Does the 1st photo grab your attention?

Whilst scrolling through new house/pet listings, I noticed that a HO had presented their toilet as their 1st photo! It certainly caught my attention but a toilet isn’t high on my priority list as I consider it as fundamental as the front door.
I’m sure the HO didn’t realise this was going to be the 1st picture but it made me wonder is it the property or the pet which grabs your attention?

1 Like

Hi @Home it’s a very good point that you make. Personally we prefer to see pet photos as the first photo but if not then a photo of the property. As you say, certainly not a photo of the toilet or sofa or suchlike.

1 Like

Was the lid open? I hate that.

6 Likes

Happy Sunday
Just had a scroll through some new house/ pet listings and came across a listing where the first picture was of a toilet (with the seat up!).
It’s the outside of the house which draws me in followed by cute pet pictures. What draws you in?

2 Likes

LOL. Yes, some listings are unintentionally odd. I often wonder what the intention was.

Some HOs also scramble their listings with what appears to be an outdated headline and/or location. Like I read one yesterday that I couldn’t make heads or tails of. It seemed as if the HO had moved, but the description included a mix of info from two locations. It got me thinking of teleportation — now that’s a sit I’d want to do!

I’m usually drawn to photos of cute pets and unusual-looking locations. Some, I’d love to meet the pets without doing the sit!

3 Likes

I’ve seen a few of those too. Or a very standard shower in an apartment. I’d much rather see the pet :slight_smile:

I look at the sits as it I was choosing a place to stay for myself. So I like to see a photo of the house first, the inside and pets of course. I want to see a photo of where I would sleep and any outside space. I don’t apply for places that look untidy, having done a couple of homes that were not particularly clean. I have looked after some very beautiful houses with lovely pets and owners that have become friends

3 Likes

Like @Chrissy I also like to see the home first . Pets maybe super cute but if the home is dirty, untidy or cluttered it’s not for me as I would find that stressful .

So I like to see something about the home that shows its character - maybe the garden, the pool , the cozy sitting room with fireplace, a comfortable spacious guest bedroom . If it’s an interesting or historic building then an outside shot is great. However there are too many first photos that show only the front door - just the same as all the rest in the same street and telling me nothing about the character of the property.

4 Likes

In relation to the present sit I’m on, it was definitely the first photo that grabbed my attention - an amazing 16th century black and white house in the right location with two gorgeous cats for company. And I’m loving every moment of it!

12 Likes

Sounds lovely @temba … enjoy every minute of it!
:cat::blush:

1 Like

Thanks @Samox24, I’m making the most of being its temporary custodian.

I would expect pics of the animals first but, failing that, one pic of the outside of the house followed by the animals. So often I’ve had to scroll through lots of pics of close ups of the shower, a kettle, doormat etc before getting to the pets. Quite funny really

2 Likes

I like to see a picture of the whole house first, then inside, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, living areas/garden etc then the animals- 1 or 2 clear pics of each- not loads!
However lovely the pets are if the home is too cluttered, dirty, messy, small etc I won’t apply anyway.

9 Likes

If possible, please drop membership services the url of those listing, as most times the owners are unaware or don’t know how to move their photos around. Support@trustedhousesitters.com Much appreciated.

I agree that good photos of home and pets make a listing appealing.

2 Likes

it’s the pet first for me. If the pet has the awww factor I’m hooked straight away.
Then its the house then the location.
Sometimes it’s the location then the house.

1 Like

I agree - either a pic of the whole house first or a pic of the cat(s). As you can guess, I am only looking at cat sits :heart_eyes: But tbh as I don’t have a car, the location and whether it is accessible by public transport is very important to me, however adorable the cats look or how great the house looks.

Homes that look messy or untidy are a real turn-off for me. If I see pics like that, I will not apply.

Ohmygosh! For me, it is one-thousand percent the home photos that make the difference to me!! Because I will be living, working, sleeping, eating in that space - if I can tell by the quality and care of the home pics that the Owner really took time and considers their space lovely - it comes through and it definitely makes or breaks my Yes vs. No to even consider applying. It’s always the Home pics for me.

It’s assumed the pets will be there - I mostly apply to Cat sits, and LOVE cats! I am sure I will LOVE any cat, so what they look like will not make or break my decision to apply.

It’s always the question - Would I LOVE to LIVE here, in this space for 2 weeks, etc?

I understand not fully realizing how the ordering happens or switching a cover photo, so I do swipe through to see what’s consistent - are the spaces tidy, bright and well kept? Is there a ton of clutter, dishes in the sink in the background, etc? To me - that shows that they keep their house that way (which is totally fine) but I would rather not live there.

I’m also mindful however of realtor photos, which can seem obvious too, and would ask to see up to date home pics.

Either way, I always ask for a video tour of the home on the call & am very direct with - I only sit in tidy, very clean (also non-smoking) homes and I need to confirm that your home matches the photos. So far, I’ve had 3 great matches since I joined in May!

It is a helpful filter to know your standards well and be clear with them!

2 Likes

I literally just saw a sit listing with the first photo showing the toilet with lid up. Yuck! Didn’t even bother looking at it and just scrolled right on past even though it’s in an area I’m interested in. The house & location is what attracts me first.

3 Likes

@Crookie , the HO probably don’t realize this is their first photo. You would be doing them a favor by forwarding their listing to Membership Services of one of the moderators.

6 Likes

@mars email sent!

3 Likes