Advice on getting your first sit please?

Hi, looking for advice or tips for getting your first sit? tia

The Forum is a great resource for finding that sort of information.
Different sitters have different circumstances so one size does not fit all.
Use the spyglass at the top of the page to search for topics.

3 Likes

Apply for last-minute sits. Even if they are a bit short, and uninteresting for travel.

My first sit was a Christmas sit, when there is more demand than supply. After the first review, it became much easier to get sits.

3 Likes

Apply for short local sits that’s what I’ve done and it’s working out really well.
You can also add your TSH profile ‘into’ your forum profile and ask for feedback- I edited my own profile a dozen times to get it right.

3 Likes

Take time to read many of the useful blogs under Help on the website to learn about what you have actually signed up for, especially the Terms of Service and Code of Contact which you have agreed to by joining.

1 Like

Be patient and apply to lots of Sits! One thing that was not intuitive for me—give lots of information in your application message (and obviously personalize your message with names of pets, etc). Apparently Owners do NOT prefer to have to GO to your profile to read all about you!

There is a great post by @Colin that suggests a foolproof way to create your application message!

2 Likes

We’re sitting for a very new HO at the moment and she had two of her 5 applicants write “I’m interested, please see my profile” & she deleted them on principle. If that’s as little effort as someone wants to make it’s unlikely to work out well @Rosemary1 Be personal & craft your response & include a what’s app number too if you’re comfortable to speed things up and show open comms. #toptip

2 Likes

I am now looking on some other sites, and there I write that kind of applications. On those other sites, it can be unclear how old the listing is and if they still want applications. Listings may have very little information and few (if any) photos, so that I don’t even know how interested I am.

I may be back on THS soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If it’s MMH @pietkuip most of them are a complete waste of time! They sit there for months unanswered & rotting IMHO #timewasters

1 Like

Right now I am mainly looking on the Dutch site (free), which is almost silly.

I am also looking on the French site (the free option for now). I will test a 3-months subscription when there is something that I really want to apply to. The listings there are often extremely last-minute.

Now I understand how little competition THS really has.

1 Like

I struggled to get my first sit so I then followed the advice on the forum to apply for a less-attractive local one, and I was snapped up. It was fine after that.

The general feeling on the forum seems to be that there are more sits than sitters at the moment - I can see tons of low applications ones, so it might be an easier time to join.

4 Likes

I found it! @Colin advice here (was not intuitive for me to make the “cover letter” so long):

2 Likes