Which one are you? Devonshire or Cornish?

The forever debated should it be cream first or jam first on a cream tea?

What is the difference between a Cornish and a Devon cream tea? The only actual difference between the two counties take on a cream tea is the order in which the jam and cream are placed on to the scone!

In Cornwall, the jam is smoothed on first, before being topped with a heaped spoonful of cream and in Devon the scones are topped with cream on the bottom followed by the jam. :yum:

The cream tea is a British institution that is loved everywhere in the UK, but perhaps no two counties love it more than Devon (or Devonshire) and Cornwall.
Arguments abound as to which location is the real home of the cream tea, with minor differences in each tea service. Regardless of which side youā€™re on, theyā€™re both a delicious way to spend an afternoon which Iā€™m sure you will agree! :grinning:

What is a cream tea?

A cream tea is a light meal consisting of scones, fruit jam, clotted cream, and a freshly-brewed pot of tea. Traditionally, the scone is served warm and, when possible, freshly-baked, and the cream is clotted rather than whipped. Strawberry jam is by far the most popular jam which is used. It is most commonly served in southwest England, where Devon and Cornwall are located, but can also be found throughout the country. It is often enjoyed in the afternoon but can be served anytime in between meals.

A cream tea should never be confused with the very old English custom of Afternoon Tea, which is more of a meal. Afternoon tea typically involves more than simply scones, with little finger sandwiches and other delicious savoury and sweet bites and desserts, and is eaten specifically after lunch and before dinner. Cream tea is a more relaxed and lighter tea break.

So the important question, which one are you?

2 Likes

I am both. I have ancestors from both Cornwall and Devon, heaps of both, and when I rest my eyes for a long, savouring glance at your dually-graced plate, I feel no need to choose. Two piled-high scones, each with their own regalia will be perfect for me and my genes. Thank you, Claire -
(ā€œCalifornian Caledonianā€ woman moving from Maui, Hawaii to Scotland, May 2023, with my cherished Assistance Dog, Tarkina!)

1 Like

Iā€™m American, but I love cream tea. Iā€™ve spent a lot of time in the UK and every time Iā€™m there I must have cream tea (as often as possible!). I prefer the Devonshire style - the jam goes on the top.

1 Like

I am partial to both!

1 Like

Iā€™m from the UK but not Devon or Cornwall. I enjoy a cream tea from time to time as does my younger son. My older son doesnā€™t like cream!
We both prefer Cornish style as we like to spread the jam so it covers the scone. Often you get a teeny little pot pf jam that would be impossible to spread is it were on top of the cream! So itā€™s a purely practical thing as Iā€™m sure both versions taste just as good!

4 Likes

@Debbie-L Haha yes a great answer! :joy:

2 Likes

Born in Devon, hate cream so neither for me thanks!

No jam, or cream, just the scone ā€¦ but cheese not plain, so I guess Iā€™m neither Devon or Cornwall but something in between?? ā€¦ :rofl:

1 Like

You keep doing this Sam. Anything to get me back over yonderā€¦
I will take one now and the other as take away for later.

1 Like

Devonshire for meā€¦it actually never occurred to me until I read this to put the jam first ā€¦guess Iā€™ll have to try it now to see which one I really am.

This must be the British equivalent of how one eats an Oreo? Cookie or cream first?

@Kelly ahh yes I think so :sweat_smile: ā€¦ itā€™s definitely cookie then cream or dunk in some milk for me! :yum:

1 Like

Iā€™m a connoisseur of cream teas (!!) both in the UK and Oz and itā€™s the Cornish way for me every time. Generally thatā€™s the way we do it in Oz too.

2 Likes

Egads! No comparison!

1 Like

Cornish. The jam slides off it put on top of the cream

Mind you, I wouldnā€™t turn down a scone done the Devon way :rofl:

3 Likes

Both appeal to me at the end of the day. Absolutely delish and now Iā€™m dreaming of one.

5 Likes

@Therese I can completely relate to that! :sweat_smile:

@Samox24 happy childhood memories as it was our Sunday treat from our grandparents to go for a cream tea - they favoured the Jam on first and heaps of cream piled high on top, so I have always stuck to that way :yum:

2 Likes

Ok now you guys have done it! I have to search out one of these here in townā€¦

5 Likes

Where are you now? Look for an English tea shop.
Here in Uruguay, nearly all of the people, the locals hail from Europe and the UK. The architecture is all European and there are many towns that are the original settlements that have a lot of traditional food, customs and of course street names. I am thrilled when I find European products.
We have British hospitals and Tienda Inglesa (English shop), Swiss, Spanish, Italianā€¦. Pricey but I love it.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in the US and I do believe we have a few shops close to home so I am going to be searching them out

2 Likes