An awfully big adventure - meetup in New Zealand’s South Island anyone?

Looking forward to my big trip the other side of the world which starts tomorrow night at Heathrow Airport for a flight to Christchurch New Zealand.
I’ve 7 sits booked so far in the South Island and wonder if anyone can meet up at or near any, as follows:

Ashburton: 4-14 November 2022
Picton: 15-23 November 2022
Nelson: 25 Nov - 3 Dec 2022
Picton: 5-11 December 2022
Rangiora: 19 Dec - 12 January 2023 (I’m looking forward to meeting up with @Colin who will be nearby)
Brockville, near Dunedin: 2-18 February 2023
Queenstown Lakes: 5-13 March 2023

I’d love to meet up with any sitters or owners in any of these areas.

19 Likes

This sounds fantastic @Smiley!! I’m so envious of your adventure and cant wait to hear all about it!

Roll on retirement…in 20 years, then I’ll be doing the same i hope!!

Have the best time! x

1 Like

Exciting!!!
We’ll be in NZ from Dec through April. We only have the first sit booked, which is five weeks in Wellington, and then we’ll head south. Maybe we can meet up somewhere in the South Island in March.

Have you been before?

2 Likes

We have four New Zealand sits booked so far

20th Nov - 6th Dec - Gisborne (North Island)
7th Dec - 11th Dec - Sumner (Near Christchurch, South Island)
15th Dec - 15th Jan - Halswell (Near Christchurch, South Island)
17th Jan - 15th Feb - Napier ( North Island)

We are looking forward to meeting up with @Smiley and any other home hosts or sitters that may be close by!

6 Likes

How exciting; I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time! And your planning is impressive. Hardly a gap between dates. Have a lovely time!

1 Like

Congrats @Smiley this sounds amazing or are you just avoiding the British winter? :grin:
Not that I’d blame you if so.
Have fun!

1 Like

Looks like we’ll be ships passing in the night!
Enjoy Napier! We were just there in June and loved it.
Recommend Vinci’s pizza, it’s amazing!!

1 Like

Hi @Smiley!
I know how much this means to you and how well you have prepared and looked forward to this “awfully big adventure!”.
May you always be happy, smiley, joyful and full of fun and the vigor of life.
Enjoy your journey and may your backpack always be with you, light and as full as your heart.

5 Likes

Safe travels tomorrow @Smiley. You’ve been planning and looking forward to returning to NZ for months and your sits so far have fallen into place nicely. Have a wonderful adventure and catch up with @Colin (you and Karyo have a wonderful adventure too) and any other sitters you meet along the way. Those pets in your care are going to have the best time with you. :guide_dog: :black_cat:

4 Likes

Have a safe journey tomorrow tomorrow @Smiley . Really looking forward to hearing about your awfully big adventure! I remember you talking about it when we met up in Cheltenham.
Also looking forward to hearing about @Colin and Karyo’s adventures in NZ too. It’s great that you are all going to be able to meet up on the other side of the world!

4 Likes

Loved, loved, loved Rangiroa! Bliss. Have a wonderful time.

1 Like

Thank you so much and those 20 years will come by quickly!

2 Likes

Great! Keep in touch! Yes, I’ve been before. 30 years ago I did a 3 week Contiki coach tour of the North & South, pre pandemic I was in the North Island for 6 months and 8 sits.
Good luck!

4 Likes

Thank you! I want to do some road trips too and the coast to coast railway journey

2 Likes

Thank you @Amparo lovely lady!

2 Likes

Thanks @Debbie It’ll be awesome.

2 Likes

Thank you so much @temba for your kind words

1 Like

That is good to know @Edith, many thanks

1 Like

Hi @Smiley Safe Flight & Happy Landings :airplane: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I know how much you have been looking forward to this “Big Adventure” I love NZ and it’s my dream to return one day meanwhile I shall live vicariously through all of your posts and don’t forget to include lots of pics, they do say a thousand words.

Take care, travel well and we will look forward to the “Wish You Were Here” post … although that might be expecting too much (the wish you were here part) :wink: :airplane: :earth_asia: :clap: :

5 Likes

Thank you @Angela_L

2 Likes