What’s your worst experience with the word “rustic” when it comes to a HOs description of their house?

We have sat in a few properties that were described as “rustic” most were ok(ish) but wondered about those that weren’t.

3 Likes

Great word, It can mean anything! Usually associated with rural properties, countryside etc. An old house could be absolutely splendid and ‘rustic’ and a pleasure to live in or visit. On the other hand it could be virtually unliveable and near derelict!! A lot of ‘licence’ is required when describing a property as ‘Rustic’! Personally I would tend to avoid such properties, then again I’m a ‘comfort’ person!!!

2 Likes

100% agree with you

I like rustic when it comes to bread but for house sitting, rustic seems to translate as rough around the edges. Sitter take heed :joy::raised_hands:t3:

3 Likes

Maybe not rustic (then I think leaking roofs!), more “artistic” or “bohemian”. It was not on THS, it was Warmshowers. And they had not counted on having guests. But this place was cluttered! It was a bit difficult to find a place to put one’s feet without stepping on a project.

Anyway, it was all made up for by being hosted by two lovely house-sitting daughters, who were themselves not really fond of how their parents had things.

1 Like

I joked with my husband that anything crappy could easily be marketed as “rustic.” I’d avoid stuff labeled that way, sits or otherwise. “Deconstructed” is another such word, like when it comes to some food at restaurants. Me, I want my orders fully constructed, LOL.

3 Likes

lol. The worst meal (Michelin starred) we had was when the waiter said “let me introduce you to your entree”

" let me introduce you my to your entrée"! Are you sure you were were fluent enough to understand what was being said? It’s not easy and I have lived in France for 23 years!

1 Like

lol. The was in Australia.

I did a sit abroad in a rustic property (a converted barn) that when I arrived had no working shower or bath. It was during high temperatures so the owner suggested using a hose pipe or walking to the nearest beach.
Ever since I’ve been careful of the words rustic and basic. Not looking for a mansion on every sit but having a working shower is a must…I’m a few decades old to be washing in a local ditch now!

According to the Oxford English Dictionary (my friend for spelling and meaning of words)

rustic, adj. & n.

Of, relating to, or characteristic of the countryside (as opposed to the town); rural.

Using that definition I have sat in many “rustic” properties. In fact, “rustic” properties are my favourite kind.

Plenty of cabins in Alaska are rustic. What that means is that it’s a dry cabin with an outhouse and either some rudimentary shower set up or the knowledge that you’ll be going somewhere else to take a shower.

Some of them are in stunningly beautiful locations.

I’d consider them, and expect it to be a bit like camping.

Love it! Also explains it!!!

I’m not into sits in rural areas, but have seen plenty of listings where homes look suburban and/or updated, even though they’re in the countryside. If I were going to a rural location, I’d look for those, because they’re the best of both worlds to me — modern conveniences and newish builds in country settings. I don’t see why staying in the countryside should mean you have to put up with decrepit or nonexistent fixtures or such, if you’re going to house and pet sit. But to each their own, of course. Some people like camping or roughing it, or at least don’t mind.

In Australia, a “rustic” property usually means it’s pretty rough around the edges and lacking some basic services like electricity or running water. Any sit described as “rustic” is a hard pass for us.

Aw, c’mon!!! According to Ziggy you are all ‘rufty tufty’ down there! Wresting crocodiles and having boxing matches with kangaroos and sweeping out funnel web spiders!!! What’s a shack with no running water?

lol, ah, it’s very open to interpretation on the part of the HO, what they think “rustic”
Could be
a large old rural property that’s a bit wobbly around the edges, basically clean and tidy
a farmhouse rural property that means all sorts gets walked in by the Dogs, Cats and Humans, it’s in need of a good hoover and mop, however they’d have to do it twice a day, so just gave up, lol.
a house that’s in need of repairs, so there’s a leak here or there, the field mice come in for undisturbed shelter along with any other wildlife that can gain entry, it’s going to be cold so bring a layers.

We have had all these… lol.

Ask questions and for photo’s if you are thinking about it.

Happy sitting.

@Ken wrestling crocodiles and spiders, no problem. No running water, no thank you! :rofl: