A giant leap - from down under

Hello friends.
Well, after hanging out amongst the gum trees over the last two years, we are taking a giant leap back into international housesitting.

International travel has only recently opened up for us and air tickets are eye wateringly more expensive than preCovid, air travel seems to be still a bit erratic and generally it seems more risky now. But hey, adventure calls.

I’m also finding it a lot more challenging leaving our pets at home, as we have to find a sitter for our lovely old girls who will stay behind in Adelaide. After a couple of years travelling with them in the van we are even more bonded so it will be tough saying goodbye to our travel buddies, even if only for a month or two.

Any other Aussies taking the plunge and applying for sits in Europe or the Uk? Love to hear how it’s going.

4 Likes

Hello Gail (@AussieGail) and lovely to see you here in the forum, and to hear that you are on the verge of returning to international house sitting!! Yay - how exciting!! Interesting to hear that tickets are that much more expensive… I guess that’s somewhat inevitable for a while, and I can imagine how strange it will be leaving the pups behind for a bit, but at least you know they will be well looked after. Where are you heading first?

Enjoy the forum and connecting with other members who will I am certain benefit from your years of experience!

All the best, Vanessa

2 Likes

Hi Gail
Well done and bet you can’t wait.
I too am embarking on international travel and housesitting again after over 2 years and fly to NZ on 31/10.
When are you planning to leave Adelaide? Where are you applying for sits?
I wouldn’t mind a sit in Adelaide but wouldn’t feasibly be there until June/July next year.

3 Likes

G’day & nice to see another Aussie round here. We’re in NZ so indeed planning on venturing to :canada: to finally see family :partying_face::partying_face: then part of the US later this year. One sit secured & actively applying for more but need to wait as late sept-oct sits are slowly trickling in.

Flights won’t be cheap but in our case, 100000% worth the multiple hops.

3 Likes

Howdy @AussieGail and great to see another Aussie on the forum. I’m in Victoria and up until January 2020 had been sitting in the UK over our winters annually since 2016. This January I decided it was time to resume my love of pet sitting in the UK and within 3 weeks I had 8 sits booked for the 3.5 months I will be over there from mid June. It’s the quickest I’ve ever been able to organise sits AND for where I want them to be - close to elderly relatives and friends mainly. I also contacted owners who I was to sit for in 2020 and they worked around my availability so I’m sitting for them as well.
I do understand how much of a wrench it will be leaving your girls behind but hopefully they’ll have wonderful sitters to love and spoil them in your absence.
Yes, airfares have increased but, as you say, adventure calls, so go for it and have a wonderful time!

2 Likes

Hi AussieGail, welcome back to international travel! I recently booked my flight to the UK and started applying for housesits over there. Currently have two long-term sits booked and have had amazing results from other sits I have applied for. Being Australian doesn’t seem to be a hindrance, as a matter of fact one homeowner said she only chooses Aussies and Kiwis! Go for it, your own furbies will be well loved whilst you are away, I know how hard it is leaving them…been there done that, bought the tshirt lol Good luck and “just do it” :wink:

4 Likes

Hi RunnerC,
So good to be able to reconnect with love ones. I’m sure you will have a fabulous time. As you say expensive for us long haulers but hopefully worth it. Please share your experience here. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome Smiley, we loved our housesitting life before and I hope it going to be as magical.

We would love to welcome you to Adelaide. Let’s keep in touch here. It’s very likely we will be needing a sitter in June / July next year.

2 Likes

Hi Vanessa and thanks for the lovely welcome here. We’re off to the UK first - Henley hopefully and then Switzerland as our daughter has been selected to row for Australia. It’s very exciting.

Congrats on the new forum - what a great idea to have this so we can all chat and share experiences. :clap::clap::clap:

4 Likes

Super! I was in Adelaide for 3 weeks in 2020 for the Book Festival, Fringe & WOMADelaide. I was lucky enough to see a free concert in the park by Tim Minchin who I love. Yes keep in touch by private message :blush: I didn’t manage to get a housesit in Adelaide but stayed in a lovely Airbnb & still keep in touch with my hostess who I got on with brilliantly. I was about to embark on my first Oz housesit in Brisbane when it was canx last minute due to the onset of the pandemic & I flew back to the UK as a result

2 Likes

Just had to pop in here and say how happy I am for you. Looking forward to your photos and stories.

2 Likes

woohoo! Welcome @ziggy
So exciting to hear and looking forward to seeing anything you care to share with us regarding your experiences.
Live and travel well!

3 Likes

Hello AussieGail
There are so many lovely sits in the UK for summer. I’m from Sydney :slight_smile: Never been to Adelaide but I hear its nice. I got stranded in the UK during the pandemic then gave up trying to get back to Oz. Joined TH and and I’m loving UK/TH life over here. I keep seeing the updates from 7 & 9 news on FB, Australia is slowly catching up to the rest of the world re living with covid. Just be more prepared for last min canx sits, I had one booked in London for a long weekend and 3 days before it was canx due to covid. I did apply for 3 other sits and explained the situation but was not lucky, the HO’s didn’t even respond and they all had 0-3 applications. I don’t like hostels and ended paying for a hotel. I guess last min canx are always a possibility but now there is more of a chance of this happening. I’m off to Spain in 2 weeks, I can not wait. My first international sit.

2 Likes

Wasn’t Tim amazing? A great night. Adelaide in March has to be one of the best sits.

Good advice. I’ve taken out the premium option here so cancelled sits are hopefully covered.
Have a fabulous time in Spain. Hope the weather is good for you.

1 Like

Yes, he was amazing. Wow! You were there! :blush:

1 Like

Thanks Amparo. So many more adventures to come. Yours are always interesting too

2 Likes

Hi @AussieGail, welcome! My husband and I are sitters in Brisbane. We started sitting at the end of 2019 and then COVID came… We are now planning a UK trip at the end of the year to sit full time dor a few months before we go to Europe in March. We hope to sit there as well. So to answer your question, we are applying for sits have have 4 confirmed already in the UK. Regards, Jenny

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like