When to pursue alternative to TH?

We’ve been very happy with the 5 sitters found through TH. They all have been attentive and taken great care of our dog and our property. We thought we had a sitter arranged for an upcoming trip arranged, but just learned they will not be able to help us out.

We leave in less than two weeks. I’ve “boosted” the dates on TH website, but have no applicants.

When would you decide to book with Rover or search out (ick!) boarding for our pet?

Interested in your experiences and advice!

Thanks, Geoff

Personally, I like to have a backup plan just in case regardless, but it’s so dependent on your comfort level with risk and last minute bookings, your location can come into place, etc.

We’re in a major and popular city so at 2 weeks, I would not be overly worried about finding a sitter, but I wouldn’t be able to judge that for you and your situation.

Were there others that were strong candidates that you rejected who you could reach out to? anyone have your listing favourited that you can drop a note to? have you tried reach out to local HSs who are nearby that may be looking for review opportunities?

1 Like

I can’t answer when you should pursue an alternative website but you have been given good advice already. I’ve had a quick look at your listing and love the pics of Penny. There is however no pic of the bathroom the sitter will be using and I wonder if the bed is a proper bed or bed settee.
There is no mention of the time of Penny’s walks, how often or length. Is she good off leash? How is she with other dogs, people, children? Also, very important, how long can she be left at home after being walked? These are important things sitters need to know to make a decision & might just scroll by if not included.

1 Like

I also can get last minute sitters as I’m in a major city.

I’d try reposting and see what happens. You could also contact previous sitters if any are passing through. I wouldn’t take a THS with any red flags. You could begin to explore backups including Rover, but honestly, I’d look for friend recommendations. If dogs, I would consider licensed kennels as some dogs frankly enjoy them.

1 Like

Hello @gardenwithab
I have not looked at the listing but @Smiley is right on in details.

You can always post the sit here when 7 days out. I believe they tend to get filled.

Good luck

2 Likes

Tomorrow I will start a sit that was posted on Sunday evening. Accepted and confirmed within 24 hours. Near Oslo.

Last year I took a sit where their booked sitter had cancelled because of covid. That started after only half a week.

As a sitter, I am not too keen on applying far into the future. Things can happen, on my side and on their side.

The only other dates for me right now are a return sit in the summer but that is not set in THS stone. For now, we are both fine with dates that we agreed on Whatsapp.

Thanks for your comments, I’ll stay positive!

Thanks, good advice, I’ll continue to research options.

Great advice, we’re taking more pics and adding more information as you recommended. Very helpful!

Thanks for your note, guess we were getting a little nervous, but we are checking out alternatives just in case. Appreciate you writing!

Can you offer the use of a car?

We live in a very walkable neighborhood with transit available. Grocery stores, restaurants and other retail offerings are nearby. Our cars are not available. Thanks for the question!