 hours, so not sure when it back operating properly. Iam in desperate need for house/dog sitter. TIA

1 Like

I had many photos to load but THS only allow 2.

1 Like

Hi @irene1 the photo allowance for both listing and sitter profiles is a max of 12 …

Yer, don’t know either but have had email from Admin & hoping to get call soon to sort it out.

1 Like

I agree that the profile photo of the owners could be bigger as they certainly see us.

That’s great to know, Angela-Community Manager.

HI @temba welcome to our community forum it’s great to have you join … where are you at the moment? We look forward to getting to know you better and share in your THS journey.

Enjoy connecting with other members and welcome again.

Angela and the Team

I’m in Australia, Angela. Thank you for your welcome to the community forum.

1 Like

I like to see inside the house, bedrooms bathroom lounge area so I can check out the size of the tv and how comfy the couches look. The kitchen to make sure it’s clean & tidy and the back garden.
I of course like to see the pets but I photo of each pet is sufficient.
I would really like to see a proper photo of the home Owners too.

1 Like