Newbie with questions

Hello
I’m
New here and hoping my profile is showing to owners
Any tips on getting a first sit, applied for a few but no joy being accepted and no sit references yet from this site just from private sits outside this site.
I’m
Not giving up yet as paid for a year just slightly disheartening.
Any tips greatly appreciated
Much love

Hi @Rach-1

It took me six applications to get a sit. That was at Christmas, it is easier then. After the first review, your chances will be a lot better.

You could apply to short sits with the “low applications” label, especially when there is not much time left. Those may not be the most attractive sits, but when they are short you can survive :slight_smile:

1 Like

:thank you very much

Hi Rach-1, I must’ve been lucky although I’m a HO but sitters found us really quickly. We’re a bit too far for you to come here to Yorkshire but maybe try looking for something local to you to get some good reviews? Good luck.

Hi @Rach-1

I applied for 3 local sits with an explanation of being new and looking to earn my reputation when I first joined.

Got the 3 sits…

2 Likes

Hi @Rach-1
Welcome to the wonderful world of housesitting but please don’t be disheartened.
It would be a good idea to add your profile here so we can give you any tips. Here’s how to do it:

There are a lot of tips here on the website as to how to go about applying for sits. Why don’t you post an example of one of your applications, removing anything that would identify the sit, so again members here can help?
Have you included some references of people whose pets you’ve looked after, or any animal charities you may have volunteered for?
Good luck!

1 Like

Not sure what you are applying for but as others have said, start with local and/or popular travel dates ie Easter or school holidays and manage your expectations at first, there is a lot of competition for some places like Paris, Rome, New York etc and the chances of getting those sits without references are pretty slim.

1 Like

Apply for local sits to build up reviews. Tell them you are local and flexible with start and end dates and can visit beforehand.

1 Like

Thank you all
I have my available dates up with full explanation of how it would work etc
I do email with an introduction etc.
I guess it’s just lots of THS and lots of HO
I wonder what balance is of sitters or HO on here
I will keep trying :blush:
I work part time and can’t always work remotely so l guess that limits me too

1 Like

We don’t know, the company keeps this a secret. But we can see that the competition varies a lot. Some listings are getting five applications within minutes. Others struggle to get any sitter at all.

The imbalance is mostly due to location. Tourist destinations are popular but there are very few HOs on THS that live in Venice. Other factors are the number of pets and how much effort and time is required to take care of them. “Just a cat” is much easier than a bunch of dogs that require medication and frequent long walks. And of course the previous reviews (or lack of reviews, you can see that in the app).

Also Rach-1, I saw that you have children or have I made that up? Would they be sitting with you (I guess so) because there won’t always be the space for a couple of children as well as yourself. And although we have 3 bedrooms, I wouldn’t accept anyone with children regardless of their age just because we don’t have facilities for them.

Hi
My profile denotes different sits and what space would need depending on dates of sit
I only apply to ones that would work

I guess I’ve been lucky or spoilt with my private sits on small holdings all having 3 spare bedrooms !
Il keep trying thank you all

@Rach-1 have you used the search filters to find sits that have been listed as being family-friendly ?

Do not ever give up. It’s discouraging and frustrating when you are looking for that first.

Highlight your experience and any references you can gather that is relevant to home and pet care but also of your character, reliable, trustworthy etc.

There really are people who are looking for someone just like you.
If you don’t keep trying you’ll never find each other.
And in my opinion, it doesn’t matter the ratio between sitters and HO. That information has nothing to do with how or when you land in the sit that’s just right.

Enjoy the journey and your family

2 Likes

I did a couple of local sits and one a few hours away to get a few positive reviews in my profile. I’ve now been offered one overseas. Again, not the most optimal sit or timing, but one of the goals is to get a positive review on an international visit as well.

1 Like