Where have all the sitters gone to?

Hi @anon27523372 and congratulations. As you are new to THS, I’ll just mention that there is a help button along the top of the homepage on the website. I often type my question there and a list of possible answers are displayed. I find it really helpful. I just did that for your question, and here’s the answer:

How do I leave feedback for an owner

1 Like

I can only answer for myelf in ‘where have all the sitters gone’. During the covid pandemic I decided to only go where I could self drive to…usually within a short distance initially to an 8 hour drive max. So for me that meant the US southeast. And places where I would be happy if I would have fewer “outings”. I was initially not willing to fly but have in the past month have reinstated flying. I was more careful about choosing a site (Tourism was not high on the list as I knew I wasn’t going to being sightseeing much due to closures.) I was more particular about choosing a home where I could be happy there as excursions would be limited. So homes with gardens and pretty places to walk “my” doggies and locations became important. Places where I could easily walk/hike/ wander on a beach/kayak on a lake alone or with “my” pets all became more appealing. Having good TV/news and nearby medical care became something I “needed” for the first time. I almost always wanted a dog for company as I knew I would likely not being interacting with the neighbors as much. As things are opening up I can relax some of those personal guidelines now. Hopefully as I start to look at fall/winter I can hope to expand my travels. I joined to actually visit places I have not been (Aus and NZ) and revisit some places dear to my heart. UK Lake District especially /Italy/France. I have been blessed to remain close to full time sitting in the US the last couple of years and remain happy and healthy throughout. But I know many sitters who cut way back and are just now getting back into sitting. I would try to be sure your profile includes what is and is not available to do now safely in your area, and perhaps add a line or two about how much/if your area has reopened fully and what if any restrictions remain. Show clear photos of your home, garden and pets. Many of my own friends are still doing food deliveries so nice to know if that is available. Even though I am with my pets almost exclusively it is lovely to know if I can also visit a garden or museum now. I do know that many sitters did not feel able to travel during the height of Covid. Hopefully you will find now that there are more sitters to chose from as the world reopens!!

9 Likes

@Pommiegran Speaking as a pet sitter, I don’t believe that pet sitters have gone anywhere. There could been many factors that cause this perception: Many sitters themselves may want to travel and/or have plans outside of TrustedHousesitters; many may just not be available for your dates, or simply, they may not think that they are a fit for your listing. Have you tried reaching out locally to pet sitters to inquire if they would be interested in pet sitting for you? If not, I would suggest browsing locals and if you see someone that may be a fit, send them an invite along with a personal message.

@peach I am U.S. based and I agree that I only go where I can self-drive to, also with approximately an 8-hour max drive. Eventually I would like to begin flying again and explore more of the West Coast region and other states I have not yet visited. Although I keep looking at places that I would love to visit, I have not reached a comfort level for flying yet…so, I will continue to select places within my driving range.

Though you joined THS to visit places you had never been, I joined simply to help heal a broken heart of losing my bestie dog Rocko. Now that some time has passed, soon I hope to visit those places that I have never been and spending time with the pet(s) will just be an added blessing.

9 Likes

Hi @Pommiegran I’ve looked at your listing and have some suggestions. I would add photos of the kitchen and the bathroom the sitter(s) will use. You will read on the forum that most sitters want to see the living areas they will use.

You have shown that a car is needed, which will cause some sitters to immediately discount your listing. However, in your description you mention that within a few minutes walk they can access a range of shops and a pub in the village. For a 9-day sit such as yours, sitters may be content without a vehicle. Perhaps if your concern is how sitters will reach your home, you might offer to pick up and return from a public transit stop and do a quick grocery shop with them at the start.

If your travel plans are leaving early or returning late in the day, you should mention whether you are willing to have sitters arrive the day before and leave the day after, as this is also important to many sitters.

If you have a standard or premium membership, keep in mind that you can boost your listing once, which will move it to the start of the listings.

4 Likes

I too joined after a series of losses. My mom, my best friend, my beloved dog. I found peace, joy, and healing through the many places and friends (human and furry) that THS has brought me. I wish you the same peace and joy I have found.

13 Likes

Thank you for your advice: I will amend the listing!

4 Likes

I’d say yes if I lived in the same country lol

1 Like

Hi Nadine

Sorry to hear you are not receiving the applications you expected this time.

You have received feedback from other sitters but my take on it is there will be even fewer sitters available after tomorrow due to the deadline for background verification checks. Just a snapshot of my local aeea shows 125 sitters and 24 of those do not have the full verification so their accounts will be inactive from tomorrow. They will be able to carry out confirmed sits but not be able to apply for new ones.

Some members will be aware of it through the forum but I am sure it will still come as a surprise to some of them who are not on the website on a regular basis.

On a personal note I have been a regular sitter for nine years and am definitely getting more ‘picky’ about the sits I apply for and accept. I also have a few sits I return to each year which leaves less time available for new sits.

You ask if there is anything we can recommend.
I can only suggest you re-visit your profile (I haven’t seen it) and ensure there are clear photos of the pet(s) and of the areas the sitter will use along with a brief outline of the pet’s routine such as exercise, meds, sleeping arrangements etc.

I hope this helps in some way and that you have already found some lovely sitters.

Best Wishes

7 Likes

Thank you for your feedback. Actually after reading comments on this forum, and following some good pieces of advice, I did adjust our profile and received more applicants! It worked well because we conducted a few interviews and have now selected our cat sitters for our dates. We would really like to get regular sitters because it makes it easier for the handover and the cats get used to the same persons.
Have a lovely day,
Best
Nadine.

16 Likes

That’s great news. Well done!

Hi @PUECH that’s excellent news and thank you to everyone who helped our community member to a successful conclusion … kitty sitter in situ!!

“Team work makes the dream work” :star_struck: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Wow, my sit for 3 weeks, mid-April through the first week of May, has been posted for a week, and, in contrast to past sits when I have been deluged with applicants within 24 hours, I am coming up dry. I boosted my listing and have reached out to quite a few people who had saved my sit. Everyone has been very kind, but so far, I haven’t found anyone. I guess this is just a new world, post Covid, but I need a little encouragement and certainly any advice if there are things I haven’t tried yet.

1 Like

Like you, in the past I’ve had lots of response to requests for sitters but this time I’ve given up and have just booked my pets into cattery/kennels (not something I relished doing). I posted the sit for mid-May a few weeks ago and haven’t had one reply. After a week or so I invited various local sitters but none could say yes. After several years I’m now cancelling my subscription auto renewal - I think THS has got too big for itself!

2 Likes

That’s what I was worrying, just too many sits, too few sitters. Nothing has changed about my details! THS does need to pay attention to the balance or this doesn’t work. I’ll wait a little longer and do so hope I can find someone here because I love this exchange.

3 Likes

Or sits in the wrong places.
We are travelling in US, Canada and Mexico with little flurries into South America for the next three years. The past few years it’s been the UK. To be honest we are wondering if we have made the correct decision. There are so many great looking sits being listed for all the places we love to visit in the UK but not as many for the areas we want to see in eastern US and Canada. We are committed to go now but……

1 Like

Hi Pommiegran - I just took a peek at your listing to see if there was anything that would give me pause as a sitter.

At the bottom, you mention that Meg will need to be walked a few times a day, and then in parenthesis you put usually 50-90 minutes. Is that per walk or total in a day? Because an hour+ at a time is a huge difference from 20-30 minutes a few times a day, totaling 60-90 minutes.

Though we are pretty active sitters, committing to walking a dog multiple hours a day would make us second guess whether we sit there. If that isn’t the requirement, it could be worth clarifying.

5 Likes

As a sitter and full-time traveler, I am not interested in applying for sits scheduled 2-3 months in advance no matter how attractive they are even at the best of times. Ideally, I would love to apply for my next sit during the current one - iow, the last-minute sit.

HO:s, on the other hand, like to secure sitters a long time in advance. Much too long. The idea of a last-minute sit makes them panic. Here (IMHO) lies the conflict.

In addition, we are not at the best of times. On the contrary, the times are very insecure. We may have a new lockdown or even war at any given moment. Many people are scared to travel. Planning for months ahead is simply not feasible right now.

I have also noticed that sits planned “well in advance” receive no applications. The applications begin to drop in once the dates draw nearer to being last minute.

Perhaps this is our new reality to which both sitters and HO:s need to adapt :wink:

4 Likes

Hopefully, you will get responses soon. Because your sit is over Easter break, many sitters are already committed for this time. I did not see any pictures of your guest bedroom, only the master. Having pictures of a welcoming guest space may help you attract sitters. It looks like a very nice home, location and sweet kitty. Good luck in your search!

1 Like

I don’t agree.
I have posted my listing for 3 weeks in July/August about 6 weeks ago, which was really early and I have more than 10 applications for it. The first ones were sent 1-2 days after posting and there are still more coming in.
However I am going to decide tomorrow or, if the video call we scheduled, isn’t positive, within the next days. I don’t want to keep anybody on hold and when things change they change anyway, no matter if the sit was confirmed early or last minute.

For a sitter it’s easy to say wait with posting. You don’t have problems finding a caretaker for the pets. I would never book a flight without knowing what to do with my cats. The twice a day popping in neighbors were the reason why I joined THS, because it didn’t work and the cats weren’t well.

12 Likes

Perhaps if you had posted earlier? It doesn’t help now, I know, but I was looking for a sit like yours, New England, right time frame, sounds lovely, but I had to decide by March 16th. Didn’t see your sit by then. I’m scheduling a month and a half out. Sorry.