Where have all the sitters gone to?

I suggest adding more about exactly where Boring is and what’s around it and how far it is from the heart of Portland, the airport, wine country, coast etc. I know Portland fairly well, and I can’t place it.

Providing a car would be ideal. Outside of THS, there are FB neighborhood groups where people list pet sits (paid or not). A friend who lives in Bend does pet sitting exchanges with people at their homes.

Hi, thanks for advice, unfortunately I cannot leave my car as we use it to tow our caravan. And for other holidays I’m not sure how this work with insurance.
Re the children advice I really don’t want to budge on my no kids policy. I have a very large pond with a steep drop and no barriers, there is no way of making it safe .

Hi Chantelle,
I would add how long Kowa can be left alone, as a few hours isn’t really specific enough. As you are a 30 minute drive to and from Portland sitters wil want to know they do have time to explore sometimes.
I’d also mention what size the guest bed is in your listing (double, queen, etc) as it can be difficult to judge it photos.

Finally, I wouldn’t be too discouraged. We just booked our next sit (for start date May 27th) yesterday. The sit we’re currently on now we booked on the 10th and it started on the 12th. Not ideal, but this is the last minute world we live in now!

1 Like

Thanks for your response. I just confirmed a sitter and I’m so stoked!

6 Likes

Hi @Chantelle that’s brilliant news, congratulations and thank you for the update. Safe and happy travels … where are you going?

2 Likes

@Chantelle Yeah :clap: :clap: :clap: Thank you for considering the many suggestions you’ve received from forum members. I love seeing these success stories. I have no doubt my suggestion of showcasing those gorgeous chickens did the trick. :wink:

5 Likes

We are going to Yellowstone National Park :relaxed:

1 Like

Hello,
I have been finding sitters on TH for a couple of years. I am shocked to see I have had no response for my need of a sitter in June. I live in Redwood City, Ca. I have read sitters are complaining of not being invited to sit. I believe they must be out there somewhere.
I have heard a comment this site is getting “too popular”.Anyway if you should see this <I would love to connect with you. I know the dates are close.
Thanks,
Kathleen Sullivan

2 Likes

Hi @Babysmom I have to respond to your post, even though I’m not available, as you have the same name (first & last) as my mother. Her middle name was Mary, so if yours is too that would be too spooky. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, times have changed over the past two years, and will likely continue to shift and we all - sitters and homeowners - are constantly needing to adjust and be more flexible. I now talk about a Plan A and Plan B, for example, but there are still lots of successful sits being arranged. You may want to take a look at the following post, and especially review Angela’s 10 tips.

Sitter/owner ratios

I’ve looked at your listing and suggest you add photos of the kitchen and bathroom the sitters will be using. You will read on the forum that sitters want to see the areas they will be using.

Thank you for your response. No my middle name isn’t Mary😁
I appreciate your comments. When I contacted TH they also said more pix. I have posted pix of my house , kitchen, bedroom. So I am surprised to get that comment. Anyway, I shall persevere.
Thanks so much!
Kathleen

1 Like

Quick question to pet owners. If your listing isn’t getting any response and the dates are easily transferable, would you consider shifting them for a sitter who looks ideal but can’t do your original dates?
There are a few sits I’ve been looking at (mostly weekends or short sits) that look fantastic. The areas are exactly where we want to be but the dates are not quite right, maybe a week to 10 days out. I don’t know if it’s worth applying and explaining.
In the past, I’ve messaged pet owners to say sorry we can’t do your dates this time but definitely would be interested if your going away in the autumn. And I’ve had some very positive replies.

2 Likes

I would message them. Especially if they have few applicants. This happened with my recent sit. He’d originally planned to leave the day another sit I was already committed to was ending. So I messaged asking if he could delay and he was able to push it by 2 days so I had time to get there. It never hurts to ask.

I’m finding the same - not one response and in all the years have been using THS I usually get loads. Starting to worry now!

1 Like

Make sure you add your listing like to your forum profiles and read through the threads to find out what sitters are looking for in a listing and how to make your sit more enticing.

Hi @desousaemma We just had a success story today from someone who had forum members review their listing and they tweaked theirs and success! I’ll add some links that may help you.

How to add your listing to your forum username/profile

Sitter/owner ratios - includes Angela’s 10 helpful tips

Top tips that keep being repeated on the forum by sitters:

• make sure you have clear photos of the living areas the sitter will be using - living room, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen
  • only tag ‘sitters need a car’ if it’s essential, rather than ideal
  • give options for public transit and services (Uber, grocery deliveries) so they can decide if they can be without a car
  • set clear details (time/distance) on nearest services/shops
  • set clear details of how often (time/distance) pets are walked
  • set clear details on how long a pet can be left alone

Forum members are happy to give constructive feedback to help you succeed - after all, it’s in their best interests too! :smiley:

Francine,
Voluntary Forum Moderator

6 Likes

Just flagging this again.

It’s now hugely expensive to hire a car in the UK, so if you are open to sharing your car with a sitter it would be worth mentioning this upfront in your listing as this may well be a competing advantage.

As Australian sitters retuning to housesitting in Europe we will mainly be applying for sits that offer a car, or can be done without one.

3 Likes

Great suggestion.

Being a sitter involves lots of juggling dates and travel. It would be worth mentioning in the headline of your listing if your dates are flexible.

So many listing headlines say “Sitter needed” which is a waste of space. A “Flexible dates” headline would attract more sitters looking to fill a ‘gap’. Even if the dates are only flexible by a day or two, it might make all the difference.

As an international sitter, unable to to return home ‘gaps’ are expensive as they involve paid accomodation. I often search around the dates I have to see if listings look like they might be flexible so we can avoid a gap.

Also, as sitters we are always looking for dates that start on a Monday. Most people who work seem to try and cover two weekends which leaves a sitter with a Monday - Thursday gap. So if you’re flexible try listing with this in mind. Start your listing on a Monday or Tuesday…

Flexibility is key. When I was a nomad (pre-pandemic), on a few occasions, a HO would ask me after the fact to show up on a Monday. They’d booked their less expensive Tuesday flights, leaving me to pay more to arrive on Sunday or Monday.

So, it depends. Now I’d definitely prefer to start on a weekend b/c I work full-time and need to set up and not be “training.”

1 Like

Agree. I prefer to start on a saturday or sunday when possible because I have to work during the week and would rather not have to shuffle that around the HO showing me the lay of the land.

2 Likes

You have a lot of past sitters that haven’t given feedback which might be a red flag to potential sitters.