Amsterdam - Sights, Sounds & Much More

Amsterdam is the Netherlands’ capital, known for its artistic heritage, elaborate canal system and narrow houses with gabled facades, legacies of the city’s 17th-century Golden Age.

The Museum District houses the Van Gogh Museum, works by Rembrandt and Vermeer at the Rijksmuseum, and modern art at the Stedelijk. Cycling is key to the city’s character, and there are numerous bike paths.

So what else is Amsterdam known for?

Amsterdam is known for its beautiful canals, quirky architecture, and lively nightlife. It’s also a great place to find Dutch art and culture, and the city has a rich history that dates back to the 13th century.

Did you know that Amsterdam also has more bicycles than people & more canals than Venice? Hard to imagine but true …

Source: https://www.hotels.com/go/netherlands/things-to-know-amsterdam

Share you memories and images of Amsterdam and if you’ve never been perhaps we can inspire that to change . :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Pet sitting is a great way to experience living like a local

10 Likes

Yes! Amsterdam is one of the most beautiful fascinating cities I have ever been to.
Sights, sounds, smells, flowers, rain and air fill your senses. Remarkably clean, friendly people, quiet places and busy sound filled areas.
Something for everyone. Delightful.
Rich in fun and historical places.
Thanks for the memories. I have over 150 photos. Need to do a proper write up.

10 Likes

My 2 week cat sit is nearly coming to a close sadly. I have so loved being here in Amsterdam exploring each day for a 3-4 hours going from district to district. Each offers so much.
It has been a special time, and I do love slow travel, so when I am tired of being out and about, I can come back to the comfy of my temporary home and the affection of the cats.

The other day almost in the middle of the city, everything from bicycles, trams to people, came to an abrupt holt, as the bridge lifted to let in a few huge barges. Quite amazing, so it is still very much a canal working city.

During my time here, I was reflected only yesterday, with the chaos of the bicycles, trams, and pedestrians, I haven’t seen one accident. I am sure there are some, but they really do seem minimal in line with everything that is going on. Reminds me of organized chaos!
I am going to venture to the beach tomorrow for my second to last day - Zandvoort - which is only an hour by bus and even quicker by train.
I do hope to return next year too.

5 Likes

This is what is dredged from the canals on a regular basis!

:wink:

1 Like

@Angela_L I am so looking forward to the time we can visit Amsterdam, as we have seen and heard nothing but great stories about the area. It’s funny, it was never on our bucket list until we started watching so much Youtube and all the traveling nomads who visit all the different locations and put out such great videos of the area. That’s how we decided to travel to Portugal. Would never have done so without youtube influencers…

1 Like

We spent a week in Amsterdam (and many more weeks throughout the Netherlands) this spring and summer. It was our first time there and we loved it. We’re heading back to the Netherlands in a little over a month and may try to catch a few more days there on our way through.

2 Likes

It’s the place my two beautiful grandchildren were conceived. Sorry, couldn’t stroll passed this post and not mention it :slight_smile:

@adamcchristie I think that beats Cromer! (Norfolk UK)

Ok, @Amparo, I must ask: what is that red thing in your third picture? Is that a car?

1 Like

Yes! It was a compact :rofl:

I lived there for thirty six years but moved to Nijmegen in 2020. I agree that Amsterdam is a beautiful vibrant city bit is becoming more and more unliveable for ordinary mortals. In Amsterdam we had a cramped poorly insulated apartment with zilch privacy in the summer months. So spare a thought when you are visiting for people who can’t afford the Jordaan or the ring of canals. We are legion!

We recently had a super sit in Amsterdam & one of the loveliest things we did was to visit the Theatre Tuschinski.
It’s a beautiful building with a fascinating & sad history.
We enjoyed a movie there on the ‘love seats’. I thought it was such a special place - go if you get the chance.
We had been to the city before and had done a canal cruise and cheese tasting - not to be missed along with a poke of chips with mayo!
This time we also visited Leiden - 20 mins on the train and a lovely spot - lots of shops and eateries and the obligatory photo beside the windmill when you get off the train.

7 Likes

@paws4you it sounds amazing. Please share pics if you have some available.

2 Likes

I forgot to mention Albert Cuyp market - just snack your way along this - from Vietnamese spring rolls, spicy Mexican rice dishes, fish & chips Dutch style.
And finish with some mini Dutch pancakes smothered in butter and sugar!
And remember, your coffee may be served in the cute handle less cups.

6 Likes

@paws4you great pics and now I’m hungry!

1 Like

@paws4you Thank you for the great recommendations! We have a sit in Amsterdam over the holidays and will definitely add these to our list!

2 Likes

I will second that emotion! It is a magnificent theatre. I had the privilege of volunteering for a four day event there with Mr. Greg Braden.
I have to say I was chuffed.

5 Likes

Wow - that’s amazing! Wonderful pix. The interior is beautiful. How lucky for you

1 Like

This is an awesome, vibrant, beautiful city. As a tourist, I love Amsterdam been around 6 times over the last 5 years. Love the low-key-yet-vibrant energy, bicycle infrastructure, beautiful architecture/canals, international flavor, cats in shop windows, old movies in the cinema, to get lost in those little streets.
I also recommend cities like Delft, Utrecht, Haarlem and Amersfoort more than Amsterdam tbh, they are absolutely beautiful and lively, check out the town squares in those cities: usually called ‘Grote Markt’.