Why do some HO post so few photos?

@carpediem16 yes it does seem that it would be obvious to post internal pics, especially of the space a sitter would be using and needs to get a feel for, before applying but this is not always the case with all owners, for whatever reason.

It could be as simple as they don’t have them readily available not all owners take pictures of their homes, inside or out. Also for some it may be connected with privacy and there are those who feel their pets are the most important pictures to share, after all that is the main reason they come to the site and who isn’t attracted to a cute pet picture, especially in a community of animal lovers, they may also take it for granted that their homes are places sitters would enjoy.

To help owner members we created a blog post for guidance and Membership Services will contact any member who needs help or advice to enhance their listing with suitable images.

@Lassie all listings go through an approval process however those listing already on the site, where owners are adding dates and republishing, do not go through another approval process.

It’s always easy to rationalize what we believe to be obvious, however it’s not always that way for others which is one of the reasons we have our amazing Membership Services Team and now the forum, to help one another and ultimately improve everyone’s experience.

3 Likes

Good point. I tend to bypass those particular sits but the HO is really doing themselves a disservice and reducing their amount of potential sits. If only they knew.

2 Likes

I have to wonder as well. Today I saw a sit I was curious about (location was interesting) with about 8 photos of the dogs and zero of inside the home.
I get that the pets are the focus but feel that human comfort is also as important as animal care.

3 Likes

I’ve found this to be a very interesting discussion, especially as I am currently trying to find a sitter after the break that we have all had. I’ve been a member of TH for 7 years now and have no feedback on my profile as I’ve had no sitters from this site yet, but have had many from other places.

Anyway, I hadn’t thought to include photos of the bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. We are in a rural area with a wide variety of animals, and I have always thought that the location, the animals and the peace and quiet are the main reason people would want to do a sit here (it is certainly not a sit that suits everyone!). I tend to put up pics of the house exterior to show it’s true location, and the views from the house and garden. I’ve also included 2 interior photos of living space to give an idea of our style and the type of house, but it never crossed my mind to post a photo of more. With that in mind, I’ll look to take some photos of the bedroom, ensuite and kitchen in the next few days and upload them.

It does concern me though that this might become more like an airbnb sort of situation, where it is simply about the nicest house. While I would always want my sitters to be beyond comfortable and happy with their sit (and on another thread I have been told that the preparation I do for sitters is excellent), I would always want their priority to be my animals, and would not want that to get lost. I think a few HO on this thread have expressed that, and for most of us that is the key point, and a hugely emotional one. It’s hard to leave your loved animals in the care of a stranger, and so for HO it is important that the balance is struck too, just as it is important for the living space balance to be struck for sitters.

I read a comment above where a sitter referred to them doing a HO ‘a huge favour’ for sitting for them ‘for free’, and that disturbs me. I have always looked at this arrangement as mutually beneficial, with appreciation on both sides, and the fact that each side is getting something ‘in exchange’ I have always liked the community element of what TH set out to do, and would actually dislike it if someone came to sit for me with that attitude. I prefer to build up mutual respect and understanding, with a huge dash of kind honesty and questioning, before both sides agreed to an arrangement - one side to take care of animals and home for free, and the other to provide a different place to stay and enjoy for free.

6 Likes

@Angela_L So just my $.02 as someone who does this kind of product development for a living. We’ve struggled with similar issues on past projects - trying to get existing users to comply with new standards - and if you were my client, here are some suggestions for solutions that I’d make in order of least intrusive to most intrusive

1 - If the HO doesn’t have a minimum number of images, create a popup when they try to schedule new dates that asks them to add additional images. It’s a quick query to implement to display this message.

2 - same as #1, but make it a requirement so they cannot add new sit dates until they’ve added the requisite number of images. A bit more hard line but it’ll catch the people who are just closing the popup without actually reading it. A more mid-level approach between 1 and 2 would be for them to be able to ignore the popup in #1 x times before it then becomes a requirement.

3 - add functionality to categorize uploaded images with the suggested types. So when they upload an image, they would then categorize it with a preset list like Pet Pic, Living Room, Kitchen, Outside, Sitter Bedroom, Sitter Bathroom, etc. This might prompt them to upload more on-target images. You could also have a popup on profile save that prompts them to add any of the missing image categories. This would be the solution I would push for with my client as I’ve found that if you implement something like this that is more directed within the UI, people are more likely to do it vs just a block of text with recommendations that people will skim but potentially ignore/forget.

4 - Similar to 3 except make uploading the category specific images a requirement for going public with a listing. IMO this is too hard line and will alienate people who would prefer to do a video tour rather than posting images.

Real talk: most people aren’t going to read blog posts and emails. The more guidance you can provide directly in the UX/UI, the better the compliance will be. And it’ll save your staff time and effort.

I would also suggest adding a flagging option directly on listings. A lot of the posts in the forum contain suggestions to PM listings to your team for review. More real talk: most people aren’t going to realize that’s an option and of the people that do, many likely won’t be bothered, they’ll just move on to the next listing because the level of effort is more than many will want to deal with while just skimming listings.

Adding a flagging function directly on the listing and including common reporting options (no internal pictures, goes against TOS, etc.) and a free form “other” reason will make it much more likely that inappropriate/problematic listings are reported and it will also save your team time and effort as it will standardize the information you receive. You could even implement a “x flags and the listing is hidden until reviewed” functionality for the case of extreme problems.

I realize that your resources are limited, as they are with all businesses, so optimizing some of these processes might cost a little upfront for the dev time, but in the long run, the savings on time and effort with the CS team would likely be significant and there will be fewer problems over time as people will be complying from the start.

Anyway, hope this isn’t overstepping. This is just what I do and I tend to geek out on UX/UI and process optimization. :slight_smile:

@Ben-ProductManager tagging you at Angela’s request. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Great suggestions, @CreatureCuddler! The flagging function would also allow members to flag sits that violate other terms and conditions, such as non-residential sits or a third party being present during the sit. I recently noticed a listing where the HO wanted the sitter to care for the dog (I think) in the sitter’s home. I would have flagged the listing, if that would have been an option, but I didn’t want to take the time involved in reporting it.

5 Likes

Yep. The steps to report are just too cumbersome and most people won’t do it unless it’s super easy so a lot of things slip through. You have to make the process as easy as possible if you want it to really work.

Hi @Boodie,
I understand your concerns about sitters using your home as an Airbnb. I think (hope!) you’ll find that most sitters are doing it for the pets. Yes, there is the odd one or two that are using THS to have a free place to stay but really, a phone/video chat should weed them out.
If you go with your gut feeling about a sitter, you’ll likely have a positive experience!

4 Likes

@CreatureCuddler Thank you for sharing your expertise on this. Hopefully with the added investment that THS has obtained, they will see fit to invest some of that money into implementing some of these changes that would be of great benefit to us all.

4 Likes

Hi @CreatureCuddler thank you for your 2 cents worth … far more valuable I think,I have changed the category of this thread as it has become a discussion on product and functionality.

Please tag @Ben-ProductManager I’m am sure he will be very interested to be included

Thank you again.

Hi @Boodie to reassure you animals will always be at the very heart of who TrustedHousesitters is and why we do what we do.

Requesting certain imagery, which includes interior photos, is based on research around owner success and while the sitters applying are pet focussed they do like to see where they will be calling home and success rates for owners improve dramatically when they share the right images in their listings.

Arranging sitters and arranging sits is based on trust, trust on both sides. Just as owners wish to see pics of their sitters with animals and people to get a feel of who they are, sitters wish to see the inside of the homes they will be staying in.

A picture really does say a thousand words and a successful sit depends on getting the right sitter and the sitter getting the right pets and home to care for.

imagery is not the sum total of the decision making process but is it a significant part which makes up the whole and allows members to make their right decision.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree. I have always seen the listing as a starter to a dialogue, and i would expect to know a lot more about some sitters than what they have put onto their profile, as well as expect them to ask me quite a bit about what things are like here and what is expected. That willingness to start that friendly discussion is vital on both sides, and I am happy that most are doing it for the pets! Those are the sorts of people that I would love to meet in this process! I was quite surprised though to see how many are saying they would totally not bother with a listing if there weren’t photos of the bedroom etc, so it has made me rethink a few things.

1 Like

@CreatureCuddler - flagging a post is something I have suggested before. Facebook does it, and if THS did it, I would be far more likely to report posts. The reporting process is currently too cumbersome so I generally don’t bother. If the listings cannot go through a review process every time, then allow members to police the posts more easily.

@Boodie - I’m a new sitter so I am avidly window-shopping and checking posts. My first priority is the pets, but I want to live in a comfortable, clean, environment. I’ve seen photos of interiors that were so cluttered and untidy that it would drive my minimalist self crazy. I also like lots of light, and a gloomy, dark, place affects my mood. We all have preferences, and lack of daylight might be relaxing to some people. Better to post representative interior photos so that you find sitters who are happy spending lots of time in your home, and therefore with your pets.

7 Likes

The thing is, @Boodie, not every homeowner offers a clean, bright home or gives much consideration to the sitter’s comfort. Fortunately, those HO’s are as uncommon as sitters who do it for free rent but they do exist. Wanting to see pics of the areas we’ll be living gives us (sitters) confidence that we’ll be happy while we’re looking after the house and pets.

6 Likes

Wow, @CreatureCuddler , you have provided free of charge what would normally be a paid consultation. Implementing some of those suggestions, in particular adding image categories, i.e. sitter’s bedroom, such that the HO knows this must appear before the listing can go live, and the ability to easily flag a listing would be definite improvements. I would also suggest that when the flag is clicked, a series of choices appears to easily check off where the problem lies, such as photos, dates, presence of third parties, pets, etc. so THS doesn’t have to comb through the entire listing to figure out what needs attention.

7 Likes

@Lassie @Myhnabird
Yes, I completely understand. That’s why I’m saying I’ll be taking some photos of the bedroom and adding them at the weekend as it hadn’t crossed my mind. I had thought a couple of different living areas was enough as I had never thought about it before, but now I have I will include them! It does also mean that working the other way, the sitter doesn’t have to be worried about the sitter being disappointed in what they are coming to. For example, our old farm estate cottage has it’s quirks and it’s character, and is certainly not a ‘Homes and Garden’ sort of interior, and I would hate someone to turn up and feel awful in it. We’re all different!

1 Like

I just saw a listing this morning that has absolutely no photos at all but has 12-15 applicants so obviously it doesn’t deter some sitters from applying. I suppose if the location is appealing it’s worthwhile applying and requesting photos later. We applied on a posting once that only had a photo of the pets and I did request photos of the home. It all worked out well and we’ve done a repeat sit there.

3 Likes

Hi Annette… if you still have details of that sit, do direct message the link and we’ll pass it to membership services so they can contact the owner to add photos. All new listings have to have a minimum of 5 photos now, but those listings reactivated by existing members won’t get flagged currently, but as they get spotted they are rectified. Many thanks :slight_smile:

Hi Vanessa - I just sent it to you

1 Like

@Boodie I’m coming in late to this conversation, and I must admit to having skimmed over the posts. However, I’ll add a few more reasons I haven’t noticed here for wanting photos of the bedroom and bathroom. I don’t care about the bed size, but I know my body won’t take something like a futon, and even some sofa beds. As for bathrooms, most people have a preference over shower vs bathtub, and some with physical limitations need a specific type. Also, if you have a lot of stairs anywhere, or awkward stairs, that’s important to some sitters. Sometimes a sitter is well able to manage the pets, but limitations of the home’s style may be an issue. Better to know beforehand.

3 Likes