Where have all the sitters gone to?

I am trying to find a sitter for my 8 year old rescue, Trigger and have had absolutely no interest. I am starting to worry as this holiday has been booked and rebooked for 3 years now and i am on the verge of having to cancel again as i have no one to watch my dog.

What can i do to gain interest in my sit?

1 Like

Your sit is almost 2 months away, so I wouldn’t panic yet. many sitters make last0minute plans.

Add brighter photos of the house, with clear photos of the areas the sitter will use. Delete blurry dog photos. Get a good photo of the dog and use that as the first photo.

Good luck!

Thanks. Will try to get some more pictures tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Hi @Amymcgivern I took a look at your listing. Seeing Trigger as the key photo pulls at the heart strings. It made me smile, as though he was already sad that you might be leaving.

You have so many positive features that are often promoted here: easy access to public transport and the motorway, family friendly, use of bikes, and few demands in your dog’s routine. It’s stellar for attracting so many sitters, so hopefully it’s just that it’s still a couple of months away that’s the delay factor. I realize that’s stressful for you, as you’d like to get everything organized, but hopefully all will work out for you. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I am trying to find a sitter for my 8 year old rescue, Trigger and have had absolutely no interest. I am starting to worry as this holiday has been booked and rebooked for 3 years now and i am on the verge of having to cancel again as i have no one to watch my dog.

What can i do to gain interest in my sit?

Hi my name is Yvonne,
I booked a holiday to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary after securing a sitter, they unfortunately notified us recently that they are unable to sit. I have reached out to dozens of sitters to no avail.
Please can someone offer advice on our i attract a sitter for my 2 dogs and bungalow in Norfolk,

I am having exactly the same problem for my July holiday. Starting to panic!

1 Like

If you include a link to your posting in the forum profile, we can make suggestions. There are lost of posts that explain how HOs can improve their listings - and the changes often work!

@Eve and @Amymcgivern welcome to the forum.

@Eve congratulations on 50 years of marriage. What a great achievement. :heart_eyes:

@Amymcgivern I see that you’ve added your link.

@Eve I’m going to ask @Angela-HeadOfCommunity to fix yours when she comes online as it’s not connecting correctly.

I’ll also add a link to a post that includes 10 of Angela’s tips for success

Francine,
Voluntary Forum Moderator

2 Likes

Hi Yvonne, Congratulations on 50 years of marriage … what a wonderful celebration.

I have added the listing link to your profile you have a lovely home, two adorable dogs and Norfolk is a lovely county (I used to live in Norwich) plus there’s a car included and your dates are not until September … our community are really helpful with their advice and feedback also.

Welcome to our community forum.

Thank you Francine, appreciated

Your sit isn’t until September, so no reason to panic yet. One trick that you can do to get additional views on your sit is, if you have zero applicants, delete the sit and recreate it. This will move it to the top of the search results for a day. Many sitters only look at the “New” sits that come in everyday.

1 Like

Thanks Brad,

I will give that a try in few days as i am now waiting on 3 possible sitters who have shown an interest

Thank you Angela

1 Like

Including a car is a huge attraction, so I would put that in your headline. Only the first few words show on a computer (more on the mobile app), so this are important. You could start with “Car included, easy senior dogs near Norwich”.

Also add photos of the sitters bedroom and bathroom.

Good luck

1 Like

Thanks lassie,
i will look at changing my headline. In regard to photographs of sitters bedroom and bathroom, i will have to hold off posting these for a little while as the bedroom is being redecorated including new bed, wardrobes and carpet and the bathroom has been gutted awaiting a refit

1 Like

Hi! I’m fairly new to TH but did have awesome luck with my first experience.
It was last min after 3 failed attempts booking Rover sitters that flaked after accepting the sit.
Now we’re ready to travel again and initially only had one applicant so far, but turned him down because I wasn’t comfortable with his friend from elsewhere (who wasn’t family/partner and not on the site) staying in our home. Just a strange gut feeling.

Now we’re two weeks out from our travel date and the only other applicant that I had a call with changed their plans.
I’ve been searching for sitters, but everyone listed in Chicago lives in Chicago.
Is there a better way to find people who want to visit here? It seems odd that sitters have their hometown listed if they don’t want to sit in that location.

Sidenote: if anyone has advice on our listing, it would be greatly appreciated. Link in my profile.

I would use the second-last photo as the primary one in your listing. That will attract attention more than the house photo.

I don’t need such explicit details about feeding and other pet quirks in the listing. It is a lot to read through and makes the dog seem more work than he is. He actually seems very easy. If there is something that might deter a sitter (puppy needs a diaper, for example), put that in there, but instructions re amounts of food can wait until you confirm a sitter. Most sitters just want to know how long the walks should be, how long the dog can be left alone, and approx feeding times when perusing listings.

You could change your headline, focusing on the first 4-5 words which will show in a thumbnail. For example “easy senior dog in Chicago suburb”.

Good luck

1 Like

Issues related to the sitter’s location and calendar availability come up a lot. You can search the forum for explanations. Short version–please do not blame sitters.

You might consider posting on local FB groups and including a link to your THS profile.

1 Like

Hi @pergamino You’ve received excellent advice from @Lassie. Improving your listing will increase the chances of arranging a successful match.

I would encourage you to take some time to seek out local sitters, given you have a relatively short sit listed. When you contact them, perhaps mention that you are flexible with your dates. It’s acceptable to reach out to multiple sitters at the same time. If you book someone, just notify the others that you have confirmed a sit.

Locals who are most likely to agree to sit are those with references only, or just one or two sits. Check their calendars first to make sure they are not already booked for a THS sit. I’ll add an explanation for the various icons, with examples of what I’ve just mentioned.

2 Likes