A Little Help PLEASE!

Just keep on trying, it’s worth it!
It’s great to go places and not pay hotel costs and you get to play with cats and dogs too.
To get a sit near me (1 to 25 miles) I have actually gone to meet the Home Owner in person. Sometimes we met at the half way point between our places to save on time and gas.
It seems to me if I’m relatively close to where the pet sit is that I’ve applied for then the home owner wants to meet me first.
Of course they wouldn’t get that opportunity if I were far away.
Also (when I’m not traveling over seas) I tell home owners that I’ll bring my own sheets, blanket, towel, toiletries and food.
I find it is easier to do my sheets later than to have to rush and wash their sheets on the last day and also leave the house as clean as I found it. I also mention I can collect the mail, Pick up the dogs poo, bring in delivered packages (I also send them a photo of the package so they know its size and also the address label), and take out the trash.
My last day I leave a dollar store thank you card.
You can ask the home owner if the want a daily photo(s) of their pet and a short text. They love to get photos of you walking their dog, I usually take a photo of the dog at the end of the leash while we are walking. Ask them to send you a Trusted House Sitters welcome guide.

1 Like

Also I have had home owners reach out to me without me even applying for the sit.
This is because the noticed I clicked on the HEART symbol you will find in the upper right hand corner of their listing.
On their end they have noticed this and contacted me because they would like me to sit for them.
I have had a few reach out to me when they have searched through the sitters in the their locale area. Keeping you calendar up to date will help to.

1 Like

Also on the THS forum sign up for "last minute " sits. you may get one that way.

Here is an Idea Olivia.
In the forum you can post in . . . Meetup Opportunities - USA, Travel, Meetups & Events

I have. I’m in Utah and I posted this:
Date: July 30th to August 3rd, 2022.
Lets meetup for coffee or a meal!

You could meet for coffee or a meal in Cincinnati with a pet sitter who maybe pet sitting there. They may also be a home owner and need a sitter sometime from where ever they are from.
Also a local home owner may see your post and contact you to "interview’ you.

1 Like

I think everything in your profile is really perfect except some of the pics. I’d get rid of the first one of you in uniform since it comes across as a bit severe, contrary to what others have suggested. The second one of you smiling big is so perfect as a main pic! Also the one with what looks like worms or snakes might be a bit jarring to some folks…so maybe get rid of that one too unless you are targeting sits with that kind of pet. Good luck and welcome…you will do great I am sure!

Thanks for the helpful tips. I really didn’t want to use my uniform pic but several in the group suggested that I use the uniform pic. I have a pic that is a little less serious to post. Maybe I’ll switch it out for that one. The worms are a hobby of mine. I am a bird lover and they seem to like them as a treat! I’ll consider changing it after a few weeks.

Hey Pamela,

sorry for the late response. I’m getting ready to retire and things are quite hectic at work, home, and with family matters constantly taking up much of my time…let’s just say, I’ve been busy.

I just completed my first housesit. Thanks for the tip!
Olivia

2 Likes

Yay! That’s great news @greergoneusa! Thanks for letting us know. Congratulations early on your up-coming retirement, too!

Hi greergoneusa. Congratulations on your first pet sit! I am on my way to a pet sit now. I am bring a friend along with the home owner permission. With a friend I can take pet sits further away by spliting the drive and the gas. Pamela

2 Likes

Hi all
I’m getting really discouraged after being turned down for 5 sits :cry: I have never applied for sits over new year before. Is this a popular date? Must admit most of the sits had 3 applications before I applied but where still open & not saying “under review”
The worst bit is getting rejected without a short message. It takes effort & time to put together an application & just wish home owners would recognise this & be polite enough to send a message when declining my offer.
Does anyone else feel this way? Or am I being over sensitive?

1 Like

I’m new to THS so, without reviews, am not surprised I’m getting rejections. That said, I’ve two sits now lined up for USA and hope I can build on that. Like you, it’s annoying and disrespectful not to receive a message with the rejection. Also, I’ve applied for sits and weeks on I’m still waiting for responses. I think a set of protocols setting out best practice in relation to response time, and rejection message, should be issued by THS to all members.

1 Like

That’s disheartening. I’m so sorry you got 5 rejections in a row. I’ve read in this forum that some people have been rejected/ignored much more, in case that helps. If you link your sitter profile to the forum profile, maybe some of the more experienced members can help you sort out if there are any areas that you could improve? Hang in there!

3 Likes

It happens! Don’t take it too personally, eventually you will get accepted. We have lots of experience + reviews and even got ghosted recently after meeting with a HO in person! It probably has more to do with them than with you: it’s fine to say “No, thank you for interest, but I found a different solution”.

1 Like

If you link to your profile, then everyone can give feedback on it to make it even better!

I think feeling bad about rejection is human nature. However, I think we have to just let it slide off us like water off a duck’s back. Think of it like applying for a job in Silicon Valley: You might spend hours crafting cover letters and tweaking your resume, but you will usually hear zilch if rejected. You won’t even know if they read it.

If HOs neglect to send even a short message, it’s not malicious. Why would it be? People are just busy, or maybe a little less empathic, or maybe that’s just what’s normal in their circles. It reminds me how people used to write handwritten letters, but if someone were to expect that today, you’d say that times have changed. And our society seems to change more quickly these days than ever before. Try to learn to surf that wave!

Thanks Geoff
I’m surfing :surfing_woman: the wave & just been accepted for a New Year’s sit :heart_eyes:
Christmas & New Year is a bad time for myself & my husband since losing both our children & getting away & looking after pets helps with our loss so I think I was just feeling a little sensitive due to the time of year & I’m thrilled to now have something to look forward to :christmas_tree:

8 Likes

So happy for you @Crazydoglady - I hope you experience a comfortable and peaceful Xmas and New Year. Having pets to care for will give you comfort. Enjoy

2 Likes

@Crazydoglady, I’m so glad you found a sit.

I’m sorry you lost your children. No parent should have to go through that. Thank you so much for sharing. Pet therapy sounds good!

Back to what you said above: My therapist once helped me a lot by noting that a person’s emotions are always valid. Always. For me, I have to be honest about my own emotions. Say it’s anger. Then, I have to decide the attitude I’ll adopt, and the actions I’ll take.

BTW, don’t feel ashamed to be honest about your loss when looking for a sit, especially around the holidays. You’re just being honest, and it is truly important.

On the flip side, don’t take it personally if rejected. Busy HOs may not read all applications fully (even if it says “read”), maybe they already chose someone, or maybe they think it’s not a good fit but aren’t sure what to say. It’s not like we truly know each other from just one text application, anyway.

Many thanks Twitcher
Wishing you a merry Christmas & a Happy New Year too :christmas_tree:

Have you had someone review your requests / applications?
You may have grammatical errors, not have mentioned the pet’s name, or appeared more interested in the location rather than the animals.

2 Likes