Why are dogs always in a happy mood when they wake up in the morning?

Hello dedicated doggo fans :heart:

Have you ever wondered why dogs are so full of joy and energy in the morning?

I’m sure many of you have started the day with a bouncy dog, full of enthusiasm!

Just what is it that makes our canine companions such a joy in the mornings? Is it bonding time, are they thriving on routine, or are they simply excited for their morning meal? Or all of the above?

If you’re like me, and not a morning person, I often wonder if there’s something we can learn from them! :dog:

We’d love to hear from our members about their morning-happy dogs, so please share your thoughts and experiences with them (and morning dog photos) in the replies!

Jenny :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

She’s up! I’m finally gonna get to go pee!

11 Likes

@Marion And…Thank goodness she has stopped snoring! :grin:

7 Likes

BREAKFAST!!!

It’s by far the only thing in the world that could possibly compete for first place in my dog’s heart, vying with the main love of her life: dinner.

Honestly though I also think a big reason they’re so happy in the morning is because after breakfast and bathroom they can go straiiight back to sleep!

8 Likes

I’m currently looking after a very loving and sweet labrador. In the morning, he doesn’t wag his tail - the whole dog wags!!

11 Likes

That’s it!
I think it may have something to do with the length of their sleeping periods and ours. We tend to concentrate our sleep mainly in one long period (except Spaniards, we have siesta)and I think that’s too long for them. So they are really excited when they finally get our attention in the morning, a bit like when we get back home and they greet us excitedly. But, once they have our attention (a big fuss, breakfast and bathroom) then they can go back to sleep.

5 Likes

You beat me to it @Marion :laughing:

4 Likes

I house sat a standard poodle once who hated mornings. I had to coax him every morning to go out to pee. He was quite a character.

5 Likes

Oh dear, our dogs always go crazy in the morning. We had dogs that put 10 cuddly toys in their mouths at once and brought us excitedly, but also dogs that celebrated us frenetically every time we entered the room, even when we were only in the loo for a short time. I just love it, how could be in a bad mood with a dog around?

3 Likes

After sleeping soundly overnight, my almost 2 year old golden loves to do zoomies in the morning, followed by breakfast, then back to sleep :sleeping:

1 Like

The 16 yo Coton de Tulier I just sat wanted to sleep-in every morning. I’d get up, spend about 10-15 minutes doing things and Jacko was still in his be - watching me, but I’d have to coax him up.

1 Like

I’ve sat dogs that vary — some are morning critters, some not.

Our own dog likes to sleep in and is most energetic and playful in the evenings, though he loves to get pets and treats and go walking during the daytime, after sleeping in. In the morning, he’s often not in the mood for food or treats.

We observed his pattern from the start, when he joined us at about a year-old and for the past five+ years.

1 Like

We do a housesit with two Scottish Terriers. Finlay is a “morning dog”, bouncing down the stairs and greeting everyone excitedly. Charlie will not get out of bed until he hears the sound of his biscuits (kibble) hitting the bowl!

4 Likes